BFF's DIY OpenBeam FFB Flight Yoke(For Cessna 152 Yoke style) - Completed

Hello

It’s DIY OpenBeam FFB Flight Yoke and Made by The BFF Simulation Force & Motion. but I will made into a Cessna 152 Yoke style(It has already been completed as a 3D printout)

Like the name, it is DIY, so you have to find and purchase everything you need to assemble.

However, BFF Simulation Force & Motion provides a list for parts purchase and also provides a description drawing for assembly.
This will be my last project on DIY Force Feedback Yoke and I will make a comparison video of how much it is different from the DIY Force Feedback Yoke that I made before(that’s used XP Force Plugin).

I bought all the parts of necessary for making this BFF’s OpenBeam Flight Yoke(some of them went to the store, bought them, and processed them manufacture work.)

I started assembling all the parts I needed to make them.
The cost of this is absolutely not small. I’ll have to calculate for sure, but I think it took more than $1500.

Perhaps, it is similar to the cost of purchasing BRUNNER CLS-E NG yoke product.
I wanted to buy it but It wasn’t attracted to me enough to buy.

DIY is not easy, but when everything is completed and successful, its feel a sense of accomplishment is incomparable!

step #1 of 15(9 FEB)

I will keep updating the making news.

Thanks

Best Regards,

Younghoon

Edited All(Except for step 1 of 15) - 11, FEB, 2021

Step #2 of 15(10, Feb)

Hello

It continued to work, and Installed of Elevators servo motor.

The goal is to do the first operational test this weekend. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,

Younghoon

Keep us posted, looks great so far. I’m also debating DIY or Brunner. What was not interesting about the Brunner for you?

Hello

Except for electronic connections, everything is assembled! :slightly_smiling_face:

However, the red PTT key button is not fixed(The button doesn’t fit there perfectly), and there is no wire connection yet. Therefore, it is nothing yet.
Also, there is still a fixed problem with Yoke screws. However, I think this will have no effect on the first test.

I am thinking of doing the first test this sunday(I’m not sure yet.) and When the test is completed successfully, I will make a test video and upload it In my youtube channel.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Younghoon

Hello

Thanks! :smiley:

The reason why I make this is because the first thing I wanted Cessna Yoke style.
but the Brunner is Beechcraft style.

The second reason is that I found this : Topic: CLS-E MKII or CLS-E NG?

There was the following information.

What works somewhat:
– The wind turbulences really isn’t the best feature, if expect to feel each gust, you’ll be disappointed.
We just don’t get enough data from the sim to program it any better, so it will feel somewhat random.
Same for the ground vibrations.

I didn’t understand why was random of that.

DIY Force Feedback Flight Controls - Auto-Pilot following in stormy weather... - YouTube - DIY Force Feedback Flight Controls - Auto-Pilot following in stormy weather.

This video became the reason why I decided to make it.

PS : I’ve never used Brunner yoke, so I can’t evaluate it and I don’t know which one(Brunner Yoke or This) is better or close up for the feeling of real flight(FS is just my a hobby and I’m an ordinary person and I am not a real pilot).

Best Regards,

Younghoon

2 Likes

Hello

If anyone was waiting for the test result of this, I’m sorry for the delay.

From 29th I started the test for the first time but I failed and yesterday I finished the test successfully!!!

In a word, this is very fantastic!!! :grinning:

The monitor was attached to the stand for testing. The reason is that it is too long to hold the monitor on the desk.

The Pitch travels increased from 137mm to 175mm and has been first tested with this.

The test video is going to proceed soon and will be uploaded to my YouTube channel!

Thanks

Best Regards,

Younghoon

1 Like

Hello

I’ve already completed the test on this.

It was something new that I never experienced!!! :wink:

If you let me know what Ian from BFF Simulation has answered, this CL Software is a Turbulence for Pitch (AoA), but can’t made to Turbulence effects for Roll axis by CL Software.

Also, Pitch is said to come from the aircraft’s body, not from control surface.

His said, 'flight sims do not report AoA variation at the control surfaces - this is too detailed for them so the CL system can only use aircraft body AoA information, and this can be limited.'
’The CL software can not generate turbulence feel on the aileron axis. And it only does so on the Elevator axis because aircraft body AoA changes are reported by some sims using some weather generation packages.'

’The Weight settings on the aileron axis are not really intended for turbulence feel. However if you increase the aileron weight settings then you are increasing the force response to aircraft roll axis accelerations - the inertia of the aileron control surfaces will produce force reactions when aircraft roll acceleration is present. If you make the weight gains large enough then even small roll axis accelerations will produce a force effect at the controls. When the aircraft flies through turbulence the flight sim will report some roll axis accelerations as the aircraft moves about - and this is what you are feeling as what you call turbulence feel.'

I did weight settings of aileron axis and Like he said, Yoke moves as if it’s a turbulence effects.
It was a very interesting move for me to do rather than not set it up.

I will make to test video today and will be upload later today.

P.S : I changed from 175mm to 180mm for Pitch travel.

Thanks

Best Reagrds,

Younghoon

Hello

As I said, I made a test video and edited it then uploaded it on my Youtube channel now! :grinning:

Test video - https://youtu.be/tEFp1qCNxtM

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Younghoon

1 Like

Wow. When do you sleep? Both this and your cockpit are amazing.

Hello!

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

I assembled some plywood and front sides wooden plywood onto the aluminum profile of the my home cockpit.

I still need to work on it, then Enclosure is will be assembled, I will take a picture when It is completed.
It’s the door doesn’t fit well so it doesn’t install(it’s already broken)

This is nothing compared to people who run simulations on real aircraft fuselage.
If they look at this, it will look very insignificant. :laughing:

But if others, including you, cheer for me to make this, I’ll try to complete it beautifully.

Thanks again!

Best Regards,

Younghoon

1 Like