Bit overreaction here for something you need to squint at to see the difference

The graphics are still phenomenal, the performance is hugely upgraded, the Ram use is greatly optimized.
Sure, you will see some differences, if you squint. Oh, the textures look bad? At 300000 feet? OK.

21 Likes

I took it for a spin yesterday. No complaints, and the frame rate is the best I have seen. Had first CTD so will see if it is a one off or not.

5 Likes

Vastly reduced draw distance.
Huge pop-in issues.
Buildings & objects made far simpler/less detailed.
Blurry ground textures.
Volumetric lighting missing.
Clouds details/looks vastly reduced.
Traffic reduced.
Odd lighting & saturation changes.
Water detail & reflections made even worse.

All with endless amounts of proof posted here already by hundreds of people with thousands agreeing with them & seeing the same. Elsewhere on other forums & sites pointing it out. Leaving reviews noting the downgrade on product pages.

It’s incredibly noticeable to the majority & no. The Ram isn’t being optimised well. For people with higher end machines (which is most people, especially considering Asobo sold the game that way), our systems & ram are barely being used.

23 Likes

The graphics were phenomenal.
By comparison they are now pretty bad.

If you need to squint to see whole chunks of trees/buildings suddenly appearing and disappearing in front of you, shimmering buildings due to reduced AA, bad reflections, overexposed clouds etc… then you need to visit an optician.

I’m still optimistic that they can get the graphics phenomenal again but for me now they are just mediocre and very often immersion breaking with the bad AA and pop in effects we see now.

I only fly GA aircraft and usually less than 4000 feet so I have no idea what the textures are like from up high, but if they are as bad as down low the jet flyers have a legitimate complaint.

Yes I got a few more fps but on the whole I wasn’t unhappy with that before ,but it looked fantastic, now I get a slightly smoother flight over a bland and morphing landscape.

As has been said on many posts on this topic they just need to add some options for us to choose what graphical quality we get and we can trade it off with performance as we prefer.

10 Likes

Do not need to squint to see the difference. It is clearly there!

Ram underused as mentioned in previous comments .Its not using half of my 32.
Muting this thread.

6 Likes

I am starting to wonder if the people that think it looks good or looks ok and are not having any CTD’s or major flaws are just not complaining about anything in the forum… I do not say much because it looks pretty good to me on my mediocre computer and I really do not have any major complaints… Now, I will have a complaint if they do not get multi-monitor support in 2022…Smile

ive got ryzen 5950x and rtx 3090 only cause i wanted to get maximum of msfs at 40 - 60fps … and i had it till the SU5 came out … Now i feel like i have wooden PC, or playing fsx or have just cheap console Xbox… (i played MSFS on my old pc half an year when it went out: Intel 5 some old 4.gen; GTX 760 OC… i spend a lot of money to get fancy graphic and i had SO i want it back before SU5 even with bad optimalisation that i still had 40 - 60 fps on ultra and 2K quality.

5 Likes

Roll slowly along the manhattan skyline at about 300-500 feet and look at all the things that are underwater now also…a couple of small marinas; multiple piers, and on and on

OMG I cannot read the license plate numbers any more!

At least where I am flying the graphics look better and no stuttering

3 Likes

You better take this all back, they’re still sharpening the pitch forks. I swear there’s so many posts making it sound like it’s worse than FS98 lol (and I’m willing to bet half are well, they’re saying it so it must be true).

MS2020 always did, and still looks great to me but now at a smooooooth 60FPS!

5 Likes

The graphics are still good, that is for sure. Yet they are an obvious step down from SU4 without needing to squint. It’s not about no longer being able to read number plates, it’s about shortcuts being immersion breaking (when you fly in VR, immersion is everything).

For me, as a VR flyer (mostly GA, lower altitudes), it’s really the shimmering caused by the downgraded AA that bugs me (I try my best to not notice is, but it is so darn in your face). It just draws your eyes to it, there is no way to ignore it.

