Blessed are the ones who dont get CTDs

If an Overclocked, water cooled PC can run the most severe Stress Test Software for Hours without any issues, but then CTD withing a short time when running MSFS (typically with a Null Pointer error), its NOT the Overclocking, ------ unfortunately, its the MSFS Code that is at fault.

Either Asobo’s code, or one of the 3rd part Library code they are using … Coherent come to mind as a likely suspect !!!
Coherent is forever patching their code to fix “Bugs” and “Instabilities” .

3 Likes

I have had constant CTDs since the last Sim update.rarely had them before.

How’s REX going for you lately? The choppy transitions drove me nuts last time I used it a couple of weeks ago.

Still choppy, I just ignore it as it self corrects in seconds.

It isn’t perfect by any means, but the few minor issues that I have to work around far outweigh using live weather (for me).

There is a problem with OAT at the moment at high altitudes, so flying Airliners is a bit of a challenge at the moment from what I hear. But I’m not flying that high yet.

2 Likes

I’m definitely one of the Blessed.

I’ve been flying the Sim since release day, have only had a few CTD and that was with one particular plane right after an update to SU8 beta:

CTD with C208B Grand Caravan - Alpha/Beta Archive / SU8 Beta Archive - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Other than that, I’ve only had a few CTDs, very random, spaced very far apart from one another. Rare enough that for all intents and purposes, they really aren’t worth mentioning.

I’m pretty regimented (mini OCD) with keeping up with Windows Updates, Microsoft Store App updates, watching my temps, running diags on a regular basis and general system maintenance.

Also, 100% of the time, I shut down the flight sim via the menus (orderly shutdown, not an ALT-F4 bailout). Same with Windows, complete shutdowns every time, not “sleep” or hibernate. And I have Windows “Fast Startup” disabled so my system does housekeeping every time it gets booted (versus just coming up out of Standy).

My flight Sim PC is really just that… dedicated to MSFS2020, DCS and X-plane. So there isn’t much else installed that could interfere or clog up the works.

I’ll see if I can think of any other things that may contribute to a lack of CTDs for me and my rig and update here if need be.

4 Likes

DAAAAAAAAAAMMMMNNNNNNN :bangbang: That is a beautiful setup! Schweeeeet!

And @GentlestCurve98 as well!! Wow!!!

1 Like

That actually makes sense. It’s not only consuming bandwidth, but also running more windows processes, ram and cpu, probably worse if msfs is on your C drive with everything else and your uploading large files, big or lot of pictures, etc.

For me it’s a lot better than it used to be. The stutter hardly appears anymore and the transition flows in a few seconds. Favorite when it comes to weather in VR.

2 Likes

Ditto - I do the same as you, and NO CTD since I stated doing those things…

1 Like

Its actually nothing to do with that. Its that sometimes, even for a brief moment, the files appear to the application as though they are cloud only. Even though in OneDrive they are available offline and locally.
So periodically the application, in this case MSFS tries to use a file that it thinks is in the cloud and the whole thing cones crashing down.

Funny that’s one of the first things I disable and uninstall.

OneDrive I don’t need your one I have several, if I need to back things up I have low hour WD Black coffee grinders in the closet with enough space to back everything up 5 times.

3 Likes

I love it and wouldn’t be without it, but MSFS doesn’t play nice with it.

From some further digging I think it maybe to do with Xbox gaming services using elements from the OneDrive engine to sync game data. This continues to work even when OneDrive is paused as gaming services isn’t syncing files as such, it seems to be more like a data stream.

Either way, when both are doing their stuff at the same time bad things seem to happen, so the one I can pause, i do.

Prior to SU9 I hardly ever got CTDs. Not sure if SU9 is causing them more often or some new add-on. Or as some have mentioned, the servers not keeping up and the sim crashing.

Just today I had two. One right after I hit the fly button and another after a long flight right when I touched down.

It was a perfect flight and landing and the poof. Really ticked me off. Not sure if it even recorded the flight. I haven’t brought the sim back up since that CTD. It was over an hour flight from Honduras to Panama.

It would be great to have some log to at least let you know if it’s a add-on that is causing it.

1 Like

Remember that Windows itself has to check 5 times a minute whether the virus scanner is still up to date. I won’t even get started on Cortana, the curious snail. :scream:

1 Like

I used to get relentless CTD’s until I updated to Win11. I don’t know if that solved the problem but it was certainly coincidental. Any occasional crashes I now get are traceable to add-ons. Other info;

• Have XMP enabled and OC’s on both my CPU and GPU. I know for a fact that if I push my GPU OC any further it causes FS to crash. It does not crash benchmarks, stress tests or other games though
  • I have manually disabled Windows Updates through the registry so they only happen when I want them to. Windows bloatware like Cortana, OneDrive and all the other dross is either disabled or uninstalled wherever possible
  • I have plenty of other games on my PC as well as video and audio editing software
  • The game resides on the same drive as Windows
  • My Windows installation, GPU drivers, Chipset drivers and BIOS are all always up-to-date
  • I have lots of stuff in my Community folder via add-on linker (both pay and freeware), alongside a number of Marketplace purchases. Everything is up-to-date
  • I regularly use CCleaner to clean out the rubbish, tidy the registry and use the Windows defrag tool to trim my SSD at least once a week
  • I have various settings in Nvidia Control Panel, but use a clean driver without Geforce experience
  • I have a 1GB hardwired connection and use a 32GB rolling cache. All my settings are Ultra or higher in 4K. VSYNC30 is set in-game
  • I have manually changed the power profiles of every USB port on the machine to not sleep. This was 100% causing crashes previously. Note the catch all change in powerplan settings doesn’t work
  • I have HAGS off, Game Mode off, Game Bar off, graphics profile in Windows to high perf and my CPU power plan at maximum
  • I never see my CPU (AIO liquid cooler) or GPU (standard 2080ti triple fan) go above 70 degrees C. More often than not both are at 60 degrees
  • I don’t use live traffic (AIG instead) but use live weather and in-built ATC with the phraseology mod
  • I don’t use 3rd party anti-virus, and just let Windows Defender do its thing. User Account Control is off
  • I use the Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Saitek pedals and a wireless keyboard & mouse

