Blackbox BN2 Islander Version 2.0 PC & Xbox Released in Marketplace

Since both this thread and the Trislander thread feature discussions of engine synchronicity and the need to manage throttle, prop condition etc. individually for each engine, I’d like to ask if this plane is playable and enjoyable with a simple X52 (1 throttle, and a couple of potis)? Is this something that’s absolutely mandatory, or is it just about peak performance and/or noise reduction?

It’s perfectly flyable on an X52. No different to any other multi engine aircraft that doesn’t have prop sync.

2 Likes

Yeah, this plane is so much fun to “listen” to. Love those engines. Great model.

The only suggestion I’d make at this point is to tone down the engine cone spinning animation. it seems like it jumps around quite a bit, as if it’s off center.

In video I’ve seen of actual flight, the cones are spinning perfectly around their axes.

Anyway, other than that I’d say it’s about perfect.

M

It helps to switch off Motion Blur in the Graphics options.

1 Like

Yes, as stated above this is a fault within the MSFS Motion blur properties … turn it off and you have smooth spinners ( and improved frame rates) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I flew the updated Islander this weekend and had an issue with the engines loosing performance the longer I flew. I was able to land but towards the end of my flight the Manifold pressure was, engine rpm and fuel burn was all so low that I had to put the aircraft into a descent just to maintain between 80 and 100 knots indicated. During the start of the flight the aircraft performed great. The same thing happened on both flights that I flew. Before the update, I never had these issues. The islander is my favorite aircraft and I love the changes that where made to it. Is it possible that I have a setting wrong in the sim that would cause this issue. Thanks

Sound like Carb icing. Did you per chance see the gauge for that (low and to the right of the yoke)?

2 Likes

probably better if you see the Manual or tutorial actually :slight_smile:

Manual Schmanual :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Something is iffy with the DME, I cannot change frequencies since the update went live.

2 Likes

I’ll second the X52 functionality. As long as the throttle axis is bound to the generic throttle setting in the sim and not to individual throttles (you can have multiple in some cases), you should be fine. I have an original Saitek unit that I’ve had 20+ years and it’s still going strong!

Thanks so much for this superb little fun machine :slight_smile:

I enjoyed flying with version 1 a lot - yet with version 2 it got so, so much better.
Let´s praise the developers for giving us this very well done rugged toy!

I am on Xbox Series X and I have only very small issues with it:
-I can see the click spots of the clearview window, but it does not open/close for me
-I can only open the doors with the switches on the panel, but not with the door handle
(I saw this feature though in a youtube review video of version 2)

And as someone else mentioned here already I would also fancy some darker tyres (black instead of grey) to make them appear more realistic.

Have a great day and many happy landings to all the BN-2 jockeys here!

2 Likes

This exact gradual loss of power over time keeps happening to me too until it will no longer fly tried low and slow to rule out icing (or rubbish mixture management on my behalf too) still gradually lose power until forced landing

Can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong :man_facepalming:

Edit: the effect is identical to engine icing gradual less of power until full eventually throttle just to idle… but it’s not cold lol

It is probably still icing …
it doesnt have to be cold as the Carburetors own venturi effect will produce the lower temperatures…
You can suffer icing even in warm climates IF there is moisture in the air …

Best procedure to prevent this is 30 Seconds of Carb heat every 5 minutes … or just turn them on a small amount ( Enough to bring the Carb Temp needles out of the yellow area)

DO NOT Leave them on full for any length of time as this will also cause issues !

6 Likes

Got ya, thanks for the quick reply, I was certain I wasn’t doing something correctly, I will pay more attention to carb temperatures going forward, I’ve changed to flying in the UK from the Caribbean since the 2.0 update also so it’s something to adapt too I have not had to pay so much attention to previously too!

I would like some help or some advice to finalize repaints with the new V2 paintkit.
I contacted BBS support (support[at]blackboxsimulation.com) on September 8 but received no response from them.
I probably knocked on the wrong door.
Knowing that their team follows this Forum, I hope to have better luck here.
(I work with Photoshop. I don’t use Blender, being not familiar with this program).

I would like to solve the following two problems:
1- How to hide or remove the two metal steps that appear at the foot of the doors on the port side of the fuselage.
I can’t locate them on the paintkit. (These “footboards” were not on the V1). It’s sad that Black Box Simulation imposes this detail which in reality only appears on a minority of Islanders. It is even illogical because the door on the starboard side does not have them, whereas in reality, if the aircraft is equipped with “footboards”, they are present on the left AND on the right side.
Please, please BBS give us the option to have or not to have these “footboards”. (A checkbox on the tablet or leave the freedom to the painters to represent them).
[https://i.postimg.cc/RZCBDzk7/0.jpg]()

2- I have a problem with the file “BBS_BN2-WING_COMP.PNG” in the PAX version - Model.BN2B (Pointed nose).

The PAX - Model.BN2A (rounded nose) version works fine, I successfully made a livery with a SEMI-GLOSS finish by placing the modified “COMP” files in my texture folder.
But when I do a similar livery with the PAX - Model.BN2B (Pointed Nose) version, the wings appear with a glossy finish, as if the “BBS_BN2-WING_COMP.PNG” file was ignored.
There seems to be a problem with light reflection on the wing for the “pointed nose” version.

If anyone from the BBS team passes by here it might take a little while to get back to me.
Thanks.
Richard

Thank you very much. I had not considered the carb icing. I will give it a try this weekend.

1 Like

A whole lot to answer there … let me step through

Unfortunateley these are hard coded into the modelling … they cannot be removed or edited sorry

The Pointed and Blunt nosed aircraft use Identical BBS_BN2-WING_COMP.PNG files from the default \ texture folder UNLESS they are specified in the specific livery …
for example ALL supplied liveries in the _PAX folder use the default _Comp File …
However if you look at the AFM Folder in the -MIL Sub section you will find a different (and matt finish) BBS_BN2-WING_COMP.PNG …

In Essence, this means that if you “ADD” a file to a base livery folder, then you MUST include a new .json file to instruct MSFS that is to be used … (Or make your edits based on the AFM Folder which already contains the Matt _Comp Files

Hope this helps ?

BTW this is not “support” :slight_smile: Just a little advise for a fellow livery painter

2 Likes

Ah, yes. Thanks for clearing that up. Will do.

I wish the search function in these forums was more user-friendly (in fact the entire FS forum is pretty much a nightmare ergonomically, to me).

I was searching for cone when I should have searched spinner.

Am turning motion blur off even as we speak. :smiley:

Yeah, low and slow ain’t got nothing to do with carb ice. And you can actually get carb ice in hot weather. In fact, hot and humid is the perfect situation for carb ice, because the temperature of the air can drop as much as 70F going though the venturi in your carburetor. So if it’s 90 degrees F outside the air can drop into the 20’s going through your carburetor. Add a little moisture and voildard. I’m pretty sure the Islander has a carb temperature gauge, which are fantastic.

This is the chart I use in real life to gauge the possibility of carb ice:

5 Likes