Autopilot ILS APR mode stopped working on 172 & TBM (at least)

Opened a ticket https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com
Unfortunately, they don’t give you a ticket number or a link to your ticket - it just goes somewhere, where I hope someone pays attention. Maybe I should switch to X-Plane for IFR?

2 Likes

OK. Now it’s even weirder.

• Installed update 8
  • tested the AP APR: works like a charm. Just like it’s supposed to be
  • went to the content manager and downloaded the dozen or so microsoft updates
  • Boom! The problem is back and maybe even worse than before!
  • Tried to remove anything that I had control over (e.g. all of the reno stuff and associated aircraft classes, even the premium upgrade, even the three most recent world updates - still, the problem is there.

Obviousely, they don’t give us enough control. So I cannot roll back to a working version. i cannot get to the state I was when it was working.

So far all I can see is that some Microsoft update breaks the autopilot. Depending on what mix of Microsoft package versions are there there may or may not be a problem. There is simply no way for me to isolate what exactly is causing this. But I am now certain that it’s something in the game itself and not any add on.

I may have to uninstall everything and start the whole setup from scratch. That would take a very long time.

No help from Asobo. No response on the files ticket. Very, very disappointed. Starting to fall out of love with this whole thing. Beautiful - yes. But anything besides VFR is too buggy.

OK.

Now it confirmed without any doubt. I uninstalled the sim. Installed from scratch to a new directory (12 hour download). Did not install any addons whatsoever. Did not download anything from the content manager, nor even the microsoft stuff.

The APR mode is completely and utterly broken exactly as described above. Reproducible every single time.

Simply cannot do autopilot ILS approaches with any aircraft unless I do VS mode (manually sticking to the GS by adjusting VS constantly)

Removed any doubt that the problem has anything to do with a third party or any of my software setup. The sim is broken and no one from Asobo is paying any attention whatsoever to the forums or responding to tickets files on their bug tracking tool.

For me, MSFS 2020 is now officially a VFR-only sim. Switching to X-plane for all IFR.

This is a very sad day for me as I have been with the FSX / P3D / MSFS 2020 platform for nearly 20 years. But it has become so buggy that I cannot fully enjoy is any longer and need to start investing in something else.

@CasualClick and everyone else on this thread - thank you very much for the attempt to support here. But after spending way too much time on chasing this severe bug when I should have been enjoying simming
instead - I have to say goodbye to IFR in this platform. It is broken and the vendor does not seem to care.

1 Like

Thanks for all the hard work getting to the bottom of this. It’s only guys like you and similar efforts that enable to prove things. I’m a massive fan of MSFS but I have to say with such a fundamental issue it’s very poor and will start to turn peoples opinions.
I’m a bit surprised we’re not seeing loads of people kicking Asobo over this one. Surely it must be effecting everyone.

Three votes as of 23-March. Just an observation.

Running parallel to this post…

Last night I flew the Mugz TBM with WT Garmin3000 mod all the way to the Runway with ILS capture !!!
I’m going to retry a Simbrief import next to narrow if the VCRUNTIME did help.
BTW the VCRUNTIME fix stuffed my FSUIPC and Navigraph Simlink installs, but simply re-installing Simlink seemed to resolve this.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ils-capture-not-working/503251/22

Count me in as having this same problem. I know how to fly approaches and have been doing so successfully until lately (not sure what point it broke). Seems to be not plane specific (both TBM930 and King Air had same problem). I’m flying along on autopilot without issue. The minute I activate the approach it goes crazy and starts making wild turns even though the GPS says that it’s tracking to the next waypoint on the approach. It doesn’t matter if it’s in GPS or LOC mode. I even try to set direct to back to the main waypoint and it goes there but then gets lost.

I’ve even tried added the dead zones on my controllers but that doesn’t have any positive affect.

I’m running the PC version of MSFS.

Ok, so I tested same flight I did the day before (KJMS-KDVL) Rwy 31 ILS Approach WADIM Transition. This used the MSFS -generated flight plan (KJMS FARRM WADIM KDVL). Just past FARRM ATC advised expect RWY31 WADIM Transition, cleared to WADIM. Although the flight plan is already in there for this, I could probably just continue on AP to the FAF and then click over to LOC mode and hit the APPR button and it would fly in, but… I entered the approach on the King Air’s flight plan, Rwy31 WADIM Transition, and then clicked "Load and Activate Approach). The plane immediately banked and went back the direction it was coming from. I went to the Flight Plan page and selected direct to WADIM. The GPS showed USR waypoint to WADIM with the new line from the plane to the waypoint and the GPS showed that it was to fly to WADIM. The plane however, continued going away from WADIM. I let it run, and it went back to the previous waypoint (FARRM) before returning drunkenly to WADIM. After WADIM it again seemed confused and I had to again give it a direct to the next approach waypoint before it finally started following the waypoints. At that point it continued normally automatically switching from GPS to LOC and capturing both Loc and GS and landing as it should.

I’m not sure that it always is returning to the previously crossed waypoint (FARRM in this case), but that’s what it did.

