Black Square Steam Gauge Overhaul - King Air 350i

The new front one. It made flying the Analog King much easier.

I will verify again tonight. I fly mine every night. I would have noticed if I had to engage things twice.

Thanks a lot. I have the TDS GTN750 but I would be surprised if that would make a difference.

1 Like

Have anyone encountered problem, that KingAir is not saving engine state? It seems that after every restart of MSFS engine is back to 100%, gps is default.
I have ‘end flight automaticly’ disabled in flight sim, I’m always leaving by ESC → go to main menu → exit to desktop.

I have had issues with the avionics reverting to no GPS the last few times I went in the cockpit.

1 Like

Could someone please explain what DSC button is for on the autopilot panel? It does not do anything. Let’s say I am cruising at FL300, on Altitude Preselector I set 10,000 and hit DSC. Nothing happens, the plane keeps flying level. The only way to execute descent is to hit VS and use rocker switch on the right to increase descent rate. So, what DSC button is for?

Are you within 10 knots of the barber pole? If you slow down to a point you’re outside of that 10 knots it will start a descent at a rate to maintain 10 knots below the barber pole.

1 Like

I spawned in the air with a speed around 20kts below the barber pole and DSC worked as intended! I don’t know why it didn’t work in any of my previous flights. I doubt I was within 10 knots of the barber pole every time I tried it. Anyway, thx for your help. Hopefully I won’t have this issue again knowing that I need to be outside of that 10 knots range. Shame the manual does not mention it. It only says “In descent mode, the autopilot will descend at the maximum achievable rate at 10 knots below the current barberpole speed” but nothing about limitations of DSC mode.

I haven’t read about DSC properly, but it seems to behave like IAS hold with a preset speed - and like that you have to control ROD with the throttle. I’d rather use V/S after it tried to take me down at 3500fps.

It seems like the Milviz 310 is having state saving issues, too. I wonder if Asobo changed something that is affecting file writing with SU12?

It’s tied to liveries I believe, right? Are you using the same livery for each flight? (I assume you know this, but, just checking)

Here’s some tips from the Milviz folks… not the same, but, probably works the same…

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately it does not help. I’ve checked also on different liveries (repeat change radio, exit to main menu, load new flight with same livery). Nothing works. It always loads in default state. It looks like MSFS does not have some priviliges to save file, or something is corrupted. Weird nobody else had this issue here… I’ve bought it like few days ago (after SU12).
Check further comments, which I did not notice earlier. I’ve checked the folder, but I don’t have even trace of any Analog KinAir folder here:
Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages\

So what’s the correct procedure to start the engines? The checklist and about half of the real world pilots say that you introduce fuel at 12 % RPM. The other half say that you should wait until the engine has stabilized (around 20 % RPM) before you introduce fuel. Both are equally confident when they teach this which makes me a bit confused.

I think the procedure is “don’t overthink it”, and “don’t be in a rush”, and possibly depends on the weather you’re starting it in too. I wish they’d write checklists as “not before 12%” or similar…

I’ll take a poll of the couple of KA pilots I know ( none are on the B350, mind… B200 is probably not that different ) and might as well ask the Dash guys, I bet I don’t get the same answer from any of them either :smiley:

2 Likes

When I flew B200’s, we introduced fuel slightly after 12%Ng. What we usually found was that when compared to waiting for max %Ng (or near enough), there wasn’t a significance difference in peak ITT during engine starts. As mentioned above, ambient temperature, wind direction and importantly, battery charge/health all play a significantly more important part in start ITT.

I believe waiting till Ng passes 12% before introducing fuel, is also the procedure used by the RFDS (Flying Doctors), the largest King Air operator in Australia.

Unfortunately, with regards to the Black Square B350, I cooked my first couple engine starts when using this procedure. I now wait until at least 20%Ng to ensure this doesn’t keep happening. My advise, simply use whatever works to keep from having to repair engines after each and every start.

4 Likes

There is definitely a difference in the autopilot behaviour, depending on which GPS you are using. When using the TDS, it uses the default Asobo autopilot logic. When using the PMS50 with the WTT package, it uses the much better Working Title autopilot logic.

1 Like

Isn’t it like wt gns530 is now default gps? So, you are using it by default.

Yes, but still somehow the TDS apparently seems to use a different autopilot code. You can test that yourself: One symptom of the old autopilot logic is that you cannot arm NAV or APP mode, even if you are far away from the intercept. The mode immediately activates and the autopilot does something crazy. This is cured by the WTT autopilot logic. So in the Black square aircraft, you can simply switch back and forth between the TDS and the new WT GNS530W and you can see that it behaves differently.

Okay, so the TDS purchase was a waste of money then :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I personally use free version, as a start. It has everything I need for now. I like it better, as it has touch screen. I just hate 530 steering knobs.

I disagree that it’s a waste of money. I’ve not had any issues with it related to autopilot other than during the AAU1 beta a couple months ago. If you’re having trouble, I highly recommend getting in touch with TDS on their forums or asking on their discord. They’re quite helpful.