[BUG LOGGED] No wind gusts for Live Weather, broken for both PC and Xbox

If @sydicek approves maybe include the test he did in the first post you did in this topic too. I think it’s good to have there too under the custom weather settings with an edit for live weather?

Landing challenge Sedona with gusts 2020 at release. This is how it was in live-weather too at release until su3.

Look at both his landings and you see how unpredicted the flying is on the approach with gusts, the second landing it was less gusts on the runway that made the landing smoother. Two landings are never the same with gusts on.

Look how the airspeed indicator fluctuating up and down (wind speed fluctuate “gusts”). Makes it much harder to land.

Landing challenge Sedona without gusts as it is now in live-weather too.

Look how steady the airspeed indicator is (windspeed not fluctuate “no gusts”). Makes it much easier and predicted to land.

Totally different experience when the gusts are gone, hope that you can see the difference between those clips now. For me it’s not a challenge to land anymore.

Try the sedona challenge your self and then compare with the video from 2020 if you can’t feel the problem. Then look up a gusty place in Meteoblue or whatever you use to inject the gusts. You will never get that experience now over the runway i’m sure of it. I’ve tried many places in live-weather with metar or meteoblue.

This is a real landing at sedona in gusts not in a cessna 152 though

You see how close this landing looks to the first one in 2020 clip. I think gusts makes it much more realistic and challenging to land.

3 Likes

That’s a great example!! Solid!

Thank you.

2 Likes

Wonderful example perrry.
As you said, things to notice - fluctuating airspeed, and yawing of the plane when the gusts come. Exactly what happens IRL which makes landings and takeoffs very challenging. Somethings that’s painfully missing right now in the sim.
I remember how frustrating it was landing with the A320 in severe gusty weather, I had to go around constantly because it was really hard to get a stable approach with the winds constantly pushing you around unpredictably.
That’s exactly what we want, because that’s exactly what flying in that weather is like.

5 Likes

I have a PPL license and often fly the Cessna 172 in real life. Since the windgusts have been lost (since Simupdate 4), the plane feels like it is on rails. The approach without windgusts is far too stable and not comparable to most approaches in real life. When the gusts worked like in the past, the approach was more unpredictable and far more realistic. I hope Asobo brings the windgusts back to us with the next Simupdate 6🙏

8 Likes

I was flying with the C172 today after a long time of flying with the A32NX only… and I have to say that even with the missing gusts (the winds were still quite strong, straight down the runway at 16 knots) it was often quite challenging… mechanical turbulence, wind direction variations and downdrafts at the edge of the runway made for a great time of practicing go arounds… plenty of floating in the strong winds.
The adverse yaw has been nicely fine-tuned as well, that’s great to see.
All I want to say is that after the bugs will be ironed out, new weather system added… I think lots of folks will say goodbye to P3D, X-Plane etc.
This sim si truly the way to go, even with its quirks at the moment. But hey, we’re still only a year in.
Just imagine what the sim will be like in around 5 years.

2 Likes

Yes i think the gusts will making the experience complete. Because when they dissapeard much of the experience was removed. Now it’s only those predicted mechanical turbulences there.

1 Like

Zendesk ticket: #128195

Hi @moderators I just want to know what you or the devs think about a report like this. Is this type of report of the problem enough? It’s hard to know when we not getting any feedback when they ask in the q&a about more reports. I think we had done an amazing job at reporting about it before the q&a in this topic. It takes much energy and time to make those and then it’s not fun to hear they not see the problem in live weather.

This is a proof gusts not working in live-weather. Made it around 10-minutes ago taken from the meteoblue weather.

Look at the wind gusts at the dotted vertical line at around 21:00. thats the current time. The wind should fluctuate between 50 and 80kts. It was constant at around 75kts. We want gusts back in live-weather too.

Hope this helps to reproduce the problem or tell meteoblue send the correct data you inject in the sim. Everything except gusts are injected correctly. And we know that we shouldn’t be able to fly in those conditions we should avoid it at all cost or turn on assists and turn off damages to the aircraft if we want to look and enjoy the view of it. We want to experience the challenge to land in unpredicted windspeeds both in custom weather and live-weather.

5 Likes

Some very challenging conditions at Innsbruck according to METAR:

LOWI 030920Z VRB07G23KT 9999 FEW055 20/08 Q1014 WS ALL RWY BECMG TL1000 12015G30KT

Just imagine landing at an airport with winds gusting up to 23 knots but from variable directions.
Windshear is reported as well on both runways.

Too bad the sim can’t reproduce that at the moment. I’m betting it would be one go around after another.

4 Likes

Oooof. Now THAT’S a landing challenge!!

2 Likes

going to try it now
but on the world map, winds are reported at 4kts (ATC told me 128@22)

Ingame, they are at 13kt on the runway, lower to 8kts when you are at 500’ AGL up to about 3000’ ,than stable to 10-11kts to 10 000’

you have some bumps because of the mountains, but nothing really strong overall…

Did some approaches with the CJ4 on both sides, and nothing really worth mentioning…

At least, if the winds could be the same as the ATC tells you…

2 Likes

Yeah, I was expecting that unfortunately. The conditions even worsened now with winds variable at 13 knots gusting to 32 knots.

1 Like

world map now gives 180@1kt…
but ingame we have 150@20 on ground, but still lowers progressively to 6kts at 3000’

1 Like

Zendesk ticket: #128195

Gibraltar Strong Wind Landing Challenge with gusts from april this year before su4. Think it is SU3. Look at the fluctuate in the airspeed indicator this is how it should be in live-weather too. Now it’s not. I think those strong wind challenges is good to compare with because they should always be the same if somethings not wrong. Could be improved though but not less realistic in a flight sim.

