Bad performance (Low FPS) with World Update 3 and new London photogrammetry - possible memory leaks

Yes, its somewhat acceptable when flying at 2000ft, given that the buildings are molten anyway, but its just not relative to any other photo city anymore. Its not crying about bad fps on beefy hardware, would be happy with 20 and stable frametimes in such heavy scenarios, but in comparison to other photo cities its just bad.

Have you checked your RAM usage if its running full in London?. RTSS is giving good values for it i think.

Could be the molten buildings causing the issues themselves, as they are calling more triangles than normaly needed

1 Like

My RAM usage in London is 24 to 26 of 32 GB so very high if you take into account that Tokyo and NYC load 18 or 19.

I just made some tests. Flying in around 1500 to 2000 ft and the performance is really okā€¦ around 25 to 30 FPS for me. But anything low Altitude and its a catastrophe.

Okay so deffo not alone here with these issues as some dudes say something about 50+ over London.

RAM could be dependend on what program used to read it out. MS Devtools say 24G-27G for me as well.
RTSS just says 32056MB systemwide :cold_sweat:
Will try without community folder next

1 Like

I could try to uninstall ORBX London City Airport i am curious if that will better the overall performance. I used GPU-Z to read the system ram usage.

1 Like

Okay so, i did remove the complete community stuff and deleted the content.xml in appdata/local.
RAM usage was significantly lower after loading into EGLC (23/32G instead of 29/32G) having 45-55FPS. Took a short hop from the airport down the river at 500-1000ft. Performance was better in the first one or two minutes but as soon as passing the docks, performance dropped more and more with RAM usage being at 31/32G three minutes after departure and FPS coming back down to 10-15 again.

Pausing the sim for 2 or 3 minutes will help a bit with performance in a small area

1 Like

For me its all about altitude. Over 1500 to 2000 ft it stays enjoyable at 30 FPSā€¦ everything below 1000 ft ist causing massive freme Drops to 15 FPS. So thats what MS and Asobo need to fix i think.

It seems there is some kind of memory leak with the scenery or something similarā€¦

3 Likes

No Multiplayer was Off all the time

I too can confirm Iā€™m seeing massive FPS drops in London city and can barely maintain 6 FPS at the airport, making the sim unplayable.

I am also in Texas and wondering if our winter storm is the culprit but itā€™s painful. My 32gb ram are almost maxed out and my 3080 canā€™t even sustain 20fps like it did before. What a mess.

Pretty much the same on my end. With ultra settings, I can do New York and Tokyo at 1440p just fine on a Ryzen 5 5600X and 3080. There would be hiccups at first but then it would stabilize around 30fps and never drop below 24 unless the weather needs to catch up.

With London, Iā€™ve seen as low as 18 fps sustained and the quality looks rather suspect.

Nothing to do with MP, its some kind of memory leakage some, including me, will have, with mp off its just 20secs to 1min later when problems will begin.

On low alts <200ft it goes to 1 digit fps, then freeze to clear some ram like 3-5gigs, and repeat

It is def worse than NY, but on 3080 still getting around 25FPS compared to 30 in NY. A big issue is running out of VRAM there. I will probably go down to HIGH texture quality for this.

Not sure if the lack of VRAM is causing it to render pretty badly too. This is on 200 terrain LOD every else ultra or more where possible, waited a good few minutes for everything to load.

Maybe it is just better to turn it off or remove the package?

you need to set that up differently now. seen posts about it and solutions.

Same poor performance at low altitude over London here (5700XT, Ryzen 3700). Continuous stutters, 10 - 15 fpsā€¦ pretty bad. I wonder what they did (or didnĀ“t do)?

More to the point, again one wonders how Asobo tests before releaseā€¦ Certainly not on relatively high-end machines (as I consider mine), they must have some real screamers over there. Specs, Asobo?

When looking at the wireframe structure of the London PG mesh, you canā€™t help wondering are all these really necessary:

There are a bunch of tiny groups of dozens of triangles everywhere, even farther away in the distance, and this is definitely a lot. I didnā€™t compare yet with NYC but if someone with a 4K monitor (for the details) can try, you just have to enable Dev Mode and select Option | Wireframe

1 Like

DISCLAIMER: The coded word begins with P. LOL I have everything looking great (non-VR) but when I get to lets say, downtown London, the buildings like The Shard and Walkie Talkie look TERRIBLE! They look like big blobs of something with very little resemblance of a building. Broken lines, slanted angles etc. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG, or in simple terms, what causes this to happen? I have the settings set to ULTRA thinking that this may fix it or narrow down the cause.

1 Like

you arenā€™t doing anything wrong. This is photogrammetry. Itā€™s just not that good. :frowning:

One other thing ā€“ go to your DATA settings and make sure photogrammety and bing data are on.

1 Like

Thank you Moxie, I really appreciate it! Man, I thought I was screwing this up cause all the other buildings look fine. Hereā€™s a shot of that I am talking about.

Yes, they are all ON,

I do not understand how an area can be built to show buildings like these, then look like c*** when you fly next to them. What am I missing?