MSFS is breaking the VR golden rule: don't move the camera, the user is

Sorry but that’s not true, just because you don’t notice a problem doesn’t mean you can marginalise it to user error or susceptibility to motion sickness.

I don’t get any motion sickness at all and am an experienced VR user (from the very first CV1 pre-order!) but I still see the problem, it’s especially evident in yaw wagging when flying down low in turbulence.

The view movement should be damped with a percentage “horizon lock” equivalent to simulate how your neck, eyes and brain automatically compensate for unwanted movement in real life. Indeed a full horizon lock is not what you want, but rather a damped view to simulate your head’s own inertia and your body’s own stabilisation ability.

I think the term Horizon lock may be misleading here because it’s not really what you are trying to achieve at all, and indeed where it is most egregious is actually in yaw rather than roll/pitch. What you are actually trying to achieve is just a decoupling of camera movement to aircraft movement with an adjustable damping element. As it stands currently in MSFS your head is like a camera rigidly mounted to the back of the seat that can just pan/tilt around, not a camera mounted on a flexible spine with built in stabilisation elements.

Our heads and eyes, brain and vestibular system all combine in reality do a chicken-light version of the chicken in response to movement which stabilises the view:

In addition to that as mentioned your head is a rather heavy component on the end of a bendy stick and has quite a bit of inertia which adds a further lag/damping to external movement.

Most racing games (which is where I spend most of my VR playtime so is what I’m most familiar with) recognise this and provide user adjustable stabilisation/damping sliders to tweak to suit their own preferences.

3 Likes

I’m not marginalizing anyone. I’m just trying to find an explanation as to why not all users experiencing the problems described here :slight_smile:

Because you don’t know what to look for. Its not really subjective or a bug that only affects some people, its just a missing setting that needs to be added.

6 Likes

As long as this setting will be optional, it’s fine. Any kind of horizon locking will result in a cockpit that’s moving/tilting. Most users don’t want that.

1 Like

Yeah it’s the third highest requested fix but ok.

2 Likes

The effect of turbulence on the camera has been one of the biggest VR issues I have. I usually opt to fly in calm weather only because of it, but I hate missing out on so much of the experience.

I also think the best solution would be to have the camera stabilized against the outside world rather than rigidly locked to the airframe. As others have said, car racing games often manage this very well.

Sure, you’ll make a tradeoff with being able to interact with the cockpit in heavy turbulence, but I think a slider to adjust the balance between world/aircraft would be helpful.

I wonder how it would feel if the camera was biased towards cockpit stabilization when the mouse was active, but the world when the mouse was inactive.

3 Likes

Does this external shaking very with different aircraft?
I seem to have more shaking on the H135 and close to zero in the aermacchi :thinking:

Well, it might not be directly related to this topic, but sometimes when u shake your legs or something, the whole cockpit starts to move like there’s an earthquake, which shouldn’t happen I think. We need an OIS kinda thing, but done by software.

1 Like

The easiest way to induce the effect is to make your airplane invulnerable and unlimited fuel. Fly at/over Vne so you get flutter. Observe how the world moves around.

The effect is not limited to flutter so it’s incorrect to say that it will affect only marginal amount of people. The simulator engine simulates turbulence the same way as flutter and turbulence is present at any speed.

3 Likes

Has anyone looked into these lines in the FlightSimulator.cfg file to see if this affects anything?

[DynamicHeadMovement]
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000
MaxHeadAngle=5.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.300000
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000

I don’t have a ton of VR experience in other sims to know how they handle this, however I would say whether or not you are bothered by how this is implemented in MSFS is pretty subjective. I personally have no problems with it, and I think the way it is implemented now gives a sense of motion, as I would expect.

I get that for some this could be uncomfortable or sickness inducing, but I really hope that if Asobo changes this, that they add some kind of configuration for it so that people who are OK with it as-is have the option to leave it that way!

After careful consideration I have determined that this message may be in violation of the guidelines, so as a precautionary measure it has been removed.

msg 344861/54

4 Likes

Note that I said whether or not you are bothered by it is subjective. As I said, it doesn’t bother me, but I’m no expert. My main intent is to say that if they do change it I hope it is configurable.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the documentation around best practices. It is true that I may be an anomaly in that motion outside of user interaction really does not bother me in most cases.

My only real concern around potential changes here is that I don’t want the sim to feel more like it is on rails. I enjoy being able to “feel” turbulence, in fact there are often times when I wish it was even more pronounced. My concern is that if they change this it will be too smooth.

It may well be that there are better ways to impart the sense of motion around turbulence without inducing motion sickness in those susceptible, and I would certainly be open to that. But I think regardless it would be nice to have this be configurable in the same way I have seen “comfort” options be configurable in other VR titles.

After careful consideration I have determined that this message may be in violation of the guidelines, so as a precautionary measure it has been removed.

msg 344861/57

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t own XP11. I don’t really have any frame of reference beyond MSFS. I may not be the most qualified to offer up an opinion on this. I am very happy to defer to others who have that experience, provided that the end result feels real. :slight_smile:

The demo is free and you can fly 10 mins per session… :wink: (I don’t know if you got VR though in demo mode). Quick to download, run, try and compare, and then forge an opinion about VR, usefulness of VR controllers, flight models with default aircraft (don’t look at the graphics only of course, we know this is not the same generation of products)

3 Likes

Ahh, excellent! I will grab this over the weekend and give it a try. Thanks Captain!

1 Like

X-Plane is the perfect example of how the camera system should be handled in a sim. I love both X-plane and MSFS, but the sense of flight is much better in X-Plane 11. I’ve gone back to it several times after using MSFS and am in awe at the graphical improvements that MSFS has provided to us, however, the flight sensation and smoothness still go to X-Plane 11. I can only hope that MS/Asobo can give us the same in the near future. Right-On Captain.

5 Likes

Thank you for pushing this so tirelessly and eruditely CptLucky8. Much appreciated.

3 Likes