"Legacy" mode when interacting with cockpit instruments/switches got nerfed

C172 g1000 works just fine! no trim wheel issues or fuel selector issues… so just the classic one which I prefer is broken… guess I wont be practicing tonight.

I would be satisfied with the legacy mode if it was to go back to what it was pre SU5. This is really my biggest gripe right now. The large font type and lack of percentages… I really needed them and I hope they will bring them back soon. That or hopeful a modder will fix this up for us wanting this particular functionality back. The locked mode is too busy and meant for console players which I totally understand. However, we didn’t need what we’ve had for the last year stripped away either.

10 Likes

Switched cockpit controls to legacy in the accessibility menu. Now i can use the virtual cockpit again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem is legacy mode isn’t what it was pre SU5, it used to be a small text that said the name of the switch and its position. Now its a huge box that just says the name and has a massive arrow pointing to it if its near the edge of your screen…

10 Likes

I love the sim and I love Asobo and have been tolerant of their little slips here and there with updates, afterall this is a long haul project.

What I can’t understand is why the hell, after fixing the performance issues and finally getting the sim running properly, they go and ruin the user interface, which was actually amazing!

What’s with this Xbox obsession? If it’s money then fine, I understand. But please, for us genuine simmers, in my case since 97, please leave things that worked, working. We don’t need dumbing down. Why on earth would one set up a rocking rig to run this only to have to deal with interfaces designed for a console?

At least give us the option to use the more complex interface. Some of us actually know what we’re doing on the flight deck and do not need this kindergarten style stuff. Please, if you guys are targeting a wider audience that’s really awesome, really. We need more fresh blood in this hobby. But please, at least give us the option to do things normally that make sense and that are intuitive.

Thank you. Hope I haven’t been too harsh. But I genuinely am upset this time. Even breaking the flaps didn’t upset me as it was just a matter of fixing the cfg values. But come on. It took me 15 minutes to figure out what on earth was going on in the first place.

33 Likes

Agreed and honestly they can do the best of both worlds by having the new UI for Xbox players but keeping the old UI as the legacy setting. Problem would then be solved and is likely an easy thing to put back as the code is obviously done for that already. This new cockpit interface is very busy and provides minimal details on legacy.

Performance wise the update is great, however QoL for PC took a performance hit on the interface.

3 Likes

Well, we DO have the Legacy mode, which is great. All they really need to do is fix the tooltips. I am pretty set in my ways and have controls pretty much identical between three main sims. I am still able to use the Legacy mode in MSFS, which is GREAT. In my opinion, it works great and should have really been the default for PC users. I immediately disabled this “Locked” mode as I have zero intention of learning how to use it because the traditional way is just fine.

10 Likes

But “legacy mode” isn’t the same as the old tooltips, its more intrusive and it lacks the position information they used to have

7 Likes

I want the old cockpit info back. This is sad tbh

8 Likes

Right. That’s what I said - they need to bring the old tooltips back. Other than that, I am happy.

4 Likes

I turned on legacy to get ‘rid’ of those blue hues. Now I have little blue arrows haunting me… I REALLY don’t enjoy how DIFFICULT it seems to make it function or just GO AWAY!!!

5 Likes

Thanks, Im looking and I cant find it!. Cockpit interaction!

You’re not missing out on HOTAS - all of the mainstream devices seemingly were broken by this update, both my Honeycomb yoke and Thrustmaster throttles no longer work correctly in the slightest.

2 Likes

I don’t want a console UI there. You know it looks like an arcade game for casual console gamers. There is shiny colored buttons everywhere in cockpit with Lock mode and I just want the good old realistic “one cursor to rule them all” feature. Legacy mode has many bugs.

13 Likes

I could not get my head around the new locked mode in the very early hours of this morning so went back to legacy and agree about the plague of blue arrows. I assume they point to areas of interest that you can set (I found that setting) but I couldn’t see how to turn off completely without losing cockpit labels maybe.
Again regarding the labels, I now seem to have them all over the MCDU which I don’t think I had before and I agree with others comments about the new look labels.
On the subject of performance to the eye my jury is still out for the same settings I had before. I am talking VR here though with the Quest 2. Although in VR I now have lower res looking instruments with shimmer in the default A320.

1 Like

I am having the exact issue, not too keen on on not knowing where my percentages sit with the mouse in legacy mode.

3 Likes

Hi

So I have these annoying blue boxes when I try and turn or press any button. I then find it under some accessory menu, so turn it back to Legacy, but Now I can’t hide my Yoke, I can’t turn my IRS on in the 747, what has happened?

Voted! Instead of adding stuff/options like that they should add more realism as to unlock updraft/downdraft/convective winds limitation, at my place it’s full of CB in real as it shows in the game and it feels like flying on the rails like back in the days FS2002 …
After this sim update still no danger in our skies, what the h… ?!

Also can’t get rid of the white arrow toolbar by the way, never happened on my side.

4 Likes

Actually, I managed to fix my issues with this lock mode!

1. General Options → Accessibility → Cockpit interaction system → Legacy.
  2. General Options → Developers → Turn On.
  3. Klick on “SDK Updates” in the top right corner → download the latest update → shut down Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 → install the software → start Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 again.
  4. Problem fixed!
2 Likes

About to try VV’s approach, but for me the thing is ridiculous, in the TBM running the legacy mode locks the throttle into shut off mode, so the plane is unflyable. I’ll never understand why developers don’t think to add the ability to have a previous functioning system as an option, even just to see if the new idea “takes” I mean if an idea is great then the vast majority will take it up anyway, but if it stinks at least you get to continue as before. Also the new lock mode should be permanently selectable as on or off, not a default setting, having to keep changing it to legacy is a nuisance.