Blue skies become washed out in VR when looking down at the instrument panel

Looking out window.

Tilting head down

I compared this to the real conditions outside at it matched the bottom screen shot. It looked nothing at all like the top screen shot IRL.

At least there is a work around. I can point my head where I want exposure and then look where I need with my eyes, lol.

I challenge anyone that thinks this is good to fly in mixed lighting conditions, at night with lights around and/or moonlight.

The washed out look during the daytime wasn’t exposure. I think it’s just modeled haze. For that Asobo could have fixed the sun visors instead. They do an amazing job at providing visual clarity.

I just tried editing the UserCfg and it does seem to lessen the intensity. Enough so that I have some relief as I don’t think this will be fixed given past beta history.

Have you checked the video I posted above? This is (was) definitely an exposure issue.
Seeing your screenshots proves that it isn’t properly fixed indeed.

Looking at both my capture again it’s apparent the top one is also too washed out and the bottom one is too dark.

It’s a local airport and I had live weather and time on. Neither of those conditions reflected above were anything like what I was seeing outside. Not that I expect it to be perfect.

The effect is less extreme when I have it disabled but it’s still there. Night time flying was getting really wonky. The city lights were fading in and out with minor head movements.

Yeah this is horrible and actually ruins night time flying for me in the G2.

It is absolutely immersion breaking having the lighting changing so drastically every time I move my head and it actually makes me feel like I’m flying in a cartoon haha. It’s really bad.

Scale it back like in SU9 or put in a slider. I am praying this doesn’t become one of the radio silent Asobo issues.

4 Likes

Yes, i have flown in iceland around 23.June where the sun never completely goes down at midnight. This is like sunrise or sunset. Used the Pipistrel Virus and had a perfect, i mean extraordinarily good experience. No fading noticed, but perhaps because i mostly look out the window. I am perhaps the sightseeing type of user and for me this is much better than before. At some twilight flights i saw also a bit of fading but it did not bother me much. I am much more bothered by the stars which are nearer than the clouds. I did not try looking at strobe lights, perhaps for night time the algorithm is not (yet?) perfect. Would be good to be able to fine tune the algorithm in a way that everyone gets the best picture for her/his likings.

For me it is fixed, because if you look at the gauges you can read them (the whole picture gets brighter and the sky also, bottom picture) and when you look out the window, the exposure is reduced, the gauges get darker but the sky is perfectly rendered (top picture). This also works in Aircraft with small windows like the A320 when looking out the copilot window. This was completely white before at daytime - now you can see the beautiful clouds.

Well over 100 votes spread across the various threads on this subject, I fully expect this issue to be worked on (if not already) for SU10 Public Release.

If no On/Off switch or Slider comes soon, then we need to test a Fix during this beta period, “tweaking” this issue may not be enough.

Worryingly I’ve found previous attempts to fix previous VR regressions very poor, this is a chance for Asobo to not just listen but act straight away - Please do not allow this regression to go Public.

1 Like

I just tried Ísafjörður, one of my favorite airports! It wasn’t too bad on current conditions but I have the adaption set to zero. There were a few odd exposure transition but overall not bad.

In the top photo I could not make out the runway/taxiways had it not been for the ribbons. I had to aim my head down at an awkward angle and look through the top of the headset. The same thing happened when visually navigating on that flight. The ground kept blacking out a second after looking at it.

On a night flight the city lights were jumping around at least +/- 3 EV. I really wanted to put my camera in manual exposure mode. Except I didn’t have a camera.

This may become Microsoft Photography Simulator.

Also one of my favorite Airports!
Before SU10 the “eye adaptation” had absoultely no effect. I guess this is still the same.

When you look at the sun, it is directly in front of you. In real life this would be also very difficult lighting conditions where you would need dark sunglasses and also would then have problems making out taxiways/runways as the glasses are dark. Or without glasses you would be blended by the sun.

In that example it was the sun behind clouds. The conditions were surprisingly similar to the real life conditions. I was able to look and see the sky and ground together with uniform illumination.

Full on sun actually wasn’t as bad as backlight clouds. It’s clouds+sun or lights/moon at night time where the effects get bad.

In the sim I usually use the sun visors. But have been testing SU10 in default airplanes which don’t allow the visors to move.

I’m kind of worried now about what adaptation might do with the sun visors.

I’ve done a bit more testing and I’ve found that in some conditions (mostly ideal day time weather) the effect is actually okay. I think this is why some people like it.

But in conditions where it’s not ideal it can get quite bad. Essentially, any scene with mixed brightness, white clouds, moonlight, bright airplane lights, cities at night, etc.

Serious need for an in game toggle.