Pretty sure there’s some kind of bug with the Approach.

sometimes it works, sometimes not.
But I use G1000 not for AP landings, I use with G5000 (Citation Longitude).
At the Citation -standardmodel- you need to hit the glidepath (even in NAV mode) very close, I suspect about 2 degrees accurate. There is another Citation ‘update’ around where this accuracy is not required - so when you got to NAV mode it gets the right direction, even when you are miles away.
So seems a bug in current implementation - maybe you find an updated model for the 172. I fly an ‘updated’ version of Cessna Caravan for ‘sightseeing’ flights. but not using automated approach for this small plane, IFR only for the Citation.

Add me to the list of users that can’t capture loc/gs in the TBM930. Has anyone found a fix for this?

I have a clean install (steam) with no mods. Is it worth it to install the mods mentioned above?

I want to underline the comments I have read.
My experiance is sometimes it works, sometimes not. In 90% not ! I want to give some examples : for the Beach Bonanza I created my flight plan direct in the dashboard and used it from Sky Vector. It started in France : LFLC-LFHQ-LOBMO-MEN-BADAM-LFCM to LFMU. Selected altitude was 8000ft ,RW26, IFR to LFMU RW 27 RNAV.
The aircraft climbed but not direct to the selected altitude instead of that it circeled and circeled and circeled over the airfield.
I then hit the butten “direct to” and chose LFQH . The aircraft picked up the course and followed the flight plan. After approximately two hours the AP quit and the aircraft stumbled and could only handflown and not landed via RNAV.
My home base is EDFM . From there I plane my flights. So I started my flight from EDFM-VOR KRH-VOR SUL-EDTD to LFGA. Departure ,climing, en route was normal. Close to LFGA I initiated the approach for RW 0 at 2000 ft AGL. The approach was not recognized and the airfield flown over !
The flight was planned with the “CARAVAN”
At the moment there is no possibility to depart EDFM with an flight plan which includs an AP. Short after climbing ,hitting the AP and NAV button the aircraft starts to stlumble ,banks to the left and goes spiraling down .
So, I tried it with the “CARAVAN”, BEACH G36 and “DAHER”
Conclusion: the AP is trash

OK. Installed Sim Update 9. High hopes: they said that they fixed a bunch of autopilot issues (didn’t specify which). They also said they fixed issues with ILS. So I thought, “maybe somebody is paying attention here”.

The joke’s on me.

What a pathetic update. They keep saying that sim stability is a high priority. But they cannot get the basic Cessna 172 to work right. And they keep making it worse. I can try the G1000. But I am not that motivated given the absolute radio silence from Asobo, and the downplaying of these issues by the forum moderator.

These guys should stop having dreams about F-18s, propeller simulations and other fancy stuff. GET BACK TO BASICS! Get your act together people. This sim is getting worse faster than milk in the summer.

Hi
Sorry about your issue
I did a full flight with the TBM just after update 9 last night from LFMN to LEIB
Everything including ILS approach worked fine
(I run on PC)

Thanks for your test @TARAVOCHRIS . It seems clear from the conversations on this thread that only some users experience the problem. But because of the opaque practices of the Asobo ticketing system, and the lack of any user debugging / troubleshooting tools it is entirely impossible for us to know how prevalent his is. All we have is the people who respond to this old thread, which is a very weak gauge for the scale of the effect on the user community.

My point is simple: Asobo puts all of its focus on new features. They are reckless with changes, with every single release breaking exiting products. They don’t test enough, and they don’t pay any attention to serious bugs that are out there unless there are a thousand people complaining about them. Even then they may put them on the back burner behind new features.

Just look at the Concorde that they broke three times in a row. They just don’t care about users, third party developers and popular addons. They just want to push new shiny features, probably because of a fixation on getting new users.

Well - this fixation with new users will sooner or later cost them with losing existing users, gaining a reputation for instability far worse than P3D, which they originally claimed to fix, and will eventually get third party developers - the lifeblood of this hobby - to give up on them.

Myself, I now use this toy got VFR only. I am slowly migrating to X-Plane, and am even considering to go back to P3D for some types of things. I am just fed up with the monthly anxiety with these forced “upgrades”, which frankly so far broke more things for me than actually improving anything.

I can now confirm that even with the TDS 750 the problem persists.
In addition, we now have confirmation from PMDG that sim update 9 breaks ILS on short final.
It would be nice if Asobo started taking ILS and AP issues seriously as even PMDG cannot overcome some of the plainly broken issues they have with with IFR approaches

1 Like

I am experiencing the same problem but at the SEQM Mariscal Sucre Int`l airport in Quito Ecuador. When starting the ILSW RWY36 NAV approach, the indicator needles appear as normal, but when reaching the QSV VOR (aligning with the runway course inbound) the needles disappear and the autopilot does not follow the ILS or localizer pattern nor the glide slope. It happens to me on a320 Flybywire, PMDG 737 and LVFR A319. I tried with the Carenado Cessna 182 and it worked normal. If anyone has an idea how to fix it, thanks in advance.