Black Square Steam Gauge Overhaul - Cessna 208B Caravan

I’m suspecting Kodiak might be causing problems for me.

As in, conflicting with the caravan? As I also own the Kodiak.

The conflicts i’m talking about are mainly within your sceneries. You need addon linker, do you have it/use it?

I don’t, no. Is it useful to have?

Extremely useful. For me it’s indispensable. I’m afraid we’re going to drag this thread off-topic hence telling you what to do, starting from downloading the app till fixing the conflicts. Therefore feel free to pm me.

3 Likes

Cheers, will do.

1 Like

Yes, I had no CTDs with Analog Caravan until I also installed Kodiak. When I remove Kodiak CTDs seem to stop. I’m testing right now to make sure it’s not a coincidence.

1 Like

The potential conflicts on this sim are just mental, sometimes.

So, I did a few hours worth of tests and unfortunately only thing I can say with some certainty is that Caravan itself seems to be responisble for CTDs.

I tried empty community folder with only Caravan inside with fresh install from JF website, with and without Rolling Cache, with and without Online Functionality, I checked conflicts with MSFS Addon Linker and only thing that was consistent is that I was getting CTDs with Caravan and nothing else.

Sometimes it would CTD in flight, but mostly on loading the airplane. It seems that loading on parking in the last state CTDs much more often than loading on runway, on final etc. It also seems that after successfully loading in preconfigured state and shutting plane down and then starting in that state on parking usually works OK.

I couldn’t find the file where the last state is saved.

I checked console in debug mode and there are some errors with the aircraft, but I couldn’t get a CTD with console open to see the log.

Anyway, I hope someone who knows what he’s doing takes a look at this, it’s a shame to have this one sitting in a hangar.

4 Likes

I’ve had a few crashes with it, but for me they appeared geographic in nature. I would also recommend only having either the 530 or 750 addon loaded at any one time.

Anecdotally this has caused me issues in the past with planes like the Arrow. I suspect it might only be an issue if the plane can equip both.

@SinewyDolphin74 Really looking forward to the King Air and the Starship! Nicholas is crushing it! The Caravan has become one of my favourite planes to fly at the moment.
Speaking of which, any information about the Caravan update? I assume this will release with or after the King Air now?

2 Likes

Looking forward for the update as well. If the new sounds are anything at the 310 or 414 level, this plane is going to turn from great to epic.

2 Likes

The default sounds on the 208 are rubbish so any update to those will be more than welcome, I think.

Can they even update the default sounds? I mean they are not doing the 3D model, doors, anything interactive, but will they definitely be doing the sounds at some point?

I don’t know how big they are as a developer, or how much access they have. Let’s say they are a bedroom developer. How would you go about finding someone with a Caravan, and persuade them to give you access to make some recordings of the engine?

Even a company the size of Aerosoft seem to be struggling with that.

Not to derail the thread here, but I think their struggle is more to do with complacency, or apathy.

2 Likes

Even adjusting the sound levels would be an improvement. With headphone simulation on, the plane is nearly silent.

1 Like

There is actually a sound mod of the C208b , its payware though but it sounds so much better then the standard sound.

2 Likes

The sound when the door opens… pretty sweet to hear

1 Like

if you speak about FTsim+ mod , on my side it wasn’t working, like many other user did mentionned have litterally 0 engine sound so imo there is something broken in this mod last time (2 month ago) l tried it