Broken XBOX Controller - Rudder

That wasn’t exactly helpful in solving the problem of getting the xbox controller to work correctly, which it did (as reported in alpha)

3 Likes

Just my opinion. I was not involved in alpha, so how should I know it worked better before? :stuck_out_tongue:

not all of us have the ability to get a joystick, it’d be nice if something that worked better than a keyboard actually worked. I would love a good setup, I just don’t have that ability right now.

I’m sorry I wasn’t more polite in my comment however, I wasn’t meaning to be rude, I was just frustrated with the problem.

2 Likes

Don’t know if this helps, but I’m using a Logitech F310 gamepad on my laptop MSFS install and the rudder axis on the right stick works exactly like the elevator and aileron axis on the left stick.

Adding my voice to the choir hoping for a fix. I purchased this on release but I am still having to fly Prepar3d instead, as no rudder is GAME BREAKING.

1 Like

Thanks. I did try this mapping earlier, however, I miss the ability to use that stick to look around the cockpit. Being an analog stick it works much better than the ‘hat’ switch on my Logitech Extreme3d Pro. Yes I do have a ‘flight’ stick, however, its ‘Z’ axis is giving out and is not reliable, even after repairs. That is a common issue with the Extreme 3d Pro joystick, and mine is probably 10-15 years old. They have been around that long.

I really like the XBox controller for Flight Simulator, which I also used in FSX. The one thing I wish they had is a slider someplace for the throttle.

4 Likes

Is there a voting thread anymore?
I’d love to upvote the problem. Its actually not awful when you change the sensitivities on everything else, right stick is way too awkward to use as rudder though.

1 Like

I’m actually massively shocked this isn’t fixed by now. This cannot be that hard to fix!

4 Likes

I had this problem since launch. They want to sell peripherals, since all the manufactures are their “partners”. Unbelievable. Havent played this game for a month because of this, and it still isnt fixed.

1 Like

Asobo engineers said in a few interviews that they were aiming for the true sim experience, and that this was going to be first and foremost a PC simulator with support for hardware peripherals that the sim community tends to use. Supporting the Xbox controller for some players as well as an eventual console release was a secondary goal.

Asobo developers underestimate the number of simulator enthusiasts who love using a gamepad. The gamepad is elegant, minimalistic, comfortable, and allows for precise control of four full axes and two half-axes. There are also 14 buttons, which is plentiful for chorded inputs. The Xbox Elite controller series also has four paddles underneath that can be mapped to other buttons to make them accessible without removing the fingers from the sticks.

I prefer using a gamepad for simulators. We gamepad players get made fun of in simulator forums, but that is just elitism. I do own a full set of Thrustmaster joystick, throttle and rudder pedals, but I keep returning to the gamepad due to its ergonomic appeal.

This message is getting long, but if someone at Asobo reads it, it should be interpreted as a plea to prioritise full support for gamepads, not only fixing rudder, but allowing chorded inputs where the second button doesn’t simultaneously activate its default non-chorded behaviour, and also allowing some way to navigate exhaustively through cockpit instruments and buttons to interact with them without having to bind everything beforehand.

8 Likes

Xbox team, whats the go with still no support for the xbox controller to have proper Rudder control? Can we at least be informed as to why it’s taking so long? For such a feat that this game is, its hard to see why a Microsoft product struggles to support its own Microsoft controller…

P.S As of right now, I just downloaded the ‘US’ update and patch notes still don’t address it

6 Likes

Xbox controller because the good, old reliable keyboard control of the previous versions don’t work.

I wrote again a Request to Zendesk. I know bad vendors that NEED again and again a bug list, because they think that just deliver a new version erases the old bug list.
And I am sure that a few days later I get a “solved” state.
And I am again sure that this bug is not repaired with the next FS2020 fix.
Asobo/Microsoft: What the f**k! I understand that there are complex problems in a flight sim that need several attempts to fix them - I write software myself. But this Xbox controller problem is NOT a complex problem. It is just annoying.

Request #79843 Xbox controller rudder bug

Update: Yes, I got the Zendesk “solved” state. And it is worth a s**t. I even gave a proposal for a workaround in the bugreport:
If it is a Xbox controller problem here is my workaround suggestion: Every time the simulator state machine reads Xbox controller input, read the LT, RT value several times (2, 3 times). Use the highest read value of this “read burst”. The effect: Only if all reads deliver 0% value, the 0% value is forwarded to the simulator.
This happens for left rudder and right rudder. See my Youtube video https://youtu.be/TICDvQLyWxk

3 Likes

How is this still a thing? Just got a decent PC and I was highly motivated to buy it because of all the awesome advertising of the new flight sim.

So controlling an aircraft with keyboard and mouse only kinda sucks. I decided to pair my Xbox One controller to my PC to try it out. And then basic things like proper rudder control which has been done right in dozens of other games including previous flight sims doesn’t work right… This is ridiculous.

Does anyone have any news about an upcoming fix?

1 Like

I begin to believe they deliberately don’t solve the problem so that we give in and buy a full rig with yoke and rudder. Because Asobo have obviously proven their skills, so fixing that issue should be no problem. So that is the only reason they dont solve that issue, because they dont want to, because it brings $$$. Good thing I only bought one month of game pass and didnt buy the game. Total ripoff, image with what they will want to make money in the future.

2 Likes

How are the XBOX Controller Rudders not fixed yet asobo? You cant make us believe it is too hard for a Microsoft studio to implement their own controller while being able simulate the whole friggn world.
The only reason Asobo is not fixing this I think is because they want to us to buy the yokes and rudders from the companies they are partnered with, and not use the controller.

Glad I only bought a month of game pass. Never buying this game until I see a patchnote. Bye.

2 Likes

I am a big supporter of both the game and Asobo, but even I have to believe that not fixing this issue after all this time is a deliberate choice on Asobos part.

I mean ■■■■, even $1 flight games on steam from one man teams working from mommies basement can get a simple rudder control correct.

5 Likes

I agree with you. I have been waiting 3 months to solve this problem by Asobo. Today, I have no hope. It is obvious they do not want to fix it, since there are economic interests involved. I think that until the Xbox version comes out they will not fix it. Too bad I bought the premium Deluxe version…

3 Likes

Is there any way to revive this thread or post elsewhere to get a response from the Devs?

Its very disheartening to not even get a response

2 Likes

I have asked in several threads for some input on this issue. I put in a Zendesk item on Sept.1 that was marked as ‘solved’ on Sept.2. Yes I am aware Asobo has their very own definition of the word ‘solved’. I’ve put questions in the ‘Ask the Developer’ threads only to have them removed. It has been on the ‘known issues’ list from the beginning.

Thanks to the state of the world, and demand, 3rd party flight controls right now are difficult to get at prices that are not inflated.

I have supported Flight Simulator for over 30 years but I have never seen anything that approaches the state MSFS 2020 is in now. Not just the chronically broken Microsoft Controller but the fundamental inability to trust the simulator itself. And I’m not talking about ‘study level’ airplanes–whatever that means.

ASOBO is in over their heads right now. I’m sorry about that, I’ve been there myself and its not fun. I truly do hope they can get above water and deliver a flight sim worthy of the MS name. MSFS 2020 could be awesome. Until they do my copy sits on the shelf. If I want to see a pretty sunset I’ll go outside.

3 Likes