Blue skies become washed out in VR when looking down at the instrument panel

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Brief description of the issue:

The skies are beautifully blue now whereas before su10 beta they were mostly washed out. So I’m totally enjoying that. When I point my head down to look at the gages, there’s a visual shift where the dashboard becomes brighter so you can see it better in the daylight, but I notice the sky becomes totally washed out as the dashboard brightens. I assume this is an expected behavior as your eyes adjust when looking down, however the effect seems extreme and overdone.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Fly in VR in daylight and look down at the instruments and you’ll notice the washed-out sky.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Are you using DX12?

no

Are you using DLSS?

no

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes.

Having the same issue mentioned above.

It is hard to record it in VR as it only occurs in the headset not on projected image.

May i ask you to edit your title to something related to the issue as it could get recognized better?

1 Like

First line from the Planes, General section of the patch notes.

“Camera auto exposure now adapt to a reduced area in the center of the screen in VR. This avoids too dark cockpit instruments when looking at them, or over brighten exterior when looking through the window”

Looks like it’s working as intended.

Are we going to need another slider to make everyone happy?

7 Likes

It has always been that way. However what I’ve noticed in this beta is that they fixed the brightness when looking straight to the side and while looking up at any angle where it becomes darker (natural colors) instead of overexposed brightness. I like it I can actually see the landscape and other objects

2 Likes

I totally like this behaviour of the Auto Brightness! Now i can see the outside clouds from the A320 Cockpit and not only a bright white window. This also works good in the Bonanza. Did not test any more planes but i think this is very well done. Please keep it as it is Asobo (or implement some sliders to perhaps change the speed of the adjustment or the range of the exposure measurement. But for me it is perfect now.)

Yes, as per the other thread it blinds me with my G2 and it’s overdone IMO. I don’t see it like this in real life at all, needs to be tweaked and/or and optional setting/slider.

9 Likes

I agree. Please do not change the blue skys. They’re great now and have significantly improved my enjoyment in the sim. Maybe just minimize the external brightness when looking at the instrument panel. Look at the photo in my post. The instrument panel does not need to be that bright that’s showing on the rightmost photo.

1 Like

On the contrary, this sim is way overexposed for those of us who use HDR. HDR needs calibration per the hundreds of different monitors and TVs out there, and a game in 2022 that doesn’t have any type of slider/calibration for exposure, tone mapping, etc is absurd.

I like the new update cause we can finally see a darker outside view in VR. My only suggestion would be to have a smoother and slower transition between the inside and outside view. It’s too sudden when you bring your head up and down. I would like to have a better fade between the two but it’s way better than before !! Thank you :blush:

2 Likes

yes

WMR, Reverb G2. Here’s me looking slightly down (bottom pic) at the instruments, the washed out blinding light is extremely overdone.
There’s an Eye Adaption setting in the usercfg file that does not work, this needs to be rectified please and made an Option.

6 Likes

If I look around front to side brightness changes rapidly due to crossing the aircraft frame. Some locations become unrealistically dark near night levels in the middle of the day. Turbulence can make the brightness jump around too.

Using motion reprojection increases warping artifacts considerably due to rapid changes in scenery / sky brightness.

As it stands it’s a step in the right direction for controlling exposure but really needs some more thought and work.

I was finding this too when flying the TBM when moving my head past the pillar to the pilots left. I also found flying Concorde in the dark in external view with reheats lit that the screen brightness was flickering bright and dark in time with the reheat glow.

I too like the idea they have implemented but in my view there needs to be a short hysteresis period where, like your real pupils, the brightness you see doesn’t change immediately in response to the scenery brightness changing rapidly in front of you but over the longer term it should. A slider for such hysteresis period would be good.

One thing I noticed when flying the Fenix A320 - if you pull down the sun visor and look at the sky through that - so much detail!
Yes, it’s an ugly orange colour - but the clouds never looked so good.
I don’t know how they achieve this - but maybe there’s something for Asobo here?

Sadly, this comes with certain side effects I don’t appreciate. Try flying in a single-engine plane with a mostly white livery on a sunny day, if necessary raise your view so you can see the down the engine cowling in front of you. Moving your view so it wanders along sky, white cowling, instrument panel, and back leads to funky, abrupt, unrealistic, and quite distracting brightness changes.

I can’t even say how auto exposure worked before.
For me, it apparently worked so well that I never really noticed it.

If this change stays in the sim, I’ll have to pick my liveries not based on personal preference or aesthetics, but based on how the color of the cowling or nose of the plane might affect the auto-exposure.

yes, its horrible and an immersion breaker.

Same as above original poster.

Yes

Extremly blinding when looking down and even up in sunset conditions, the overhead becomes hardly legible.
The not overexposed area is very narrow.

2 Likes

Completely agree with washed-out posts.
Any aircraft with a large instrument interior and a small-aperture windshield (eg 737) completely washes out the midday sky when looking inside.

I have the same problem with my G2. It also causes the world outside the cockpit to go completely dark when looking in the direction of the rotating green/white lights at airports. Every time the green or white light displays on the tower at night everything else disappears into blackness. When the light goes out the world lights up again. It makes it difficult to navigate an aircraft at night with your view blacking out every second.