[BUG LOGGED] Mountains/coastlines constantly morphing since the USA/UK/Nordics World Updates

Thank you.

1 Like

My reaction wasn’t really any better :wink:

And to participate a bit productive. I have seen these “morphing” one time, but just at at such a reported peak. Now as we split the topics and I seen this onetime, I can give a vote :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well I have seen both - like many ppl here - and I think they are 2 sides of ‘the same coin’ as in terrain mesh vs LOD problems. I reckon if they fix one it will fix both symptoms, and also that after that update they tried to get a bit more out of the terrain info than it was capable of giving while remaining stable. I expect them to lower the mesh resolution again just slightly.

Looks like Liverpool is having Volcanic activity the same as Teesside! The North of England must be on a fault line. On a serious note it completely spoils the emersion. I haven’t even played it since the spikes appeared. The sim never looked better than the release day, after that one thing after another!.

Just wondering if this issue is being discussed along with the other big scenery problems like coastline glitch and terrain spikes. I haven’t played at all since the USA update introduced all of these issues. It murdered the immersion for me, so I have been patiently sitting on the sidelines and watching from a distance. As I see info trickle in about the upcoming update #3, I’m seeing very little about these big scenery issues. Its becoming a little concerning once again. I really hope they fix this stuff. At the very least, provide an option to revert back to prior builds. If I could have the England update with no fixes of these issues OR no England update and just fixes for all the problems introduced with the USA update, I would certainly take number 2.

I did ask a couple of times in the chat during the Q/A about morphing mountains, but the question was ignored, (as was my question about office blocks in the UK countryside!).

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Here’s hoping that radio silence doesn’t necessarily mean that it won’t get fixed asap. Cheers

1 Like

I first saw this “effect” while flying over Grand Canyon, where the extension of this problem is severe. I thought that it is because of the complexity of the canyon, but later, I found out, that almost every mountain range does that. And I dont even need to fly that low. It is really distracting - issue upvoted and I hope that Asobo will fix it.

2 Likes

Thank you - I tried to get it into the chat in the recent Q/A session but it was moving so fast I don’t think they even saw it. They didn’t mention it, the worrying thing is I don’t even think that they think it is a problem. The thing is, it wasn’t doing it when the sim was first launched, that’s what is so annoying! Anyway thanks for keeping the post alive.

Hmm, that is quite sad that they did not mention it, cause I would say it must be quite obvious to everyone, that something is wrong when you fly closer to the ground.
The only thing I noticed is that in some areas, this problem is non-existent or almost invisible. For example - I tried to fly over Lake district in UK and later over Scottish Highlands and the mountains there are fine most of the time. I would say that it has something to do with the complexity of the hills/mountains - in UK, mountains are more rounded and therefore, they have less elevation data to load and process (my guess). On the other hand, moutains in several areas in US (where this problem is severe on my side) are more complex. So maybe the dev team and other players fly over areas that has fewer elevation data and that is why they dont recognise this as an issue.
I just hope that somewhere in the future, this thing will get fied, because nowadays, I try to avoid flying over these more complex areas, which is a shame, since most of them are really beautiful.

1 Like

Hi. I just made a similar post today(2/6/21) and was pointed to your post. It’s happened before, but today really bad. Not sure if it’s a bug or something I’m setting wrong. I’ll try and take some sequential screen caps.
Flew today over Canyonlands and Zion, Utah. Mountains and cliffs constantly morphing , growing , changing. I first thought it was the same of LOD as things in distance “fill in”, but in this case the terrain in question are close, right in front of me.
I’m on I9 10850k
RTX3080
32 GB 3200 ram
1TB firecuda ssd for fs2020
Running smooth in 4K and in index VR
Nvidia 457.30 driver
Most settings on ULTRA.
TAA 100
LOD tried from 100 to 200.
Same issue. Totally destroys immersion.
As if I was flying while on LSD .
Love any input .
Thank you

1 Like

voted… and when you try to not seein’ it and sit in the cockpit, you can even notice on the GTC…

This has been happening in flight sims since the dawn of time. I wouldn’t hold your breath about it ever being fixed.

I know, I started with FS95, but it wasn’t that noticeable in 95-98 :face_with_monocle: :crazy_face:
still hope dies last. May they can figure it out s/thing

Interesting how this wasn’t an issue before. Worth repeating this all got worse with the US update. They must know why and how to fix it. They’ve been mostly silent when it comes to LOD related issues and one has to wonder why exactly.

1 Like

One major thing, this issue did NOT occur prior to the USA update.

Agreed, or if it did, it was nowhere near as noticeable.

I wouldn’t call this “fireworks” normal either, it’s above the Alps, but the same issue can be noted anywhere else

2 Likes

That is absolutely what I’m talking about - same area too. Looks awful, so distracting. Was not as bad before the USA update I’m certain.

2 Likes

Sorry but as far as I can remember this has been happening since the sim was released, it’s obviously caused by the graphics only updating a certain distance away. It probably became more noticeable to our US friends when their update introduced a better mesh, folk started posting and so the snowball rolls down the (ever-changing!) hill.

Of course it can be improved, simply by increasing the distance updated - but there would probably be a huge increase in resources required and we’d see far more stuttering etc. For the moment I’d guess that Asobo are reluctant to do anything serious about it until the sim is more stable and they’ve introduced better programme optimisation. They might even have wound it back a bit to help with the viewing problems, mine certainly runs a lot smoother of late.

Plus it would need much higher spec machinery - remember it was admitted at the outset that there are few machines currently available to the majority of its customer base capable of running the sim flat out at it’s highest settings. MS freely said they’d be around for at least 10 years and they’d be improving all the time. Fortunately it looks like the equipment manufacturers are starting to up their game in the usual consumer-led fashion.

And PLEASE don’t refer it back to previous MS flight sims - 2020 is a whole new and completely different animal, still in the experimental stages. But it’ll get better, as did those previous iterations.

1 Like