Blurred ground textures in specific situations

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No.

Brief description of the issue:

Terrain texture is blurred when using large planes on Xbox, such as a320, 747 and 787. Terrain is not is blurred with smaller aircraft, from small aircraft to Citation Longitude.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Same airport, different aircraft…

ICAO or coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

SBTE , SBFZ, SBRJ Airport. Among others…

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

When using any large aircraft, the ground texture on Xbox has a significant reduction, the texture is blurred. Both on airport runways and outside. It happens more in airports other than Asobo itself. Small aircraft do not cause this.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Xbox

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

They do in fact. See:

Yes

PC, Steam version, Nvidia GPU, latest driver, 16x AF, (screenshot is DX11).
This issue may be somewhat difficult to reproduce because (for me) it doesn’t always occur at the same airport or runway.

If relevant, provide addition

1 Like

@EricP6825 are you using DX11 or DX12? My screenshot above was DX11. I am using DX12 now and not sure if I’m still seeing this bug. Edit - oops I forgot, you have Xbox. Not sure what DX version that uses.

1 Like

This seems to be quite easy to fix. Well, it’s easy to reproduce.

1 Like

Yes, Xbox dx12

1 Like

Okay, maybe on Xbox it is. For PC maybe not so much. For me it probably happens on less than 10% of runways, but when it does happen, it’s ugly. I hope the developers can reproduce it.

1 Like

Yes

Platform:

PC

This is happening reliably with any aircraft when spawning directly onto airport LEVX runway 01.
If any other spawn position is selected, the runway looks correct.

4 Likes

Reproduced at LEVX on the first try. Before loading in, I set “Skip Pre-Flight Cinematics” to ON to prevent the AI from taxiing the plane around (which might have given the textures more time to load).

Look at the white stripe just behind the plane. Blurry and jagged.

This was in DX11 mode.

1 Like

All the images I posted were taken after skipping the cinematics.
This time I let the plain auto-taxi to the runway without skipping and it does seem to improve things a bit:

You can still see a small section of low-resolution textures on the runway but definitely not as prominent as after skipping the cinematics

2 Likes

It’s some sort of texture streaming problem. Many games have this issue where they first load lower quality textures and eventually they become better quality. But the simulator appears to get stuck and stops streaming in the higher quality textures, especially when the plane stops moving.

3 Likes

Reproduced in DX12 as well. Again on the 1st try:

2 Likes

Leaving the simulator in drone mode and raising the drone to a certain altitude, after returning to the external camera the blur disappears and the image quality improves considerably.

@iinKWest Can you let me know if Microsoft is already aware of this bug? This is very annoying and breaks the immersion.

This is happening for me as well and it is ruining the simulator. What is the point of having bing maps scenery if its going to look like a mobile game like Infinite Flight. It looks horrible and I am also curious to see if Microsoft is doing anything about it because it has been like this for over a month and it’s getting annoying.

1 Like

Yup, I can confirm that the team is aware of this issue and that it is being tracked - that is what the #bug-logged tag on the thread denotes. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I managed to find out the issue for now which was turning off photogrammetry as it was causing uneven terrain on runways and taxiways at default airports. With pg off the uneven terrain is no longer a factor.

Every now and then the dedicated (hand optimized or auto-generated) ground textures of airports are very blurry.

It feels like the sim “picked” a texture tile with a very low (down sampled) resolution … and then fails to upgrade it to the proper “high res” version, while other more distant tiles sometimes do have a high res.

In this example all airport ground tiles are blurry …

… the “important” part is that those texture bugs do not heal over time. The textures stay the same even when I change the camera in that view.

However … if I switch to the drone cam … move around … and then come back to my airplane I typically get the correct high res ground textures

… and if I then switch to the “external camera” again … I also get the high res airport textures.

(Note, that the regular ground textures right and left of the runway are always of the “correct” resolution … so this seem airport texture specific)

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO … I do not use the Dev Mode

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

YES … this happens even without mods (but in the above screenshots I have the Kitfox which clearly is an addon … but the airport is “Asobo auto-generated”)

Brief description of the issue:

… see above

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

… see above

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

No reproducible … but it happens fairly often

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

AMD Vega II GPU

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU10 + DX12beta … and I have not seen this bug prior to SU10

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

1 Like

Based on this post (thread) …

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/dx12-ground-texture-bug-still-present/549380?u=nenenui

… this DX12 texture bug is still in SU11.

1 Like

We are still having major issues with ground textures being low resolution, and just not seem to update to better resolution.

It does not matter what i set the LOD at. The blurr is almost as bad no matter what, but with severe stutter at LOD400. This used to run smoothly on my pc with nice looking ground.

Are you aware of this issue again???

I am still seeing this in the final release of SU11.