Blackbox BN2 Islander Version 2.0 PC & Xbox Released in Marketplace

I honestly need more caffeine before I read the forums in the morning. I totally mis-read that as, “On the basis of this imaginary thread…” :rofl:

Really looking forward to this release, I have a whirlwind tour of the Shetland islands planned for it.

2 Likes

I don’t see how it possibly could, I clearly stated (and have now bolded) that it was the FSX version. In any event it will be a moot point soon anyway.

I think the logical progression from the Islander would be the Islander’s replacement (in military & government roles at least), the Vulcanair (formerly Partenavia) P68. It even uses the same engines, and there’s a stretched turboprop version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partenavia_P.68. The UK NPAS are using four of them now, which is confusing because you hear an Islander overhead, look up and it’s NOT an Islander at all…

1 Like

It certainly sold them another copy in my case. Now, if Black Box Sim could do a V2 of the Bird Dog, they would sell yet another aircraft. That one could also use a good boost to MSFS graphical standards. Didn’t buy that one so far either, for the same reason as with the Islander :wink:

ALL: Let’s get back on topic.

5 Likes

I’m no Islander expert. Is there a differences between the short/long nose variants in flight dynamics? Do it have the standard 260hp engines? very confusing with this amount of different variants :sweat_smile:

Baggage compartment like the C310R

Looks like AvAngel got a preview copy of V2:

5 Likes

flight dynamics are the same but weight and balance would be a different matter

2 Likes

thank you for the continuing work on your BN2 - always much appreciated!

1 Like

A couple of things I noticed in the AvAngel video:

The aircraft should be able to start without external power, shouldn’t it? Didn’t seem to be the case in the video. Also, there was something weird going on with the magnetos. She switched on the right magneto for the port engine and the magneto for the starboard engined flipped on at the same time. Was that the aircraft or did she maybe use a hardware switch at the same time? (6:49)

The spinners are misaligned from the rotational axis and show a distinct wobble because of that (at 9:29 and 12:42). I hope that will be fixed in the release version.

The flight dynamics look great, can’t wait to try that. V1 flies great too, but I’m sure the additional realism with the fluid and prop dynamics will be nice. Love the sound too!

Nope. That switch must be flipped to start the engines in the Islander, whether you’re attached to external power or not.

2 Likes

Ah, okay. Thanks! Worked without flipping it up in V1. :wink:

Yep, it did. I always did it anyway, but you’re correct.

The aircraft will indeed start without ground Power, However, The START ISOLATE Switch ( which is also the ground power switch) Must be ON To facilitate starting. This is correct Real World behaviour
Oh and regarding the Magnetos, Yes this must have been a hardware switch issue as they are totally separate in normal operation.

If I may correct you , The spinners are Not misaligned or wobbling on the axis. This is a direct result of a Flawed Motion Blur system within the sim. Turning Off motion blur in the main options will alleviate all apparent wobble. There is an option to remove it from a particular Material during the build process but sadly this does Not work :frowning:

Happy you like the rest … we are very proud of this Update

3 Likes

One of the many improvements :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for clearing that up!

Hoping to see some good third party ‘weathered’ interior and exterior paints. Looks too factory fresh for me.

2 Likes

AvAngel says there are plans to include the 750 eventually. That makes me quite happy as it’s my preferred GPS, IRL as well as in the sim as the default 530 interface is just awful.

Why is the ADF so small? It’s 2/3 the size it should be

2 Likes

Also the props twist the wrong way. They should have less AOA at the tips than the roots but as they sit now, they have more.

Edit: I should say that the Islander is my favourite plane of the sim and these things are less criticisms and more meant to help something I love with its next step

3 Likes