Cannot hear ATC instructions and other aircraft suddenly while AI copilot still responds

Well, I’ve just had this issue whilst flying an approach into KTTN with all comms going completely quiet.

It was therefore somewhat surprising when i was about to land, when an AI aircraft was on the runway beneath me. Local interference from my good lady wife meant that a go-around was out of the question, so i landed anyway.

It would have been really, really bad if I’d been a RL pilot or, even worse, if I’d been flying on Vatsim. :slight_smile:

Seriously though, this one really could do with fixing, as surprises like this really shouldn’t be happening.

3 Likes

Just cancelled yet another flight and shut down FS. :roll_eyes:

Crap ATC.PNG

2 Likes

Just started a flight in the PMDG 737… the issue happened immediately from the first communication with ATC. No pilot voice at all.

Other aircraft still communicating fine with ATC (both pilots and controllers) but no pilot voice for my aircraft.

Shame - it seems to go through ‘waves’ of being reliable before the problem comes back again - I haven’t had the issue for a couple of weeks, but now it’s returned.

Likewise, having had this issue for months, it seemed to improve a couple of months ago, but after a couple of weeks it was back with a vengeance.

I hope we’re not waiting much longer for a fix.

[EDIT: I quit back to Desktop to re-load the sim for my return flight home - exactly the same thing happened, with no pilot voice from departure gate to arrival gate]

4 Likes

I have been troubleshooting and have tried to force my ATC to become silent.
Here is an example of what is happening:

Other Aircraft/ATC

My Aircraft/ATC

Frequency: 119.9

CLEVELAND CENTER: Skywest 3727 Climb and maintain FL210.

SKYWEST 3737: Climb and maintain FL210, Skywest 3727

CLEVELAND CENTER Endeavor 4997 Contact Detriot Approach on 118.75. Good day.

ENDEAVOR 4997 (me): 118.75 for Endeavor 4997.

(Cleveland Center on same frequency (119.9)

CLEVELAND CENTER: Skywest 3727 you are 11 miles east. Maintain present heading and altitude expect RNAV Zulu runway 15 approach.

This is when ATC and other aircraft go silent

So-when switching frequencies, and another aircraft/ATC talks on the frequency you were previously on while switching, this happens.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if someone else has posted this workaround already.
If I am flying IFR with text to speech set to Azure and suddenly experience the " You You You" issue where all you see or hear is your copilot and no speech or text from ATC, I have found that if I pause my flight, go into settings and turn text to speech OFF I will begin to see the ATC calls and I will see my copilot answer but there is no audible speech of course because I just turned that off, however I can now see the text of the ATC again which helps a lot when doing ILS landings LOL. It is like I’m monitoring text chat between my copilot and ATC. Far from a fix but can help you land or finish out a long flight. Hope this helps and I hope Microasobosoft fixes this ASAP. It really breaks the emersion and reduces us back to Microsoft Flight Game rather than Simulator. It is a bit shocking this has not been resolved yet.

4 Likes

Just out of interest, as I’m not currently in a position to test this myself, having done this, have you tried re-enabling ‘text to speech’ again afterwards, to see if the audible voice returns?

I’ve never had this issue before SU10 but now im suffering the same BS

1 Like

That’s really weird. I’ve had this issue for months and months - last two flights I did before SU10, I had it literally from the moment I loaded the aircraft at the gate, yet since upgrading to SU10 I’ve not experienced it once!

It never came about - it’s now September 27th 2022.

It’s the opposite with me. I never had this problem until SU10 now it only works in offline modus. With azzure i only hear and read ATC for a few minutes and then only YOU YOU YOU…

This has been a bug since the beginning of time. I think it happens when your copilot tries to change frequencies and transmit, but another aircraft is already transmitting on that frequency. At that point until the end of the flight, it’s all one sided.

I’m not 100% sure if that’s what causes it… either way there isn’t much you can do about it but hope that they fix it.

Edit: If my hypothesis about the cause is correct, then it’s more likely to occur in busy airspaces.

1 Like

I have found that anytime ATC voices bump into each other, ATC and other aircraft response usually goes dead, and this is more likely to occur in busy airspace.

The only way I have had success with avoiding this bug is never to use AI with ATC, and only have one COM tuned to an active frequency. With a single active frequency, ATC is able to order what we hear, one after another, without worrying about another COM frequency trying to add its sound and text.

2 Likes

It does seem that voice clashes increase the likelihood of this happening - I’ve had it happen many times immediately following a ‘clash of voices’ between ATC and the Interactive Checklist, but voice clashes do not seem to be the only cause of this issue.

Thankfully, since SU10, I must say it seems more reliable on the whole, but the ATC conversation went one-sided on me again on a flight yesterday (no pilot responses from my aircraft) though that’s the only time I’ve experienced it since the update.

Annoyingly, I’ve now got the age old (though, thankfully, increasingly rare) issue of the AI Co-Pilot failing to automatically respond to ATC (despite the ‘AI Radio Communication (ATC)’ option being selected in the Flight Assistant menu) so I’m having to do it manually, which is annoying on a four-hour IFR flight :confounded:

1 Like

I have noticed the AI Radio Comms suddenly not responding to ATC also since SU10. Can’t say that I experienced that before.

Make sure that the AI ATC Communications is switched to ‘On’ in the Assistance Menu. Some settings have changed since SU10 :+1:

SU10 did not change it.

AI ATC Communications does not need to set to ‘On’ in the Assistance Options. It can be toggled in cockpit as required using the Flight Assistant toolbar menu option. The option in the Assistance settings just determines it’s state at the start of the flight, on or off.

It’s a random happening.

I have AI ATC turned off by default at the start of my flights. I toggle it on or off during flight according to my needs with the Flight Assistant toolbar menu option. This is how it has always worked.

Loss of AI Co-pilot responding to ATC occurs regardless of the option being set to on.

2 Likes

This is most definintely a bug @HamMan2118 - nothing to do with the AI ATC Communications being switched off (the principle of it being a bug is that AI ATC Communications doesn’t work despite AI ATC Communications being switched on in the Pilot Assistance Menu).

In fact, this is an age-old bug which, at its worst, used to occur about as often as the ‘one-sided ATC’ bug to which this thread relates.

The ‘AI ATC Communications’ bug was most prevalent around spring 2021, if my memory serves me correctly, before being largely fixed, though I do still occasionally experience it, as I explained in my previous post the other day.

The AI doesn’t automatically respond to ATC, so you have to do it manually for the duration of the flight - but, almost infuriatingly, as soon as you land and get handed to Ground ATC, the issue magically disappears and it then responds automatically to the subsequent taxi instructions, so something is triggering it pre-flight, and then fixing itself post-flight.

The one-sided ATC bug, on the other hand, seems to occur anytime, anywhere: pre-flight, during flight, even post-flight.

I have experienced both bugs to which this thread relates, once each so far since SU10.

So, both issues are certainly getting more reliable, but neither bug is completely fixed.

2 Likes

I knew posting the above was tempting fate.

I’m currently mid-flight (Birmingham/EGBB to Malaga/LEMG) and the ATC conversation has suddenly gone one-sided (pilot only) :persevere:

2 Likes

There has been little to no change in this issue. The ATC voice continues to disappear in the flight, leaving only the co-pilot to respond to instructions. Taken from this is they have done no work on this as yet.
It is time to vote this issue to the highest, its been there for months and months!

1 Like

This isn’t the only imperfection in the ATC system, and I may be guilty of a little over-optimism, but I’m hoping that the devs will fix them all in one go and we’ll get a brand new and perfect system in its place.

“over-optimism” might not quite do my post justice though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes