Been pretty quiet so far but it needs to be said

You can do that by looking at the images I shared, too.

Sorry, haven’t experienced that problem.

Why 70+? All you need is 30 for smooth flight…unless you’re flying fighter jets and doing aerobatics with them and even then you still don’t need more than 30.

1 Like

That’s talking about a menu option.

OMG :rofl:

Wouldn’t that mean it will get much worse when the XBOX LOD is fully enabled?

Stop scaring me :laughing: . I dont really understand all of that, maybe someone knows more about that?

Do you use VFR charts?

Exactly my point, lol. I was content with the ~40 FPS (at least) pre-update. When I loaded in MSFS and was seeing 70+ FPS on full-blast (which is what I was using before) I was like “Wow, this boost is huge!” but then you fly around and start raising an eyebrow figuring out why it’s happening.

1 Like

Yep I think I do.

2 Likes

This could also explain what the folks on the PMDG forum said. According to them the beta had massive fps gains (I suspect aggressive XBOX LOD in place) which strangely evaporated days from release to the 10-12 extra fps we are seeing now (LOD back to old PC setting). This could mean if the LOD optimization eventually gets fully enabled, the popping could become insane. Obviously a change by factor of 10 will result in objects popping like crazy.

Yes. However, that really doesn’t make any difference in the fact that I’m not experiencing the degradation that you say you are experiencing.

Look… I spent many years arguing with customers as a technical support engineer to varying degrees. I refuse to work in that type of role ever again for one reason only: Too many people called up tech support to vent their anger and were so busy with conspiratorial thinking and their endless desire to argue and feel like they were “right” that they wouldn’t listen to anything I told them until I got sarcastic with them and put them in their place. Then and only then did they stop talking and listen. I went home every day with my blood boiling.

I don’t want to get sarcastic with you, so that is why I’m going to cease responding to you.

Right…now.

2 Likes

I agree and I have always thought that the “Corporation” should concentrate on the “CORE” program first and the Marketplace and 3rd party developers LAST ! Now that they are getting a new influx of $$$, maybe they can take a deep breath, step back and work on the core program .

Well, its already served anything on the table, they cant take it back anymore. But a reliable point from you!

Only reason I will not pursue this further, I genuinely care for your well-being.

When at corporate level you have a new influx of $$$ , you don’t take a “deep breath and step back” you use those $$$ for funding other things that can generate other $$$$ in the short terms , varied investments lead to varied returns , throw 800 things at the wall and see what sticks , if something remains attached, exploit it as humanly possible and move on to the next thing.

Fortunately, even if it doesn’t seem like that , the videogame industry in this one it is far behind the others.

You still should, last time I didn’t do that it created a ton of random spikes in the terrain and it bugged out some 3d assets (floating in the air)

Objects with one LOD shouldn’t even exist ingame. It means they only have the close up detail LOD and it’s terrible.

2 Likes

Ok that actually makes more sense

The objects need to have 3 LODs for the system to really work, and the 3rd party developers need to understand that and create 3 versions.

What I still not understand though is why Asobo uses different textures from Bing maps for different zoom levels, creating a horrible tile pattern effect when the LOD changes, which now happens much more often.

Instead of using completely different aerial/satellite images at different zoom levels they should use the highest zoom level as base and only create lower res versions (basically MIP maps of the same image)

1 Like

So my average frame rate moved from 24 to 34 and only because the quality was lowered by Asobo?
Would this be also called the draw distance?
I didn’t know we had a previous state on the PC?

I think my LOD is on 150 for the " before and after " videos I made. I will have to take a closer look at them tomorrow

To respond to your concerns, @RageQuitBob & @K3HrN, this is my interpretation:

First, this is addressed to developers for scenery, not end users (nothing we as users can do to control this at all). Before SU5, all items that were .5% of the screen or smaller disappeared; after SU5 they changed this (to match XBox specs) to where an item with 3+ LOD levels built into it would act the same way as before, but items with 2 would disappear at a larger size than before (2% of screen) and items with only 1 LOD would disappear if they were at 5% or smaller (10X the original size at which they would disappear from view).

When they ran into popping in and out issues as we all have seen, they reverted back to the across the board .5% limit for all assets temporarily to obviously provide more time for developers to catch up and add more LODs to their designs.

The question is (and because the post was somewhat ambiguous)…when did they do this? If prior to the release of SU5 then you’re right - the popping in and out isn’t going to get better. But I don’t think that’s what they are saying. I think they’re saying they’ve reverted back in the patch tomorrow after the issues popped up today, in which case, developers can update their scenery to eliminate the popping and it will look as it did before SU5 if they add more LODs.

That’s how I read it. Thus, I’m not worried, except that it’ll take some time and a lot of rolled out updates for a lot of 3rd party devs that weren’t ready prior to the 27th. I could be wrong, but…

1 Like

I hope this performance roller coaster will stop at the highest point in terms of quality!

1 Like

Amen brotha! The only thing I wish the notes would be more specific about is the consistent freezing/pausing. It only specifically addressed freezes while hooking up peripherals - that’s not what was happening to me or many users.

I hope it fixes the freezes in the menu and in flight! Those are my big hiccups.

1 Like

It would be really nice if we had more options to play with when it comes to quality. I have so much to work with when it comes to performance. I don’t need 70+ FPS in this, I will happily take an FPS hit for better quality.

1 Like