Boeing 787 stiff nose wheel

I have come across a problem with the Boeing 787 which makes it almost impossible to taxi: For some reason the nose wheel has very little sensitivity so that when I try to turn whilst taxiing, I always end up running off the taxiway.
I solved this using the ‘take-off auto rudder’ assist but it means that the plane is always trying to correct itself by turning left even though I am now able to turn far enough on the taxiways.

Would it be possible for this to be fixed in a future update or is there a better way of solving my problem?

At the moment I’d rather use auto rudder and have the plane always trying to turn instead of just not being able to taxi at all. :sweat_smile:

Thanks!

12 Likes

While you waiting for problem solved, let AI to do taxi then you continue rest

2 Likes

Same problem here. Impossible to taxi and steer properly the 787 , something again has changed assignement after last patch may be? Uneseful plane at the moment. Incredible…

3 Likes

Same Issue here, cannot steer the 787 left or right on the ground, impossible to make 90 degree turns on the ground without diff brakes, and full throttle (experiencing this issue on 1.9.3.0)

2 Likes

I noticed that the nose wheel steering sensitivity is high so it’s not always proposal to your input.
at least with my joystick it turn more than i usually intent so its more like feeling it rather than realistic atm

Also having this issue. It seems to only happen when I have the rudder control 100% to one side. If I “pump” the control on and off at low speed I can make some turns. Still don’t have the turning radius to make 180 degree turns though. Definitely worse in the latest patch.

2 Likes

Have you tried backtracking on the runway in the 787 (with this model)?

yes i have and imo its better than the launch date steering, but turning beyond 75% of max rudder it will start skidding but yeah

I cant turn beyond 45 degrees with this model =( the nose wheel keeps skidding as if there were no friction between the wheel and the ground; what am I missing?

1 Like

i’ll record someday when i make 180 :smiley:

1 Like

Likewise… have virtually no steering via my rudder pedals. Going to ZenDesk to report; all having this issue should do the same. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yep, have submitted a Zendesk report for this

here’s the video i promised, took too long :frowning:

its not stationary 180 but way better turning than before

2 Likes

So what did you do to be able to turn that much?

1 Like

nothing special, a bit of thrust and 75% of rudder, not max but around 75% so it turns at least for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this video, great job! You may note, I am now able to make steeper turns pumping the rudder back and forth (from the default center position to the left or right); however, this much of effort is not required for the native 747 or the A320 from Asobo. I wonder if this is a bug?

1 Like

This is definitely a bug. I have been experiencing the same thing.

You can either use not quite full rudder or you can pump it back and forth to make a turn.

3 Likes

I agree, it is definitely a bug. With the original release Aug 18, I could get full tiller response. Along comes release 1
8.3 and I had to play with throttle to get a decent turn. Version 1.9.3 is so bad I moved to the 747-8i.

1 Like

I only had this issue when I apply the brakes while holding short on the runway, to wait for my clearance.

I never had this issue when I start my taxiing. The turn radius is better than launch, and I don’t need to push the engine too hard to start rolling. But as soon as I apply the brakes to stop before the runway to get clearance. I couldn’t move anymore, unless I apply about 80% thrust, that’s when it start to roll forward but I still couldn’t steer. I have to use left/right braking in little increments to get it to turn appropriately.

But if I don’t use the brakes at the end of the runway, I don’t have the issue. (ie, just taxi into position on the runway without stopping at the entry.

1 Like

Same here.
When last patch come out after push back and releasing brakes i crashed to the terminal building due to no steering :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like