Big Radials Nieuport 17

Broke it out in England and took a little joyride around Stonehenge. :smiley: I really enjoy the way this plane feels just flying around! Really just fun to make tight turns, loops, etc. Feels like it was made for dogfighting. :slight_smile:

The lack of brakes does make landing tough; I came in too fast, kept rolling, and eventually hit a tiny canal or something and flipped over. :wink: Practice! :smiley:

4 Likes

Very very tempted by thisā€¦ waiting for a few reviewā€™s to be up as I have a few old planes already but not sure have a WWI warbird and having played a lot of Warplanes WWI in my quest recently love the idea of a WWI plane especially with working gun fire. For Ā£13.10 its fairly well priced by looks of it too!

The idea of a dogfight group/discord would be cool too given have this and the corsair that fire could have two different time period sub groups within it for when more come as the way things are going with the addition of munitions to the SDK I feel the no-weapon rule may go. Just obviously would be practice rather than destruction which for me works, we donā€™t want to destroy our prized planes now do we :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Anyone tempting to race the Hindenburg with this early bird? :smiley:

Me too. Not sure if I can wait for the reviews.

1 Like

Is there a Hindenburg?

1 Like

I really donā€™t want to put up a review of sorts, but I will tell you this - I think itā€™s a good release if you are into a simple, fun plane. There is nothing complex about it. It flies well, and sounds and looks good. Itā€™s not the most exciting plane FOR ME, because there is a very limited time I am in the mood to fly some short hops with a historical aircraft with very little navigational capability, but for when I AM in that mood, this is a good one to try.

My only gripe (and itā€™s no fault of the devs, but rather the plane) is that the gauges have very small writing and are hard to read.

If this plane looks like something youā€™d be interested in having in your hangar, you canā€™t go wrong with this - itā€™s a good release! Itā€™s just a matter of whether youā€™re into this kinda thing or not.

7 Likes

Even if there was, the Hindenberg ftrst flew in March 1936, so nearly 20 years after the Nieuport 17 was about.

They are not contemporaries.

1 Like

I did a quick flight and a few touch n goā€™s. It looks great and flies great, though I was surprised to see it had pitch trim, I figured planes from this era didnā€™t have such systems yet. Ground handling without brakes or a tail wheel seemed like it would be a nightmare but itā€™s quite manageable with this, which is nice. The sounds seem a bit weak and quiet to me. The blip switch in this actually seems to have an effect on the engine power whereas other addons it never seemed to have an impact, so kudos for that.

Overall I like it and itā€™ll be useful for some slow sightseeing. Also glad to see developers releasing work that isnā€™t yet another GA single, and a WW1 bird at that!

I didnā€™t see any trim controls in the cockpit or described in the manual, but did notice that it responded to bindings for setting and adjusting the elevator trim from my yoke (buttons) and throttle (wheel, set up custom to set the angle directly over SimConnect). I think itā€™s either an oversight or a ā€˜cheatā€™ easter egg. :wink:

The trim servo was actually developed by a German during the war and a few later planes did make use of trimming controls in limited ways. I wouldnā€™t think the Nieuport 17 had them, in the early models at least. There were also tabs that could be adjusted manually on the ground, so I guess you could set your trim before taking off and not touch it during flight to be more realistic!

The sim does seem to enable trim controls for a few planes that donā€™t actually have them IRL. Iā€™ve noticed a few planes that let me use rudder trim that I have mapped on my joystick without there being any in cockpit controls for rudder trim. Itā€™s a bit weird.

3 Likes

it is actually on purpose. Constantly applying pressure on a joystick is just NOT fun in a sim. And with the wide variety of hardware of various quality, we reckoned it was best to leave it in, but obviously, just via keybinds so purist can just choose not to use it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Iā€™ve played some WW1 flight sims in the past where Iā€™ve had to do that. Can confirm itā€™s not fun nor good for your wrist! Although luckily Rise of Flight did let you adjust the control curves for each plane individually so you could adjust the elevator curve off centre a bit to create a kinda trimmed out neutral position for the majority of planes that had no adjustable stabiliser or trim.

I recall reading in a book about WW1 aviation many years ago and it mentioned a pilot who would secure his stick in a ā€˜trimmedā€™ position using string for long flights. Apparently heā€™d also catch a few winks during these long flights as well.

2 Likes

Works for me! :smiley:

(In planes like this I like to pretend itā€™s ground-adjustable to optimize for cruise and Iā€™m just pretending I adjusted it already hehehehe)

Yeah constant pressure on the stick can get annoying, nice addition!

Come on Big Radials, please get ahead of the curve. You came up with the P40 just after the FI Spit got released (after our appetite was satiated for a ww2 plane) and now a biplane just after most of us already got the DC Stearman (appetite satiated for an open cockpit biplane, different era, but a biplane nonetheless). Next youā€™ll roll out the Beaver after Milviz will already have released theirs. Would love to support you but man, give us something different!!
No offence but Imho you shouldā€™ve released the Beaver as your 1st plane, as payware, as thatā€™s the one plane weā€™re all itching to get our hands on!
Just my opinion, please donā€™t take it as criticism. I do wish this does well!

I wouldnā€™t say the Stearman and Nieuport 17 are really comparable. The two planes are almost 20 years apart, one an early WW1 fighter and the other a 1930s trainer, there was a lot of advances in aviation over that time. I mean just compare the cockpits of the two for starters. And whatā€™s wrong with having another biplane? Thereā€™s already dozens of existing monoplanes out there, by your logic yet another monoplane would old hat! :wink:

Iā€™m really pleased that Big Radials released this iconic WW1 fighter and I wish them further success with this and whatever they are working on next. Hopefully itā€™s something no one is expecting!

4 Likes

A P47 Thunderbolt would be my guess. And if its a DC3 Dakota, then I hope and pray itā€™s released before Aeroplane Heaven comes out with theirs haha or theyā€™ll just be proving my point.
ā€¦ and if its a Lockheed Electra, Iā€™ll buy it with my eyes closed.

3 Likes

Yea, if only it was that easy huh! Weā€™ll just stick to making planes we like :slight_smile:

7 Likes

And we wont be discussing about our next product here, or anywhere actually, just yet.

lol at the comments ā€¦ ā€œwhy did you bring out an aircraft with two wings when we already have some with two wings in the simā€

amusing

2 Likes