Beechcraft King Air 350i Propeller RPM/Throttle weirdness

I have searched these forums for a bit and googled other places as well, but I can’t find any solution to this problem I seem to be having. I know that Turboprop logic was updated last patch, but I don’t know exactly what that means.

Anyhow, here is my problem:

I push the propeller RPMs up to full after starting the plane. During taxi, the RPM seems to be staying fine (and the sound seems correct) and the speed is what I expect it to be, given my throttle. Then I fly my route and land at my destination. As I come off the runway after landing, and having brought the throttle back down to 0, the RPM remains super high (and the sound reflects this). During taxi i have to keep holding down my brakes to not go up towards 40-50 knots. It’d probably go even higher if I let it. And that’s at 0 throttle. Before taking off from my departure airport, the plane would be still at 0 throttle 100 RPM.

If I bring the RPM controls down to 0 and then back up to 100, it seems to fix the problem, but surely this shouldn’t be necessary?

Is this intended, even after the turboprop logic fix? Am I just missing something?

Hi
Just so you think you’re going crazy you’re not
I’ve had the same issue before though this was with a 3rd party aircraft…I would quickly cycle the prop lever and it would revert the throttle and engine sound back to normal .

I thought it was a 3rd party addon issue but obviously not

Your “throttle” (power setting) is never at 0%. I quit playing MFS a few months ago due to terrible turboprop inaccuracy, but idle power is set by the condition levers, were you possibly in high idle? If so try setting the condition levers to low idle.

This sounds identical to my B350 issues back in September-November '20 (after which point I switched to CJ4). So I assume not much has changed since then.

1 Like

Sure, I can do that and it’ll probably fix it. But why is it different when I start taxiing at departure compared to the taxi after landing at destination?

Probably because there are so many things not modeled or simulated properly in this game. In the PT6’s I’ve flown the high idle condition is only used after start to get the RPM % up enough to get the generators online, and then they get set back to low idle. High idle is dang near enough power at idle to takeoff with and shouldn’t be used for taxi. But as far as why is it different during taxi and after landing, well, it shouldn’t be, and it’s probably just yet another inaccuracy of the game.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue with the King Air 350i. Throttle is at roughly 50% even though the indicator says otherwise. Using the virtual throttle control to briefly set to reverse temporarily fixes it. Using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick.

I’m having extreme difficulty slowing the plane down for landing at SABA with gear, full flaps, and full idle it’s still zooming past the runway with with lift…something is off here…

Same weirdness here. The only option how to go in “negative thrust” is by mouse in virtual cockpit, pull the throttle down from idle - but this procedure is unacceptable.
No keyboard assigment working so far(f2,toggle reverse…). So when landing at SABA it is unreal to stop with this plane, until you almoast fall at the runway(under 80kts) and only using the brakes.

If this topic is still alive…
I would like add my position on this one.
So, the real b300/B300c has the power lever in 3 spectras (positions). 1st being with positive beta (normal flight position), 2nd is ground fine that allows a beta of near 0 degrees with idle power and 3rd reverse beta with control of power. All physically are divided with lever stops actuated by a pulling mechanism by rising the levers.
Also at idle power and low idle condition lever the plane will move, so for taxing you control the speed by using all three positions and generaly you would use mostly the 2nd so you don allow the plane to accelerate too much for taxi. Positive beta (1st position) will be used mostly for turning with differential engine power. Where for the most tight turns you can use one engine in 1st position and the other engine in 3rd power position for maximal differential power to help the turn.

Now as for MSFS Asobo and BlackSquare those are not implemented correctly. In the sim you have positive beta power and negativa (reverser). The reverser behaveor of the sim is made in a way that when it is engaged it goes to maximal reverse beta (15 or 8 degree depending on the mod used) and initiates a spool up that is linked to maximal reverse power setting in the configuration file. All that giving you strange behavior and too much reverse power on just touching the reverser position and also when exiting the reverser position, due to spooling, the normal idle catches too much power in positive beta transition until it looses the momentum.
If you ask me this problem is only resolvable by introducing new behavior tables in config files or by an external XML control