Bing Data causing crashes with add-on Airports or Scenery

Precisely why I added the disclaimer of using it at your own risk. :wink:

Yeah we have a lot of “whats all about this computer thingy” people in the FS Community - nobody should take this as a mean comment now :wink:. So the savage will be real :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyways, just thought now - wait bing update now we can enjoy all the promised watermasks - nada nada nada :pensive:

For those at ASOBO

this may be a clue
I have two systems running MSFS (Game Pass)

one system is bang upto date with windows updates etc, i noticed a lot of xbox updates over the last 3 days for windows. the other system is not upto date.

both run all ORBX addon Airports

the up to date one just CTD’s when trying to start a flight to any addon airport.

the system that has no recent up dates to windows or xbox game bar etc etc. works just fine with the same addons.

something is not as simple as it appears.

2 Likes

I suggest you read the thread from the top, and it will explain what’s happening. Unless you are suggesting that it may be related to the rolling cache?

I think I read that some suggested they turn off Bing data, load the airport, then while in the sim turn Bing data back on again. I’ve not tested this, though.

Huge thnx to hobanagerik for the guidance!

Scripts for Steam users. For both Asobo assets folder and Community one!

Run this at your own risk!

Turn OFF in Asobo folder:

$steam = “D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020\Official\Steam” # Set your “Steam” location here
Set-Location $steam
$folders = get-childitem $steam | Where-Object {$_.Name -notlike “fs-base-cgl” }
$cgls = Get-ChildItem $folders -Filter *.cgl -Recurse
foreach ($cgl in $cgls) {
$fullpath = $cgl.DirectoryName + “” + $cgl.Name
Rename-Item $fullpath -NewName $cgl".bak"
Write-Host $fullpath".bak"
Read-Host “Paused…”
}

Turn OFF in Community folder:

$community = “D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020\Community” # Set your “Community” location here
Set-Location $community
$folders = get-childitem $community | Where-Object {$_.Name -notlike “fs-base-cgl” }
$cgls = Get-ChildItem $folders -Filter *.cgl -Recurse
Rename-Item $fullpath -NewName $cgl".bak"
Write-Host $fullpath".bak"
Read-Host “Paused…”
}

Turn ON in Asobo folder:

$steam = “D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020\Official\Steam” # Set your “Steam” location here
Set-Location $steam
$folders = get-childitem $steam | Where-Object {$_.Name -notlike “fs-base-cgl” }
$cgls = Get-ChildItem $folders -Filter *.cgl.bak -Recurse
Rename-Item $fullpath -NewName $cgl.ToString().TrimEnd(".bak")
Write-Host $fullpath.ToString().TrimEnd(".bak")
Read-Host “Paused…”
}

Turn ON in Community folder:

$community = “D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020\Community” # Set your “Community” location here
Set-Location $community
$folders = get-childitem $community | Where-Object {$_.Name -notlike “fs-base-cgl” }
$cgls = Get-ChildItem $folders -Filter *.cgl.bak -Recurse
Rename-Item $fullpath -NewName $cgl.ToString().TrimEnd(".bak")
Write-Host $fullpath.ToString().TrimEnd(".bak")
Read-Host “Paused…”
}

Edit in notepad and save as a .ps1 file to be run in PowerShell

This does not work. If you have the caches disabled, you can load into the airport with bing disabled and turn it on after the sim is up and running - was stable, but tested only for 3 minutes.

Said solution was then to restart the sim, you should then be able to load back into the airport with no problems. Did not work for me.
What MAY could work is to clear the cache, then load into airport without bing, re enable bing, restart - IF the next load up then will then use the files from the cache: airport CGL + Bing for surroundings of the custom CGL only - but I doubt it’ll work this way.

1 Like

Interesting! Aside from the recent Windows-Update that would be Gaming Services and XBOX Game Bar via Marketplace update, at least that’s what happened on my system.
I hope your post gets noted by the devs - could make you a hero :sunglasses:

hope so, you described those updates a little better than me.

:slight_smile:

I have Windows updates turned off Win10 Pro Edition and I was getting the CTD, I rolled back my system with Acronis from to a snap shot at the beginning of the month and still got CTD so effectively my system went back in time when everything was running fine, this is how I determined it was an issue with the Bing data and not my PC. So it is not a Win update on my system. It could be that one system is relying on older cached scenery which doesn’t effect the CTD because it is using older data from Bing inside the sim, this is was caught a lot of users out at the beginning of this report, some were reporting no issues while others with the same airport scenery were. I have a lot of video editing software for my business on my machine and so Win updates can cause catastrophic effects, I have updates turned off to maximum time allowed.

1 Like

CTD taxing to runway from EGNM and EGNT over and over since this morning

Hopefully this Problem wont postpone the Update on Tuesday again

The day this sim works as intended will be the day i get a 40 series card

2 Likes

Today I purchased the Munich airport from the marketplace (EDDM Aerosoft), as soon as I tried to load a flight plan the system crashed to desktop. I removed and everything is working properly for Munich, so I was at first asking to be reimbursed…but then I tried other add-ons I have for Europe: Innsbruck (LOWI, Orbx) and Bonn (EDDK, Aerosoft), plus the one that was available for free on the marketplace (Paderborn, EDLP). None of them is working causing a crash of the software as soon as I try to load a flight plan. This is simply unacceptable, I purchased this stuff from the marketplace and it is simply unacceptable to have such kind of bugs. I’m speechless, rather than focus on update it would be better to work on the several bugs. I hadn’t a single CTD before today so the system was working fine apart for the well known bugs (spikes etc.) that everybody is experiencing and until they probably started to play with the code just before the World Update

2 Likes

48 hours and no official feedback!

5 Likes

Its madness mate…I get my new G2 headset tommorow too

I’ve changed the CGL file name yet I’m getting a CTD when taxiing to the runway at EGGP- Orbx. So I can load into the sim but yet now I cant take-off!

Try and clear manual / rolling cache. Could be a memory leak issue, had something similar at EGLC by Orbx after disabling the cgls

1 Like

Good idea ill try that cheers

Do a search in here about the Bing Data issue.
That is probably what is affecting you this time!
I don’t believe it is the scenery.

1 Like

You are absolutely right, I’m speechless

1 Like