Brakes sensitivity

I have done a lot of reading regarding brakes sensitivity using the joystick unfortunately I was not been able to find a solution. When taxiing if I press the brakes lightly the plane does not slow down; but when pressing a bit harder the planes comes to a complete stop. This can be very annoying when taxiing. I wonder if any of you have a solution. Thanks

1 Like

I assume from what you’ve written that you have some kind of axes bound to brakes, and not an on/off or toggle binding.

What do you see on the controllers page, under Sensitivity. Watch the white bar as it moves from left to right as you apply the brake. If it looks smooth there, you might want to consider setting up some response curve.

My brake mapping is the trigger on my X52. The one thing I find annoying is that those brakes take time to engage. I’ve also noticed that not all of the planes even have full braking available - the toe brake scalar is set to a lower percentage. I’m seriously tempted to raise those. In the meantime, if you need to stop in a hurry, just hit the parking brake. I know it’s not realistic, but it works.

Is there a way to edit aircraft files to make brakes weaker?

Any of the stock 20 planes and probably any third-party planes in the community folder. Open the Systems config file and look for the [Brakes] section. The toe brake scalar determines how much braking is available under normal braking. In my experience, most of those are already too light. If breaking is too heavy for you and you don’t have pedals with toe brakes, then tap your controller button (trigger in my case) and release to modulate the brake pressure.

@WhippyRelic2442 , what are you using as your controller set? I used to use the trigger on my X52 for this but find it hard to control. Do you have a slider available that you can use as a brake axis? If so, you can bind the left and right brake to a single axis and then get very precise control of your braking.

While I still have the X52, I use the Airbus TCA Sidestick in MSFS and bind the brakes to the throttle slider. Very effective.

The two rotary knobs on my throttle are mix/pitch for pistons, and condition/prop for turboprops. On the rare occasion that I get into a hair dryer, the slider is set to spoilers. I’ve been using the trigger for brakes for so long, it’s completely second nature to me.

Thank you I am using x52. In flight simulator I went to sensitivity page however when pressing brake on x 52 the axis do not move. For now I am using the keyboard for brakes; I am getting better response. This issue started after the last update.

IIRC there are a few different options for brakes that you can assign to an on/off button like a key press. I think there are brakes, then brakes (hard) or similar.

For the X52, can you use the slider on the throttle? I have an X52 also and this is what I used before a started using the TCA Airbus sidestick as my primary. You would use “Left brake axis” and “right brake axis” bound to the same slider on the X52 throttle. When you test, they should move in unison.

If that happens, you might lose your differential braking.

You will for sure but I’ve not found a need for that since you can still use the twist axis as your “tiller”.

1 Like

The problem there is that Asobo took the steering specs for most planes very literally. For instance, in the C172, the rudder pedals only deflect the nose steering a maximum of 15° either way. The rest of the steering is accomplished by differential braking and spring loaded linkages going to the nose gear. Without diff. braking, you’re left with a very wide turning circle.

And to take it even further, the DA40 has no steering linkage - the front wheel casters. The sim version is set up like that too. Without diff. braking, the only way to steer on the ground is with increased throttle and rudder input to push the tail around.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.