Blurry textures have been solved!

Good news, I was experiencing VERY blurry textures since SU5, but it seems the issue has mostly (it still happens from time to time in certain areas) been solved. As we expected it seems the problem came from an overload in MS servers due to all the new users.

These pictures are from today:

10 Likes

Sounds promising! I had the issue on launch day that sometimes streaming data was not loaded in (you can tell quickly by the “FSX”-look of the ground) but there was no network warning. Later, this was fine again. Would be nice if at least this problem is only server side so that we don’t have to wait for hotfixes/updates.

1 Like

Yes, it seems like it, the patch has not yet been released yet the graphics, at least for me, are not blurry at all now!

1 Like

which altitude ? LOD 200 ?

And once again, better communication could go a long way to making things calmer around here during and immediately after an update, or any time server load starts degrading performance.

When the sim isn’t getting all the data it wants and performance/appearance will suffer, notify users. It’s not obvious after an update what all is impacted and Asobo doesn’t provide full change logs, so users naturally assume the degradation they see is due to the update.

The sim and servers know if load on servers is causing problems. They should go the last mile and tell users. If experience is any guide, a lot of people may also have had satellite imagery also silently disable itself.

It’s an old bone to pick but FS2020 has never respected user sim settings in UserCfg.opt - even though it’s named like it’s our choices in there. They aren’t though. MS/Asobo routinely changes whatever they want - silently - and the only way to stop that is by making the file read-only.

So much trouble could be prevented if they would just tell us there are server load issues. And, like I said before the update, any failures on server load are up to Microsoft and how much of their Azure server farm resources they decided to devote to this. It was Microsoft’s ball to drop and by golly, it looks like they dropped it.

11 Likes

To be honest, to realize that on and even some days after such a huge patch with thousands of people downloading and “testing” at the same time, you do not need to have an engineers degree to come to the conclusion that maybe some of the unwanted effects are due to overloaded servers in a full streaming simulator, no?

6 Likes

FL 240, LOD 400 in the last 2 pictures

I agree. But the results speak for themselves. We’re flooded with angry posts about blurry scenery and clouds.

FS2020 has gone mainstream now and we have lots more people with much less time or experience with this stuff. Unfortunately the user base may need a bit more hand-holding and soothing.

3 Likes

True, but I am a gamer for almost 35 years now and it was always a credo: never play on a patch day. I wonder why this obviously is not widespread anymore nowadays, as it prevented me from many bad experiences in many other games as well.

BTW: also the LOD pop in is greatly reduced now, at least on my end with just using LOD slider on max and no UserOpt.cfg tweak. Barely visible, only when I do really fast view changes, e.g. jumping into the VC from external view. But for sure nothing close to that what it was on release day and the day after…

2 Likes

How do you change the LOD to 400? The game allows for 200 max doesn’t it?

I’m glad the problem seems fixed.

But with respect, I don’t think it was the servers’ problem.
I did a series of tests measuring the data received by the server as the altitude increased, from 0 to FL390.

Texture and object data downloaded smoothly until an altitude between FL180 and FL200 was reached. Once past FL200, the data traffic stops completely, giving blurry textures that many of us have seen.

I think the problem was more a server policy (or texture LOD limit) than a service saturation problem. IMHO

I cannot verify the current situation, I am still at work.
Thanks for the information.

My apologies if I look rude, but I’m not good at writing English.

8 Likes

you edit your config file manually

1 Like

Change your user.cfg LOD number to 4

2 Likes

You are not rude at all, in fact you might be right! I was just speculating :wink:

1 Like

Because we now live in an age where nobody has patience anymore. I’ve also been a gamer for 35 years, and that’s one of the biggest changes I’ve seen in gaming communities over the years… everyone wants everything right this second, goes mad if they have to wait, and jumps on things the moment they arrive. It’s just the way it is, unfortunately.

10 Likes

right? just a single word from the developers acknowledging the problem with the blurry textures and maybe a simple explanation would have been really great.

it’s obvious there were many problems with the release, yet i have not seen a single statement from the devs regarding all these reported problems.

it’s a bit frustrating, but i’m still looking forward to log in again over the weekend and see for myself. thanks for the screenshots.

2 Likes

The most vitriolic nonsense on this forum is not coming from Xbox users, it’s coming from adults who should know better.

There was no problem for them to acknowledge.

7 Likes

In their defense, it has only been 48h since the patch, that is very little time for a company to react to all the noise that happened yesterday, imo people were just too impatient.

6 Likes

I did the data tests with the default LOD 2 in ultra mode.
I have tested up to LOD 10, and I think that between 4 and 6 works more or less as before the SU5

Some people though (not me) have been waiting for over two years for never arriving fixes. SU4 got a lot of prettyness to forgive the many bugs, but now not even that is/was left.

At the same time, overall, the fairy dramatic response in the community is in itself a testimony of how much people have loved the sim when at SU4.

Psychologically, people don’t mind change, they mind loss. Losing the very beautiful environment to dream off in, not knowing what changes have in mind for them now, has been a burden on 'm.

2 Likes