Brand new to VR, any tips?

I’m a little late to the party but here’s my advice, especially early on: Don’t start messing with any settings outside of the flight sim itself. If what you’re seeing looks good to you and is stable, don’t start chasing frames or quality.

I say that because I enjoyed VR so much; that is, until I wondered how much better I could get it to look and/or perform. I was new to VR and the sim was amazing until then. Now I spend more time reading about setting and tweaking them than I do actually flying the sim.

Just my two cents, YMMV.

4 Likes

The most important lesson I’ve learned from MSFS in VR is: Spend more time flying and less time fiddling with settings. You can spend countless hours reading through forums, experimenting with an infinite amount of combinations between game mode, HAGS and Nvidia settings. You can keep searching for the magic bullet, and every other day someone on the forum will claim to have found the magic setting suddenly giving them infinite amount of FPS and clarity, but it only works for about three of a thousand users. Most of these magic settings don’t make any noticeable difference anyway for most users. All those threads discussing graphics settings get so long so quickly that it’s impossible to read them all and filter all the relevant information. I’ve made the mistake of trying to improve all those settings for way too long. Usually if you set your render resolutions and in game graphics settings, you are 95% there. Don’t waste your time searching for these last 5%.

3 Likes

My tip would be to buy a buttkicker! I can’t fly in VR without it, adds so much to the immersion!

1 Like

I just started in VR, and I don’t think I can ever go back to 2D monitor flying.
Sure, it’s not as pretty and as clear and as glitter free as the 2D stuff, but all that won’t matter when you trade some (but not all) of it in for the immersion and the feeling you’re actually in the air.
My machine isn’t top of the line, but not down in the dumps, either, so it does OK.
The best way to start is to just dial back all your settings and go from there.

LOL. I smacked my face into the mantle piece walking back in the Grand Caravan. I was looking for a toilet. Beer may have been involved.

4 Likes

I’ve been wondering about the practicality of VR flights with looking up VOR and ILS frequencies etc. How do you manage a sort of virtual kneeboard?

Hi @smithcorpoz, I use the in game ‘kneeboard’ that @anon50133889 mentions above. There are a few other similar applications available too, which I’ve not tried. All have pros and cons. This one works pretty well in VR, main drawbacks I’ve had are that the maps can be very slow lo load, and if you want to complete a proper navigation plan, you have to do it within MSFS … okay in 2D before flight, but tricky in VR. But with some pre-flight planning (as any good pilot will do), you can set up the key documents beforehand that you want to be viewable … as long as you can create a .pdf or .jpg file with the data you need.

Maps and nav info in VR are the hardest part. If you’re a Navigraph subscriber, you can log in and access that system within MSFS but the auto scaling makes maps very hard to read in VR.

The default map works fine in VR, but of course doesn’t have nearly enough information to be of much use. I’m hoping that someday, they will get around to making this more like a proper sectional chart…

1 Like

Did you try the latest 1.0 release of the Charts in-game panel? It has much improved handling of high resolution (4k) displays and is worth a try if you haven’t already.

1 Like

Thanks all for the advice

Hi there, complete novice here – any help would be very much appreciated. I can’t post my own topic yet so hijacking this one!

Basically I’m a training to take my PPL and have absolutely no knowledge with PC’s other than using for office work. I was advised by my flight instructor that flight sims are a good option, when you can’t get any flight time, so decided to invest. I decided that I wanted to make it as immersive / realistic an experience as was possible, so invested a fair bit of cash on my set up.

This is what I have:

VR Headset: HTC Vive Pro

Intel i7 8 Core CPU

ASUS ATX Motherboard

32GB DDR 4 Ram CORSAIR GAMING

500GB Solid State Hard Drive m.2 nVME

RTX 3060Ti Graphics card

ATX Case Rack type

700 Watt PSU GOLD

Wireless card

Gbit Lan Card

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

Gigabit LAN Card

Basically to cut a long story short, the issue that I’m experiencing is that there is no consistency from one day to the next? In other words, one day I’ll ‘fly’ and the graphics and detail will look utterly jawdropping…but then the next day I’ll fly with no changes to the graphics, and the detail will be appalling – almost laughable. Roads will look like 50 pence pieces and there will be little to no tree’s /greenery.

I try to change the settings to account for this but turning everything up to as high as it possibly will go makes no difference at all? There really is no consistency or pattern to it at all, it’s as simple as one day I’ll boot up my PC and it will be fine, another day it won’t be fine.

Hi All,

New to the forum and VR, can’t see how to post a new topic so I have replied to this.

I have oculus quest 2 and tried all suggested settings I can find on this forum but can’t get open xr to work. Any help appreciated.

Or pointing to the correct topic.

Thanks in advance

To connect Quest 2 and PC, you need to install oculus app to your pc. It might be available on their website as I remember. Open XR has nothing to do with Quest 2.

I just ordered the Pimax 8kx, and my computer has a 5900x,32 gb ram, and a 3080ti, so i am really excited, i just hope that flying on Vatsim wont be a problem.

1 Like

I’m using the oculus quest 2 and it does pretty well. I’m playing on an entry level graphics card, evga rtx 1660 xc gaming, and I have to put the settings down pretty low to keep it alive. I basically have everything, and I mean everything on low or turned off. I keep TAA on, because it looks like hot garbage without that on, scale rendering is at 90, detail level is 50, and scenery detail is also at 50. Inside the aircraft looks pretty good and works well enough on these settings. It’s still worth it even in low settings.

1 Like

Reagradless of your hardware, my tip would be to buy the Stearman and go fly low and slow away from cities. No fancy instrumentation or autopilots, just a slow, easy to fly biplane that’s easy on the fps. Maybe buy a fan too to get that breeze in your face, lol. Stand up sit down, lean over, have fun. Oh and clouds, lots of clouds. VR is about being IN the plane and flying for the sheer joy of it.

Maybe try a glider too, the free AS 33 Me electric glider needs no tow plane or winch and it will go for twenty miles from 2,000ft without having to deploy the motor pod. A bit of wind dialled in and you can ridge soar all day like a giant pterodactyl, magic.

2 Likes

Hi Buddy, I have the oculus app and have followed the videos, changed the registry and done everything I can, but it looks like its not recognising on the Open XR?

Could something like Bit defender cause an issue by blocking something?

Thanks in advance :o)

My question is why you are trying to run open xr to connect your quest 2 with pc while oculus products have nothing to do with open xr app and only need oculus app? Connect a link cable, open oculus app, play MSFS, and switch to vr mode from pc mode…that’s all.

1 Like

Open XR benefit is for WMR devices mainly like Reverb G2 to run through instead of Steam VR.

I have been trying to get working through Oculus app (Without the cable). When I go to MSFS and switch to VR is says no headset found, even though it says connected on the app.

I did some reading on this forum, changed the registry as instructed and got curious with the Open XR, I downloaded the developer tools and noticed that no headset was found on there either so assumed it may have something to do with that.

I’m doing everything though the oculus app, just without the cable. Followed the registry instructions etc so not sure what’s happened really. Probably my lack of knowledge in this area.

‘Without the cable’ in your post means relying on airlink function, doesn’t it? Would you make sure that you activated airlink options in both the headset and the pc?