Gwalior (VIGR), India beacon tower on runway 06L

I filed a Zendesk ticket

That’s the airport beacon tower. I’ve seen a one or two of those myself.

Yeah I thought that might be a beacon tower, but wasn’t sure.

Regardless they both hurt :wink:

1 Like

Hello! I’ve seen this on quite a few auto-generated airports; I think it would be useful to change the title of the issue to “Beacon towers from runways/taxiways” and allow people to add airports to the list.

Kind of funny, but definitely an issue that needs fixing. :slight_smile:

Do you have the zendesk ticket number? Maybe it’s even better to add airports to that list directly, if possible.

Good suggestion. I changed the title to something more appopriate.

The ticket number is: #90903

Great! Thank you!

SNAT rwy 27 is another example of an airport with a beacon tower a bit too close to the runway.

2 Likes

I have also occasionally seen these towers in the taxiways as well as taxiway lights and taxiway signs.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Oamaru (NZOU) tower in middle of runway

I think the FAA and my local LBA really frown upon huge lattice masts placed 5m off the runway edges and I think I’ve never seen a beaon on such a tower in RL. The easiest fix would be to just abandon these stupid towers altogether, even a floating beacon light in the air is better than looking at those huge masts stuck way too close to the runway on tiny airports. This is one of the most cartoonish features of FS.

Hello,
Could you kindly confirm if you still see this? I checked the airport and I do not.

Hello,
Could you kindly confirm if you still see this at SNAT? I checked the airport and I do not.

Hello!

I can confirm, the beacon tower on the runway is gone now. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen any strangely placed beacon towers lately (it wasn’t uncommon to find them earlier by picking a random small, hard-surface auto-gen airport).

I do note however, that the beacon tower is now completely removed from the airport. This is clearly an improvement over having it on the runway, but is it correct?

Thank you for the update and for having looked into this issue!

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don’t have access to Brazilian charts to tell you.

If I go to this location (-4.569937274306749, -37.80161950025209) in Bing and …uh, that other mapping website, I don’t see one. But that doesn’t definitively tell me that it doesn’t.

If you find out that there is one, please feel free to log a separate bug for it. Thanks!

Hello,

I wrote that I did not see a beacon on the runway and asked for a confirmation:

I did not hear back, so I am closing this bug report.