BSOD Since SU7 Beta Update

#pc

I am wondering if anyone else has been having this issue. MSFS is up to date, my Community folder has seven entries in it which are up to date and shown as compatible with SU7. Prior to the beta update (patch) I had not experienced any BSOD. The only other recent change/addition was purchasing the SWS Kodiak 100. The BSOD’s began sometime after December 2021. I’ve had about ten or so occur, during flights that last between 40 minutes to an hour and a half. Today, I was in the Kodiak (engine not running) just going through the G1000 nxi to become more familiar with the unit, about 20 minutes into that another BSOD. Most have occurred in the Kodiak, but also on two occasions the Cessna 172 (glass cockpit) and Cessna 208 Caravan. Some have occurred while using the iPhone head tracking App (Smooth Track) and some without using head tracking.

I run MSFS with moderate settings, high and medium no ultra. The sliders (LOD) are set at 80. Vsync is on frames set at 60. The OS is Windows 10 (all up to date). System is an i7 9700k overclocked to 4.9 GHz, 32 Gb RAM and a 2070 Super GPU. Running at 4K settings on a Samsung 55” gaming TV.

I just think it is odd that this began happening after the SU7 beta update/patch. I’ve searched many of the forums, but haven’t found anything like the issue I’m having. Even checked forum subjects all relating to the SWS Kodiak just in case others who have purchased it also we’re having the issue I am. Found nothing.

I am using Microsoft Store Version

BSOD’s seem rather rare compared to CTD’s.

Have you tried removing your CPU overclock as a test?

No I haven’t. Not sure how, it came that way from the builder. Question is, why now? Prior to last update (patch) for SU7 BETA, never had the problem.

I’ve had a considerable lift in performance since the beta.

First thing you should check is temps (however that means squat if your OC isnt 100% stable), if they are on the high side it could be fluffed fans and heatsinks or even poorly applied thermal paste or the cooler fixing has popped loose. BSODs are pretty much always hardware based, bad ram or depending on the age and quality of your mainboard it’s components e.g mosfets can deteriorate quite quickly if running a constant overclock and of course sometimes you can be just plumb unlucky even with a good brand.

What error code does the BSOD show?
Would also suspect OC first.
I can not tell you why this started in December,
but PCs also do not last forever. Dust may build up, increasing temperatures and the constant changing temperatures of components, will let the components deteriorate over time, etc.
To be clear, this is not a very fast process,
but if you use an OC that drives your CPU to its limits and running your CPU at high temperatures, could result in instability of the system after only one year, where the OC may have to be decreased or Voltages increased(if possibles) to regain stability.

In conclusion, if it was my PC, I would check the BSOD error code and see if google gives me an indication of what the likeliest cause is for it.
Then I would remove all OCs and monitor system temperatures, as these would be my likeliest culprits, as the BSOD does not occur immediately after starting to fly in MSFS.

2 Likes

It could also be your power supply is getting ready to fail. Im not saying go buy a new one and rip that old one out, but I have seen people with the same issues in other games, and a good portion of the time it was that the PS had failed…

question for me is : what is overclocked ? … it is a 3,6Ghz CPU with a boost of 4.9GHz… May be its a missunderstanding about OC from manufactor ?

In case there is realy some OC you need to revert it… BSODs come in most cases just from hardware, sometime from drivers… There are cases which may GPU driver related, ensure you have the latest version installed ( I have somewhat in mind about bluescreen - samsung ) … and also try to disable HAGS ( it cause nothing else as trouble )…

Other reasons like e.g. power-supply are already mentioned.

Check with the motherboard manufacturer for updates of the bios and drivers. Windows usually says that your drivers are up-to-date when they need updating. Recently I found the Windows Realtek sound driver was very old and needed replacement.