Autopilot not following flight plan

Might be a stupid question but when you set your flight plan in world map did you select a GPS flight plan ? If so I’m not sure that the auto pilot will follow the route.

Make a flight plan and set it up as ifr low or high Airways flight plan. Choose your cruising altitude set that in your altimeter and then arm nav mode once you take off turn the auto pilot on and that will follow the route of your flight plan. You have to make the altitude changes in the altimeter autopilot section as your going along to adjust altitude but then you can use vs mode to lower and higher your plane as you wish.

1 Like

This helped me a lot!!!

@ TryingSquire06,

I too had the same problem too. Have you tried switching to Cessna Citation Longitude, set up a flight plan, you request pushback instead of the AI pilot, stop the pushback, then have the AI pilot takeover for the take-off by switching him on, and after take-off, turn him off and engage the FD (Flight Director) button, the VS (Vertical Speed) button, the VNAV (Vertical Navigation) button, the NAV (Navigation) button and then the AP (Automatic Pilot) button? The aircraft should now follow the flight plan you set up in World Map. I too had several failed flights before I stumbled on this. Hope it helps. Hope to see you in the air! :slight_smile:

PS - Also if you are approaching an airport and you are landing there, just hit the APP (Approach) button. Haven’t tried it out yet, but I will soon. Flying from London Heathrow (EGLL) to Frankfurt Am Main (EDDF) via flying over London, the Cliffs of Dover, Lille and Namur.

PPS - Apparently, if you hit the APP button, it disengages the NAV button. I am now approaching Frankfurt.

Same problem, and my solution was to quit the MSFS and restart it. It worked and was able to follow GPS.

I have the same issue with the 787, I have this issue every single flight I do after takeoff. Once in the air I basically have to correct the flight following manually until the aircraft finally catches the flight path. Its definitely a big bug that needs to be fixed. I use LNAV and the first turn it makes to catch the flight path never works, it banks so hard and will continue to turn unless you manually correct. But like I said once I correct it a few times it will catch and my flight is good after that.

1 Like

This did the trick for me. Thank you

2 Likes

Currently, the A320 Neo and the 747-8 are not really doing what I say to do in the Autopilot. A few weeks ago, things worked fine, but every now and again, the A320 Neo (I use this most often), would just go off the rails and fly in a circle (to the left).

I had looked at the chart (VFR window), and it seemed like it was following lines on the chart - like airspace in a circle.

I am not sure this is the issue.

Yesterday, I flew the A320 Neo and the 747, and they continued to fail in following my instructions on the instrument panel.

The Setup: I do NOT plan a flight, I take off like VFR, with only a departure set up. I normally fly out, take off, and set altitude, heading, and speed. Sometimes, I’d be on the runway before takeoff and set all of that up, and other times I do it after take off.

This is frustrating, because the Autopilot on a long haul flight is kind of mandatory, and if I was going to hand fly aircraft all day long, I can do that in Google Earth Flight Simulator for free (the download version, not the online version), and the scenery updates very well, and the skies are very clear.

Being able to USE autopilot, see an actual aircraft from the outside, and have weather is the reason to USE MSFS 2020.

Again, a few weeks ago, I was pretty happy with it, but now, it is like when I was Beta Testing it… and because those problems did not get fixed, I put off buying the BASIC version until Jul 2022. I normally had purchased a “best” possible version of the game since they offered those options.

I have been using Flight Simulator since it was a black and white screen, with no real visual references, and landing on a “runaway” was a stroke of luck more than skill.

1 Like

AND … TODAY, IT IS WORKING - WTH!!!

UPDATE - OOooops - hold on to that thought - flying in death circles again… lovely!

The PROBLEM is that the Autopilots malfunctioned during Beta two years ago… and they are still (every now and then) NOT working…

If they work, I am happy - if not… then not so happy. When I pay money for things, I really demand that they work.

ADDED: Here is an image - note the airspace in the VFR map - note the vertical line on the instrument panel - the plane, this time, is turning to the right, when it should be turning left.

It seems to have recovered from that, and is now flying the heading I put in the AP.

SOMETHING, somehow, is taking these aircraft off course. Here is what it SHOULD be doing:

And now it is turning to the right… I swear it is following the line on the chart!

OK… I have to hand fly, whilst it is on Autopilot, but slightly making corrections - too far, and it shuts off the autopilot, and I have it (for now) under control. This is unacceptable in so many ways!

Moved to Community #self-service:aircraft-systems - this thread has one vote, and a total mish-mash of scenarios, none were reproduced to a significant extent.

In your second image, the aircraft is on heading 080, as set here unless I am mistaken.

The first image, where you say it should be turning left, is in fact turning right, from ~323 to 080:

I don’t fly heavies but that looks to me like it’s doing what it should be doing. Why would it turn left from 323 to get to 080?

2 Likes

Excellent point - it had flown past 080 and continued to turn right… it continued in a full circle a few times.

It will do this to the left and to the right… I edited and updated my post.

I seriously have no idea why it is doing this… taking off east from LAX, the 080 is about right to make the mountain pass in the distance - and be a lot higher, but through the pass none the less.

I was making different heading changes to try and figure out where it goes off the rails.

I used the Textron 350 (prop) last night, and the Cessna Citation, and those Autopilots worked fine.

Of note, on this flight now, A320 Neo, I manually set a direct to KRSW, and it is heading on that fine - for now - yesterday, same flight, near KRSW (Lee County Florida) i went off the rails about 150 - 250 miles from KRSW.

If it were GA I would think the HDG mode had not actually been enabled. If it keeps circling like that maybe its more like an attitude hold?

1 Like

Nope - it works along the lines of FSX - same idea, same theory, same settings.

1. Set speed, altitude, heading - but in FSX, I can set Speed at like 250 kts, and hit the button, and it will accelerate from a dead stop, in MSFS 2020, I have to be rolling, and have speed. In FSX, I can set the Altitude and Heading, and once I have speed to climb, hit the button for altitude, and once established in decent flight, and climbing out, hit the button for heading, and off I go.

2. For FSX, and MSFS 2020, I can have all the settings set up before I roll, get rolling, take off, and then hit what I want activated.

3. NORMALLY, I would set an IFR flight plan - or a GPS Direct - or no flight plan (along the lines of “Once airborne, you will receive instruction,”)

4. For MSFS 2020, I start the roll, take off - and in the A320 Neo, the Auto Throttle seems to light up, but if not, I push the button and let it decide a safe speed.

5. I can set the heading for the runway heading, and the altitude for 5K, 10K, or whatever I might want for that flight, and hit the full auto flight controls right away, and it would fly the runway heading, and then, say - I have a GPS direct flight set up - once they tell me frequency change approved, I can hit auto heading, giving it to the AP, and it would fly me along the proper heading.

So, for the A320 Neo, for me, it is the simplest of the jets (I only have the basic package, so Cessna, 747, and A320) to set up and get going. The Cessna would be fine, but the speed is manually set, and a bit of a pain, and I am no where near where I need to be with the 747, but the A320 had been working great not that long ago, and I could fly from Europe to the US with it - no issues with AP…

This is why it bugs me so much… and especially since I held back from acquiring it due to the bugs during our Beta Testing. It is also why I did not acquire the priciest package too… and why, sadly, I won’t be pickup up and Pay ware Aircraft any time soon either.

Is it possible you just hadn’t enabled heading mode?

1 Like

Especially since you don’t seem to understand how Autothrottle works in the A320 Neo.

1 Like

I truly do completely understand the auto throttle, so that is not the issue, and auto throttle has been working the whole time… it is primarily the heading thing… and I am super-d-duper cool on understanding that in the A320 Neo in the default basic version… I only had problems with it during the Beta Test - and reported those… and now recently.

I did wait a while (Jul 2022) to purchase the program, and that was due to the Beta Test, and reviews once it was released.

Really? I’m only saying that because your comment seems to indicate a lack of understanding.

There is a definite, clearly defined way of setting up autothrottle on the A320 Neo that always works. Your comment seems to indicate that there is some uncertainty with your procedure.

1 Like

I have been properly enabling my control by “pulling” the knob - I am currently on a flight from Arizona to KRSW - and I am using 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 degree changes - and so far it is holding.

It DID NOT start out this way. Upon wheels up, it instantly wanted to go somewhere I did not want it (or tell it) to go.

I had to manually steer for the heading while on AP, gently, to get it to go the heading I wanted it to go.

I did take note that at one point in the gentle steering, it seemed as though the AP “took” control of it, and I let the AP take control… the first time, it needed me to help it again, but now, it is working.

All of it is wrong though - so long as I am correctly setting up the AP, it should work as it had been over the past few weeks - until I noted the circle turns a week or so ago.

I assure you that I know how it works… The auto throttle has not been the issue for this problem, it is heading only.

What I am referring to on the Auto Throttle - again, NOT an issue for me in this - is that, say I want to come in for a landing. I MANUALLY set the speed down to 240 Kts, and as I go below 10K, and down to approach, I hit the “Auto Speed” - and let the aircraft work for me… as I drop flaps per setting… oops - hang on, aircraft lost heading hold and went into a left turn to death…

I think I can save it… but I think I will make a video of what is happening - that way, there won’t be any question of what is happening.