Aside from CTD’s during the SU9 beta attributed to the Kodiak and certain airfields (which were resolved with the release candidate) my sim is stable. It very rarely (like, never) crashes and if it does I know why (a specific add-on that mods the default autopilot which I’ll probably just bin). I don’t suffer from the fps degradation over time and that placebo NDU ‘magic fix’ unsurprisingly does nothing so is left as per Windows default.

3 Likes

Just luck I guess. I’m not doing anything special. I’m on a laptop. I don’t use my custom built gaming PC because it’s older and slower.

So many theories, so may different idea, so may suggested solutions, that for most, do not seem to work – it really is about time the highest priority was put on an OFFICIAL solution, instead of all these Snake Oil suggestions.

I have installed MSFS since last January on my ‘new’ (actually refurbished) pc with Win 10, having had very few CTD since then, 4-5 occurrence at maximum.

The very first of these was before SU9 while repeatedly changing the size of the VFR while flying a bush trip - all of a sudden CTD and after some search here in the forums I realized that resizing the VFR can cause CTD. Doh!

The other occurrences happened during evenings when my internet connection (that is not wired) was weak and dropped all of a sudden, causing MSFS to CTD with no warnings. These happened shortly after WU9 and likely after a Win 10 update… I am unsure if the problem was caused by MSFS servers or by the internet connection but it is now several days that I have no longer CTD.

Apart these, MSFS has been for me a very consistent and stable experience.

I have many addons (aircraft, sceneries and liveries) but do not use any application connected to MSFS (like LNM, Pushback, etc) because I prefer to keep MSFS working with the least interference and possible conflicts from other programs.

My pc is nothing fancy for today standards (i7 6700k @ 4.4 Ghz, 1080 Ti, 16 Gb 3000 Mhz, 144 Hz monitor g-sync compatible), the cpu is mildly overclocked, the gpu is mildly undervolted to keep temperatures lower, memory has XMP on.

In this shape, at ultra settings 1080p, g-sync on, v-sync off, the sim is very smooth and enjoyable until I do not use airliners on complex airports (I am a low-and-slow pilot). In this situation FPS average will drop from 50 to 25.

No two PC’s are the same, there isn’t one fix. There hasn’t been on any sim tbh.

3 Likes

I’ve been running MSFS since Day 1 on a Z390 mobo/9900K/32Gb/DDR4/RTX 2080ti. Last month I upgaded to a Z690/ 12900ks/32Gb DDR5/RTX 3080ti.

Transferred All 3 drives to new system, Windows reconfigured itself to new system- not a clean install of windows. I’ve also never done a clean install of any of my Nvidia drivers, but for what it’s worth I’ve never installed geforce experience either. And I run BOTH old and new systems overclocked. CTD’s have never been a problem for me. I’ve maybe crashed 3 times since the sim’s release. And that was back during SU5 - SU6. Go Figure…

What I HAVE done:
1)Steam version. Installed MSFS on a separate drive. Never has an update wiped my install and forced a new one. EVER. I’ve done file integrity checks on Steam, It’s never forced a reinstall of MSFS- EVER.

2)Disable full screen optimizations.
3)Disable HAGS (hardware accelerated GPU Scheduling).
4) Disable Nvidia Shadowplay as well as XBOX recording software and DVR.
5) EDIT: Enable long file name support in Windows 10.
6)Nvidia control panel: Under MSFS program settings
a) Antialiasing mode: Application Controlled
b) Antialiasing Transparency: Off
c) Low Latency Mode: On
d) Power Management: Prefer Maximum Performance
e)Texture Filtering- Anisotropic sample optimization: On
f) Texture Filtering- Trillinear optimization Use Global setting Auto
g) Vertical Sync: Use the 3D application setting

All running in 4K ultra, render scaling 100, and substantial amount of add-ons in the community folder, on a 120hz Gsync/freesync monitor. The sim refresh rate is set to 30fps vsync on, however this doubles on a 120hz monitor. If you set it to 60 it will be 120hz. If you have a 120hz monitor set the refresh to 30 if you want to limit at 60. I’m not sure if this bug is related to the sim or Gsync.

What I think is the most important thing to do:

Install the sim on a separate drive. ALWAYS, and NOT in the default location it wants to force upon you. That means both when you tell steam where you want it, and also when the sim fires up for the first time, change the path at the bottom of the screen, BEFORE it installs fully.

The sim will still install some folders on your C drive (mainly the appdata folders) this is normal, as long as the actual game directory is on a separate drive.

Here are my sim settings:

Please note again as I’ve mentioned: The sim refresh rate is in fact 60fps. It is set to 30 due to my 120hz monitor. The frames are effectively doubled to whatever it is set to on a 120hz monitor.

I hope these offer some insight.

2 Likes