At release even more gusty i think

How it is now after su4. in live weather or custom weather. Does not look that strong of winds in my opinion. It’s like landing in 0kts of wind. It was easy to get 1,4 mil score though. I should be more happy with 200k with much more gusts. Now it’s not a challenge.

My approach was a bit steep though :rofl:

4 Likes

Now THAT’S what I call a challenge!
I think most of us have gotten lazy over those several months with gusts missing. When they’ll be back, it will be like a slap to the face.
Now imagine those winds changing directions, shifting… one minute they’re down the runway and the other one blowing in your back… exactly like at LOWI today.
Maybe they really nerfed them like they did with up/downdrafts because people were complaining? I don’t know anymore.

Nice one perrry… I just wish I’ve kept more of my older videos as well. I was running the sim on my old PC though, so I don’t know if there was anything to see with my 10 FPS gameplay lol. Maybe that’s why I tossed them in the thrash.

4 Likes

I wish i could have the older version of the sim :slight_smile: I borrowed from other youtubers though hope they also want the gusts back. It’s many clips of the challenges there with gust if you want to feel nostaglic vibes of gusts like me :rofl: Many IRL clips too with gusts where they need to goaround because of them.

I hope they can manage to have options to turn it off for those who complain. I think many more complains now that the turbulence are gone missing. It’s many threads that leads to this issue.

For me it felt like a sim at release with some stutters and now it feels like a casual game without story and stutters. I hope they can fix it and return to a sim again where it belong.

Not everyone knows it’s the gusts that are missing. Even Seb don’t know about it. I hope he does now though.

3 Likes

Would be cool to be able to fight the winds like this pilot. It was real close at the release of this sim i can tell you. Please fix it for us in live-weather too. He’s flying over water with gusts too. Should not always be calm there. If gusts are reported they should be there as simple as that.

5 Likes

I have learnt since the gusts got broken and i noticed something was missing that wind and gusts are the same thing. I think many needs to be aware of that and that gusts/wind speed are almost impossible to simulate because then they need to simulate the whole worlds weather system/ground objects in the sim in real time. In that case i think they need to make a weather simulator instead with flight simulator besides that that runs in that simulator that are running on a separate computer because no one can run a simulator like that in a private computer. Maybe you can improve the simulation of wind to go lower that creates friction and creates those gusts naturally around buildings locally but then we will never get the windspeed accurate as it is IRL i would think because thats how it is now in the sim without gusts injected. The wind would fluctuate to much or to less. That thing we not have now or had at release either so we want to have the gusts feature back in the meantime you work on a better simulation. METAR gusts are the most close to reality we have for now.

I think meteoblue simulate/forecasts the weather in a good way and that is the way to go for now because in that system we get gusts even if we not see them reported in METAR as it should be IRL. As soon as METAR has no gusts reported meteoblue should kick in. The wind speed fluctuate more or less all the time near ground. METAR should always be prioritized to be injected though because thats the gusts that happening right now and that is more realistic. The wind should never be totally constant though that makes the plane feel like they are on rails. That would make this sim step back to how fsx is. Why have all of those thousands points on the aircraft that the wind interacts with if the wind is constant all the time?

Bring back/fix the gusts in live weather please they should exists more or less everywhere we fly. It should be more calm the higher AGL we are though. Make the gusts in layers as the clouds is injected. The clouds are not simulated either they are injected and put in layers that works properly as it is now what i can see. Not always perfect accurate but they are there and thats fine with me for now. You can improve on it if you want to.

Gusts are not injected at all right now in live weather either only the windspeed is and that should fluctuate too. As i wrote above wind&gusts are the same thing. Gusts=highest windspeed of the measured avarage windspeed. Wind=The measuerd avarage windspeed

In this video i took a real calm place on the weathermap on meteoblue (as you mention you take the data from) and it shows gusts there too and on the weather map it shows wind gusts everywhere more or less.You can see that the gusts get lower on the graph at night and that would make it more realistic aswell because the wind get calmer at night but never stops fluctuate, have you ever seen a tree sway in a constant motion? If someone complains gusts are everywhere just say it’s realistic and this is a simulator not a game and if you want to, show them this post to make them learn how wind works instead of complaining. As i did when i noticed something was missing from the sim. I’m not a real pilot, i’m still want this to be as realistic as possible.

If you planning to increase the realism of local thunderstorms & such things in the sim in the future you can introduce squalls too Squall - Wikipedia. I think you could simulate that properly right now if you make the clouds effect the wind more.

You made a fantastic job to include this feature at the release and we want this feature back in live-weather and custom-weather to make the winds unpredicted as it is in IRL while landing&takeoff again. Then you can improve on it if you want to.

3 Likes

The wind should fluctuate between those windspeeds in live-weather. Now it does not. Hope it will be fixed in SU6

It should never be this constant windspeed not even on open ocean. It should be less gusty that doesn’t mean it should be complete calm. It’s very unrealistic. Do you truly think it’s working properly when the cessna 172 flying like this in those conditions and the wind is sustained at 63kts like that with those clouds around? Inject the wind as i showed you in the picture above in a layer under 5000ft agl or under the first cloud layer and then transissions to more calm above the clouds it should never stop fluctuate though and it makes it more realistic to fly in this sim.

2 Likes

Guys!!!

Weather

-Activated gust tweaking in custom weather settings
-Ambient pressure is now smoothly calculated across the entire air column
-Improved ATIS Cloud layer reporting

1 Like