Blocked Microsoft Telemetry URL via pi-hole causing CTD?

I recently added a pi-hole to my network to keep the ads out and I just started getting CTDs right around the same time watson.telemetry.microsoft.com was blocked by the pi-hole.

Now as we all know by now any number of things could cause a CTD in msfs vr but I’ve struck three for three now and im just wondering if this is causing it and I have to whitelist the url or it’s pure coincidence cause I haven’t tinkered with any other setting in the sim.

Just curious.

HP Reverb G2
Ryzen 9 5900x
RX6800
OpenXR -60%
64GB Ram

Interesting. I wonder how many CTDs are caused by local software or routers that block telemetry for privacy reasons.

1 Like

That is an interesting find. I would be interested to know if you can definitively pin down that blocking this url is a guaranteed cause for a CTD.

The three failed attempts where in a Bonanza trying to fly from Mont Blanc to Zurich and the CTDs came at the same time the pi-hole blocked the telemetry url. The AMD driver didn’t crash nor did the reverb G2 disconnect via usb as it sometimes did when I first got it. This was just the sim crashing.

I just whitelisted that url and flew the same route with no issues (although I switched to the citation, I was in a rush :slight_smile: ).

This is by no means a real test so I would have to see what happens with more testing when I or someone else gets the time.

Curious to know if anyone has given this a shot.

I have a pi-hole too, but it appears I have that URL already in my whitelist.

So it seems to correlate. I don’t recall why I whitelisted it, but knowing me, it had to be a darn good reason LOL.

These telemetry data are sent AFTER a crash occurs. Watson, is the generic/legacy name that Microsoft associate with a crash in windows since 30 years.

So, even if you block the domain with Pi-Hole, it doesn’t matter, because the dump upload occurs after a crash.

Hmm okay that’s interesting. I have seen that URL called periodically every hour or so when there is no crash and the pc is running just fine with the sim off.

Let me see how I go. I’ll play around a bit and see what happens.

Same for me. I just checked my pihole logs and it’s there for all my flights today. No crashes, today at least LOL.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.