Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant trim wheel suddenly very insensitive (as of World Update 4)

Awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

Just chiming in in the hope this gets prioritised.

1 Like

Yes, thanks! Please prioritize. In the meantime, is there a similar set of steps to get the trim wheel to work with Spad.NeXt to what someone successfully got to work earlier in this thread through FSUIPC7?

2 Likes

Hey thank for that! FSUIPC really is a quite powerful program, I only wish it had more easy-to-use menu functions built in, instead of having to figure it out like this. I do love that it can be set as aircraft specific, as you said, which is helpful if the trim is too sensitive on same planes and not others. Thanks again :+1:

1 Like

Ditto on the trim issue with the Bravo. Moving it slowly seems to work better than giving it a whirl. Glad Microsoft has acknowledged the issue.

For those who suggested raising the issue on Zendesk, would more reports help get this prioritized? If yes, can someone post a link? Thanks.

I have the same problem but the Autopilot lights are now gone also since that update.

I have a partial, temporary solution for Bravo users regarding the slow elevator trim response. Coincidentally, I have elevator trim [electric] set to my Alpha hat switch, plus the Bravo trim wheel. After WU4, I am experiencing the same 1/10 trim speed that seems to have been a result of fixing the 10-degree heading bug / 1,000 foot altitude select issue.

So, here goesā€¦ On my Bravo Throttle Quadrant, I went to Controls/Bravo[insert your profile here]/Flight Control Systems/Control Trimming Surfacesā€“Elevator Trim Axis (-100 TO +100%). I bound this control to my far right (#6) control leverā€¦ the one normally used for #2 mixture on a twin-piston, or the flaps control on an airliner. I selected ā€˜Reverse Axisā€™. I then set Sensitivity to -25% (both) and Reactivity to 50%. Moving the lever forward is nose down, backward is nose up. I did try binding this command to the trim wheel for grins, and MFS would not let me do thisā€¦ hence the lever.

I fly a lot of X-Cub bush strip and gravel bar hopping, so with lots of takeoffs and immediate landings, this trim function works EXTREMELY well!! If you try this, adjust sensitivity and reactivity to your liking. This still gives me trim wheel and hat switch trim control. The ability to slow the cub, pull back full nose-up trim as airspeed bleeds quickly, then after landing, move the lever to a neutral position quickly to turn around and launch (watch that griz, Pilgrim!!) is fabulous! Good luck!

Fly low, Go Fast !!

4 Likes

Same problem.
Msfs needs to fix this , takes away the joy right now.

I agree completely. Older Cessnas only had mechanical trim wheels and the Bravo, before this last update, reacted pretty closely to the real airplane. Iā€™m sure Asobo will get it straightened out again. Even with the trim not working correctly, itā€™s still a lot better then when the sim was first released and a lot of these aircraft were unflyable.

Unsure if this is related to world update 4, but I noticed while I was investigating the change in sensitivity that the trim wheel trims up about twice as fast as trimming down. Can see button 23 flashing about twice as fast when rotating the wheel back compared to button 22 when rotating forward in the controls configuration menu. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I find some things, like flying patterns with the Grand Caravan are much more difficult now. Thereā€™s not enough time to trim out the plane, literally spinning it like a madman. Please fix.

In case no one wants to read through this entire post, it has been acknowledged and will be worked on.

3 Likes

So was this fixed with the Sim Update 4?

If it hasnā€™t been addressed in Sim Update 4, I have come up with a way using freeware vJoy and Joystick Gremlin to try to give the best of both worlds: Take advantage of the increased precision of the ā€œbugā€ when making small adjustments on the wheel but get back most of the 10x acceleration when trying to move quickly. Depending on how the address it, if they do, this work-around my not help or may not be needed. I kind of hope they donā€™t just make it so each button press is 10x. That makes it impossible to make small precision movements no matter what you try. Iā€™m hoping they come up with a way similar to what Iā€™ve done, which can go slow or faster, as needed.

The release notes ( [RELEASE] Patch Notes (1.16.2.0) Now Available! - Community / News and Announcements - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums ) say:

• Fixed the unresponsive specific axis on Honeycomb Bravo Throttle

Iā€™m curious to see what yā€™all see with this fix. I have a different digital trim wheel which also produces very little movement in the game and Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m relieved or disappointed that this fix appears to be only for Honeycomb. As I posted above, I have a work-around using freeware apps but before I work on making a video for that, Iā€™d like to know what you Honeycomb Bravo owners see after the update.

1 Like
  • Fixed the unresponsive specific axis on Honeycomb Bravo Throttle

Does that mean the honeycomb bravo trim wheel has been fixed? Can anyone confirmā€¦

Nope, worse if anything. I think that may be referring to the bug where the default mapping doesnā€™t work on some of the levers without deleting and remapping.

1 Like

It seems to work fine for me in Cessna 172 w/ steam gauge.

My procedure to test:

• launch of Cessna 172 Classic at KSFO
  • take off
  • after putting flaps away, use the trim wheel to dial in a modest climb around 500 ft/sec
  • level out with the trim wheel
  • fly around San Francisco a bit, using the wheel to bump around between -500 ft/sec and +500 ft/sec over the course of a few seconds after wheel movements of less than 90 degrees at a time

I guess the real question is: how sensitive are the real-world pitch trim wheels in a Cessna 172 or similar? I canā€™t really tell whether the behavior Iā€™m getting is reasonable or whether the real thing would be several times faster; all I know is I can fly comfortably with it so far. :smiley:

Should 90 degree rotation cause the Cessna to gently pitch up over 3-4 seconds to a solid climb? Or should it cause a fast pitch upwards that would reach 500 ft/sec in less than a second? Or something else?

I havenā€™t received the update yet, but the trim on my logitech multi panel also didnā€™t appear to work.

@VisitingNutria4 Thanks for the info. It took some looking but I think I finally confirmed that the multi panel trim wheel is also a digital trim wheel, like the Honeycomb Bravo and my DA 2890. As you likely know the advantage of a digital trim wheel (mapped to nose up and nose down buttons) over an analog one (mapped as the trim axis) is that it wonā€™t get out of synch with the autopilot and potentially cause a big change in elevator trim when going back to manual trim after using the autopilot.

But, was you also know, the digital trim wheels can have trouble producing enough button pulses to make the trim wheel in the game move at more than a crawl. It will be interesting to see if you see better results (i.e. see the trim wheel in the game moving) after the update. I am installing the update now and will see if my DA 2890 digital trim wheel is working better or still needs a work-around.

Can you go to the thread linked below and run the test on your multi panel trim wheel and report the results there? If we can get enough data on the maximum speed of button pulses on the different makes of digital trim wheels, we can try to come up with fixes for all, if necessary. Thanks!