Autopilot selected (armed) Altitude and actual altitude are not the same

Autopilot does not stop at selected altitude.
MSFS 1.14.6.0
MSFS 1.15.7.0 same problem after this update
MSFS 1.15.8.0 same problem after this update (4-16-21 1950Z)

Baron

I’ve had this happen before. I believe it is because Baro pressure wasn’t set to current while on the ground, awaiting takeoff. Maybe…

Have you tested it today with the correct (ATC) Baro set?

In the middle of the upgrade, I’ll try later and post results. Another thing I’ve noticed is that, Live Weather can affect the Baro. If you’re not actually flying live weather, the Baro will always be 29.92 inHg. A switch today resulted in a Baro change from 29.92 to 30.28. I can only enable live weather after takeoff by using the pull down menu and selecting Weather from there. You get some pretty dramatic results by doing that, wind direction and speed shifts, Baro shifts, etc. I can usually accommodate those changes by Ref Alt cancellation, barometer correction, new Ref Alt and then adjust VS to get to the Ref Alt again.

Ok, looking forward to your test results.

Me too! At the moment, I’ve gotta figure out why I no longer have a Profile after the upgrade…

Did you get MSFS 1.14.6.0 working ?

1 Like

Negative. I’m hoping that the correct update will show up in the MS Store soon…

Your last update 1.14.6.0 is not working ?

Today I Updated to 1.15.7.0 (21.25GB) without a problem.

The MSFS notes mentioned an Altimeter issue was fixed in the new update.

However, I am still seeing the same problem in the new update.
Edit:
Internet aviation weather reported altimeter setting 30.10 for KDTW.
So did MSFS Live weather ( ATIS for KDTW 30.10) now.

So with the only aircraft I have left after the botched update, (still no Profile), I did this this morning. I set a short flight and, on the runway, intentionally adjusted Baro from 29.92 to 29.98. Set Ref Alt to 7500 and VS to 200 fpm. Aircraft climbed to 7500 and then added an additional 70 feet of altitude, settling in at 7570. I then repeated the flight, this time leaving the Baro set at 29.92. Aircraft climbed at 200 fpm to an altitude of 7500, no induced error was noted. I noticed in both your pics, the Baro is at 30.07 and 30.10 respectively. Not sure if you are flying with Live Weather or what, but for whatever reason, it seems a Baro setting of anything other than 29.92 induces an error it the Alt Hold mode. I note the same behavior when I fly in live weather and adjust my Ref Altitude to compensate. Not the best work around (especially landing, where you have no idea where the actual ground level is, LOL!). Not sure if this is helpful, but the Alt Hold error behavior is repeatable, at least, for me…

I do not fully understand your test.

I am flying the Baron (my screenshots).
KDTW
MSFS Live weather
ATIS altimeter setting from MSFS ATC.

When I reach the armed altitude it is incorrect.

Could you do the same test I did?

Edit:
Did you take screenshot to share?

1 Like

Sorry if I was unclear. It’s difficult for me now to fly anything other than the Beech G36 in that the update destroyed my profile. What I’d like you to try is this: Do not use Live Weather, set a custom clear sky flight. Prior to takeoff, verify that the barometer is indicating 29.92 inHG. Set a reasonable altitude, 3000 feet or so above the runway and a VS of 200 - 300 fpm. See if the aircraft will fly to the Reference altitude and hold with little or no error. When I do this, the aircraft hits and holds the target altitude every time. I think there is an ‘undocumented feature’ (bug) that does not let the G1000 adjust its Altitude seek and hold algorithm to any barometer setting other than 29.92. Any other barometer setting induces an error.

The test and altitude problem I reported was stated previously. It has nothing to do with custom clear skies and 29.92 baro.

For some unknown reason you cannot do a test with MSFS Live weather and MSFS ATC metar data.

I flew a test with the Beech36 and it has the same problem (screenshot) I reported with the Baron.

Let me check my settings, but I just flew out of Charles DeGaulle to a neighboring airport 30 NM west. From the World map, selected Charles DeGaulle as departure, and the other airport as arrival. Nothing else. On the runway, prior to takeoff, barometer is at 29.92. I take off with altitude set at 2500, VS at 200 FPM. The aircraft ascends to 2500 +/- 5 feet and holds. I arrive at the selected airport area, set altitude to 1400, set VS to -200 FPM, the aircraft descends at that rate and holds at 1400 until I disengage Autopilot and land. If I fly with live weather, the barometer is always something other than 29.92 (your example, 30.03), and the aircraft will hold at the selected target altitude plus some induced error caused (I believe) by the different barometer reading. It’s a bug, I guess.

Are you going to do a MSFS departure (not a full flight) and climb (to any initial altitude like 4000 feet) in your Beech36 using MSFS Live Weather, the current ATC Baro setting and do screenshot of the resulting captured altitude?

Yes, I can do that! Good idea, I think what will happen is that it will miss the ref alt by the amount of the deviation from 29.92. I think the greater the deviation, the greater the error in actual vs reference altitude. I bet that if the baro pressure is lower than 29.92, the altitude reached will be lower than ref alt. I can do that both ways, I’ll let you know!

So, good news, bad news. Took off from runway, baro indicates 29.92, weather live (crappy, by the way). Set alt ref to 8000, VS to 300 FPM. ATC reports baro is 30.07, set that, and watch as the aircraft ascends to 8000 and settles at 8005 feet. It didn’t behave like I suspected it would, so something else is going on with your situation.

Which airport did you just test?

I cannot read the autopilot and airport information at the top of garmin screen?
In Green LVL ? and other information?
Are you flying the Beech 36 (TM-R519)

This is a flight from KBKF, Buckley AFB in Aurora, CO. Sorry about the pic quality, just a printscreen capture. Yes in LVL, and flying the Beech G36. I’ll try your flight from Detroit Metro to an altitude of 3000 feet in HDG mode. Can’t fly the Baron, 'cause I still only have one aircraft, the Beech. I’ll let you know later today.

KSEA field elevation is approx 432 feet

Real world and MSFS Live weather ATIS (118.00) is reporting Baro is 30.12 now (4-15-2021)

At runway with baro set to 29.92 altimeter reads 230 feet WRONG
At runway with baro set to 30.12 altimeter reads 420 feet OK

Note : 420’ minus 230’ is a 190 feet difference

Set autopilot, armed climb altitude to 3000 feet in Beech 36

Takeoff and climb on autopilot

Aircraft stops at 3190 feet WRONG

So, if your flight (any airport) in the Baron or Beech36
has has takeoff altimeter setting near 29.92 then your climb to target altitude will be near correct.

If the takeoff altimeter setting is higher e.g., 30.12 then your climb to target altitude will be incorrect by an amount equal to the 29.92 / 30.12 difference.