Bad performance (Low FPS) with World Update 3 and new London photogrammetry - possible memory leaks

Not sure if it’s worth mentioning but I have seen some odd juddering using reprojection (OXR) in scenery where it’s otherwise been completely smooth during the flight - no apparent loading or heavy scenery involved - just appears out of the blue.

I put this down to the use of ‘Automatic’ setting on OXR as I had it on by mistake and I usually fly with ‘Always on’ which has never caused me a problem and it seems to be more efficent.

@sneaky74 Yes this might be the case indeed because sometime it switches between two modes depending on the actual fps and a threshold when in Auto. This is happening with the Index and SteamVR too since WU3. The only explanation I have for now is the FS2020 rendering code is stalling when updating some DX11 buffers and it looks to me these are vertex buffers mostly (per cross checking some settings which are mostly vertex buffer related and the actual glitches at runtime).

1 Like

Yep that was my thought also (but without the deep technical knowledge haha). :joy:

Pity as ‘Automatic’ is nice as you get a crisp menu UI as reprojection is clearly not needed there and it can adapt when you’re in heavy scenery - the benefit being you get a clearer image depending on how little the reprojection is being used (x2 or x3 - runtime preview enabled).

1 Like

So what puzzles me with London is there are clearly graphical glitches in the scenery - the Thames has these strange reflective spot which appears to be windows to scenery rendered below the London photogrammetry.

It wouldn’t suprise me if it wasn’t just trees they were rendering twice but a completely new layer which should be culled from view.

With SteamVR you can get up to 6 to 1… And it is working with the same quality as WMR motion smoothing now (it used to be under delivering before). This is quite stunning to render at 18fps and display at 90hz with the Index. I didn’t believe it myself at first (and I’m quite accustomed to the tech I guess). This helps flying since WU3 lower perfs in the meantime…

1 Like

[World Update 3] Wireframe view of the London mesh reveals very tiny triangles even in the distance
[World Update 3] London Photogrammetry Mesh Holes

2 Likes

Is it possibile to cut off photogrametry in developer mode over London and save it as scenery? Because without photogrametry it looks much better and smooth.

What if they will broke Paris in next update and other big cities?

2070S, 3700X, 32Gb RAM @ 3200

Over London my VRAM is maxed out at 1440p, mostly high settings some ultra. Render scale 100, ground textures at 130.

RAM over London is sitting at 13-14Gb and is stable, I can fly multiple loops and see little change.

FPS holds at 30-40fps even at sub 500ft.

This is pretty similar for me in NY and Tokyo

I want autogen back. Also the colours of photogrametry in London looks bad, it’s also to dark, too much yellow and blue.

I fly Photogrammetry: OFF because the world look much better that way.

In London sure, but there are some places where photogrametry looks very good, USA, SPAIN, ITALY, SWITZERLAND

Problems with London photogrammetry are mentioned in the last dev Q&A at around 01:07:00

1 Like

Xbox X or Xbox S? I assume that the 500€ Xbox X can compete with a 750€ PC like I have. That is ~40fps in MSFS 2020
By the way the Microsoft MS-Windows OS is a real CPU hog compared to Linux. I don’t know how “small and fast” the Xbox OS is. But if it has Linux speed, alone from this fact the Xbox can compensate 20% less CPU speed in my opinion.
I can’t say anything about the Xbox S.

I am really afraid what will happen with the simulator when we get DirectX 12 support… all mods and addons incompatible and the simualtor itself with 1000 new problems.

did i miss something there?

FS2020 1.14.5.0 Norway in between Bergen and Oslo LOD 200 and don’t even mind the reduced terrain and vegetation LOD with the latest patch. “lossless optimisation” as Sebastian Wloch describes it at 1:16:08 ???

I agree, photogrammetry is a great base, but not suitable for final product, it woudl be way too slow, as it’s not optimized , and doesn’t look great anyhow

I have just taken a 15 minute flight after applying this “fix” and observed no stutters. Will test more thoroughly next week when I have more time, in the meantime it would be interesting to see if it works for others. Please post your findings.

Stuttering From Last Update | Fixed!!!

This is an excellent initiative from “Unreality145”, it just got my vote!

With your systemsettings FPS broken you talk ■■■■■■■■

I’m gonna contribute here; I’ve been getting abysmal performance after a few hours of flying around, and I think I pinned it down to photogrammetry. It’s not just London: areas like Atlanta, Hartford, Fargo, Minneapolis, etc., all eventually cause FPS to tank abysmally low (talking ~5FPS or less) after hours of flying.

I’m not sure what the deal is; is it that photogrammetry gets loaded into the session and never unloaded after you leave the area?