Beechcraft Model 18 - ATC type/model designation missing or invalid

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

ATC type and model are missing on atc interaction, leading to nothing being spoken but the registration on VFR flights/traffic reporting to passive traffic.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Start any VFR flight using the Beechcraft Model 18, **DON’T use a custom callsign, just add some aircraft registration)
  2. Call ATC to request flight following and notice that the “type” is missing entirely (blank space in transcript "type, " instead of “type Beechcraft 18”, )
  3. Notice that in general just the registration of the aircraft is spoken without any model information (e.g. “N123MS” instead of “Beechcraft N123MS”).

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

/

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Solution for Carenado to fix the issue:

The missing information is part of the default MSFS atc database. However it’s called differently on MSFS than on P3D or FSX.

The correct entry for atc_type is inside of ATCCOM.AC_MODEL BE18.0.tts, the correct model is either inside of ATCCOM.ATC_NAME BEECH.0.tts OR 1. ATCCOM.ATC_NAME_BEECHCRAFT.0.tts (matter of taste)

The correct lines to be defined in aircraft.cfg will be:

atc_type=“TT:TCCOM.ATC_NAME BEECH.0.text”
atc_model=“TT:ATCCOM.AC_MODEL BE18.0.text”

This would lead to atc calling the aircraft “Beech 18_” and “Beech N123MS” if no callsign was added.

OR

atc_type=“TT:ATCCOM.ATC_NAME BEECHCRAFT.0.text”
atc_model=“TT:ATCCOM.AC_MODEL BE18.0.text”

This would lead to atc calling the aircraft “Beechcraft 18” and “Beechcraft N123MS” if no callsign was added.

NOTICE that .tts must be changed to .text and TT: has to be added in front of the actual called database entry!

If Carenado wants to use a atc_type/model which does not conform the database entry the text can directly be parsed which is however not recommended by Asobo using $$: instead of TT:

atc_model=“$$:Twinbeech”
atc_type=“TT:ATCCOM.AC_MODEL BE18.0.text”

This would lead to atc calling the aircraft “Twinbeech 18” and “Twinbeech N123MS” if no callsign was added (most convenient imho).

I noticed this also when using Little Nav Map to track my flights, the aircraft type and model is blank in the log entries in LNM when flying this aircraft.

1 Like

It’s actually an issue most devs make because compared to the other FS based sims atc over here works different :wink:

In FSX and others the call was just made using atc_type=“Beech” and atc_model=“BE18”, so I guess most think it still works this way but it actually doesn’t :wink:

Yeah, I noticed also with the Big Radials Goose, in LNM logs it says Grumman for model but type is empty. I always have to edit my logs in LNM after flying to add the type.

In general the system is a bit inconvenient as these databases both basically are not needed. Text for atc can even in offline mode be parsed by writing “$$:Model name or type” in aircraft.cfg.

Asobo could remove the atc type/model entries and just add the “$$:” to the string → this way one would only need to write the model text into aircraft.cfg which then would be spoken by text to speech :wink:

ATC now calls the Model 18 “Beechcraft”.