Reflections are another one, they are very broken in VR (they jump around with tiny head movements), but at least I can turn them off.

Another annoying downgrade to me is the labels in the cockpit which are not as sharp as they used to be. I now need to squint to read them, as if my render resolution had been downgraded (they are still sharp and crisp in XP11). It makes IFR flying far more tiring than it used to be.

All those are from a VR pilot perspective.

Your experience may be different than mine, but please don’t dismiss my issues out of hand.

1 Like

Speak for yourself. I don’t have to squint to see the massive degradation in SU5. It’s abundantly apparent on high end systems. Just check out the screenshots, people are posting, no squinting necessary.

6 Likes

“massive degradation”

Compared to what? FSX?
Sim looks and performs great. VR is also better, I have no idea what people are complaining about there either. I’m on an RTX 2060 and an old Rift V2 and the cockpit dials are way sharper than SU4, and the experience is better all round.

Minor visual issues and bugs are not a “massive degradation”.

1 Like

Do not presume all the people with new sim issues have had the same result that you have. I purchased a higher-end PC based upon the specifications that MS published last summer. If I would have known the specs were going to be changed, and the method with which “optimization” was going to occur - implementing thresholds on the CPU, RAM and GPU, I wouldn’t have invested in the level of hardware that I did. I had little to no problems with the all the sim updates, nor with payware scenery and aircraft add-ons until SU5, where I initially had CTD with 3-5 minutes of starting a flights. Some people don’t even get that far. The hotfix appears to have stopped my CTD, although I have not yet taken a flight exceeding 60 minutes since the hotfix. I do have very apparent downgrade in graphics quality including, scenery resolution, anti-aliasing, overexposed imagery, autogen scenery popping up within my field of view, reminding me of FSX era autogen scenery popping up on final approach. Initially, I was quite upset with the state of my sim experience, but now have little incentive to purcha$e any add-on enhancements unless there is a new fix addressing these changes for many PC users - I hope 3rd party developers are reviewing these forums.

I9-10900K, 64g RAM, RTX 2070 Super

2 Likes

From what I gather in these forums, you probably won’t notice the degradation on low end systems like yours.

Prior to SU5, some of the screenshots from the sim were indistinguishable between the real world and the sim. Now, it is obvious. The current state reminds me of FSX, especially the clouds. The “Next Gen Feel” of FS2020 is no more.

2 Likes

I’m sorry but this is simply untrue. I’m someone who has been loathe to criticize Asobo or any of the devs since release, but the degradations can be seen clearly without squinting at all, especially for those of us who fly airliners. I have a mid-range machine, mind you (i7-10750h and RTX 2060 mobile). At around 15,000 feet, the ground textures become incredibly and very noticeably blurry. When taking off from large airports like ORD and JFK, the city skylines are not seen until the aircraft gets very close to them–that is, assuming you haven’t climbed high enough for them to disappear again. The clouds, even at Ultra, are no longer the beauties they used to be–they now look much like they did on my old laptop when I used Medium settings. There is no volumetric lighting anymore. My sim CTDs almost every other time I open it and press “Fly now.” Just because you aren’t having the issues others are having does not mean that everything is A-okay, that is all I’m trying to convey. Yes, I have massive performance gains and love that this is the case. That being said, we should at least have the ability to modify our own experiences rather than staring at a universal, mandatory reduction in visual fidelity and overall sim stability.

2 Likes

Bingo!

10 character limit text

Yeah, for sure. Mine looks better than it did before SU5. A lot of people will try to convince me that mine looks bad or that it doesn’t look as good as I know it does, despite none of them having ever seen my computer screen or what anything looks like from my eyes.

Anyway. I like a happy thread. :smiley:

As Rosanna Rosanna Danna said, “It’s always something.” :smiley:

Honestly it seems the opposite to me. People complain and many others open new posts just to say they are wrong and I wonder why. If you have a problem I don’t open a post to try to convince you are wrong

3 Likes