BS? CTD? General Aviation Aircraft with Mixed Avionics (GNS530+non-glass screen radios)

At times, I like to fly into/out of add-on airports known for either Black Screens (BS) or Crash to Desktop (CTD) behavior, many of which I have layed out good money for, sound familiar? As a flight planning tool, I have been keeping lists of aircraft by avionic types, and the “GNS530/mixed avionics” list that I have is as follows:

Bellanca Viking WT
C182RG II new WT
C337H new WT
C414AW new WT
DHC-2 Beaver
M20R new WT
MU-2
PA28 Turbo/Arrow WT
PA44 Seminole WT
PC-12
Twin Beech 18
V35B Bonanza

Some notes: Many of these I haven’t flown in a long time, so some information may be incomplete or outdated. “WT” stands for Working Title. Feel free to post updates!

When I buy a new airport or scenery add-on, I will sometimes fly it with one of these mixed configurations, so that I know I will be able to navigate through a BS (obviously CTDs end the fun but I try to see if one of these aircraft pose less of a challenge to the Series X before breaking the flight). With so many models accumulating, it can be tough to remember which ones are the go to aircraft for BS prone airports.

One caveat is that many of these require selecting the desired avionics package on an EFB or tablet, which may or may not load at a BS prone airport, so it may help to preconfigure at a safe airport first to see if that works when next loading in. In any case, hope this list helps someone out there navigate this BS prone period of time in MSFS. Let me know if you find this list useful or in need of additions/corrections.

Good Flying!