[BUG LOGGED] No wind gusts for Live Weather, broken for both PC and Xbox

Yeah… what’s up with that??? Strange that it’s just ignored… totally ignored.

4 Likes

Wasn’t properly modeled (like gust has a magnet haha) , imo, but that was better than nothing.

5 Likes

Yes, they have not shown us anything better yet so i’m totally fine with what we had at release. I’m not fine with that it’s broken now though. Want it fixed or an explanation of why it’s not working anymore. I think that explanation is as important as those graphics issues they are fast to inform about.

2 Likes

Windows 10 version:

20H2

Windows 10 OS Build:

Microsoft Flight Simulator Build version:

Is dev mode activated?:

No, dev mode wasn’t activated

Aircraft model:

All aircrafts

Have you installed files in the "Community" folder?:

No

Content inside the Community Folder:

Repro Rate:

Every time (100%)

Steps to reproduce:

Go into custom weather, add wind-layer then press the added windlayer and then change wind to 2kts and then gusts to 150kts and then look how nothing happens to the wind graph below. You can even see that nothing happens to the aircraft when you fly in 150 kts wind gusts. Windgusts of 150kts would make the plane unflyable but i can fly without issue.

Zendesk report tickets:

#114323 (July 31 2021) status: open and #125377 (September 15 2021 same as the first one with updated MSFS build) status: open

Video demonstrating the issue:

Please let us know if it’s any more information you need to get this issue fixed? I can’t think of anymore ways to explain this issue. It’s videos and pictures in this topic that shows the problem more than well in my opinion.

4 Likes

some more gusty landings, hope they nail it accurate soon :slight_smile:

Or this

2 Likes

Really MS/Asobo, surprise us with a hotfix for such a long standing bug.
This is the only feature that we have that resembles somewhat the real-life “stick 'n rudder” skills and makes hand-flying worthy.

5 Likes

Don’t expect this in a quick hotfix. For turbulence to feel somewhat real the weather model needs revisiting and that is what I hear Asobo is currently working on.

Modeling complex wind systems, its interaction with obstacles/mountains and thermal activity is not easy even in real weather models let alone in a sim which has to also run various other processes in always limited PC/Xbox infrastructure.

But as eg Condor had proven, they could do a much better job than they currently do.

This is a landing i made for about 10min ago at CZPC METAR 27021G33KT. I think it should have been abit more rough than that in those conditions. The graphics are good though but thats not everything in a flightsim.

4 Likes

Absolutely for 21G33 this looks waaaayyyy too stable as stated many times before.

Maybe for the sake of comparison. Can you record a sim approach mimicking the real life videos you pasted above.

Again I would expect an overly stable approach in comparison with the real life vids and the same wind conditions.

I agree the wind gusts weren’t anything exquisite, but at least they were there.
And if Asobo is working on better gusts, they should’ve left the old ones there AND COMMUNICATE it with us.
This doesn’t look like they are working at something new, it looks like it’s really a bug they refuse to accept.

3 Likes

Yes, well aware and been part of the discussions about the weather and turbulences for some time now.
The main takeaway for me is that:

• It is a regression compared to pre-SU4
  • We had zero communication about it ever since, nor whether it’s by design or a bug
  • We had zero communication about what will be the future improvements they might do in this regard.
  • You don’t break a feature before introducing a new one, a minimal backwards compatibility is a must. Especially in such a core fundemental weather feature.

So, unless something will addresses those topics, we will keep asking… and hoping that the Q&A will address that too.

5 Likes

It’s hard to do because we can’t customize gusts in custom weather you know. They tell us in the video wind 16kts gusts 24kts.

Yes and it wasn’t even close to realistic from day one. I still remember testing flying close to mountains over a year ago experiencing very very little turbulence in comparison what I would expect IRL.

As Asobo has acknowledged that they have tuned down the turbulence model.

1 Like

I know. But you could at least set the average wind speed and observe the turbulence created by the various obstacles (eg trees next to the approach path in the IRL videos) or better the lack of turbulence. :wink:

1 Like

I will try. I think it will be more bumpy over the hills as we know, When coming down for landing it’s not making any difference where we are in the sim besides custom wind are bugged also. At groundlevel it makes the wind 50% of the value we input.

1 Like

Yes it will nicely once again prove the point especially for people who have not experienced real flight and can see how much effect a wind of 16kts has on a real aircraft (in the videos) vs almost no effect in the sim.

1 Like

Totally agree, it was far from being realistic and became much worse now. We are left with little to no challenges compared to RL. That goes even to icing - never made an aircraft stall from icing ,no matter how bad I’ve tried to set the weather and speed up the sim for it to pick up ice. No damage modelling to aircraft systems, engine is never stressed, no carb icing.
You can only overstress with crazy G, or stupid crash into an object/terrain. Other than that, pretty much “set & forget”, even without autopilot… nothing bad isn’t going to happen.
My only reasons to fireup the sim was flying on vatsim to keep at least the procedures in shape. But sadly with the recent updates got enough random CTD’s to chill my will to fly.

1 Like

Pocono mountain 16kts wind 24kts gusts. Not exactly the approach he made. This is setup in custom weather.

4 Likes

Very cool. Like expected. Day and night between the IRL video and the sim, which pretty much flies as if on rails. Not even close to realistic.

4 Likes

It seems to me that many people on the forum and in developement do not have a realistic idea how wind, gusty or otherwise, acts on an an airframe. The effects of wind and turbulence result in very different effects on an aeroplane whether it is on the ground, close to the ground or at a “flying hight”…Just ask a glider pilot.
When an aircraft is airborne it is flying in a moving column of air and this varies its speed and direction relative to a point on the ground …not a place in the air. A pilot varies the aircraft heading to maintain a desired track over the ground and its speed over the ground (groundspeed) changes according to wind speed and direction.Turbulent air does affect an airframe to a degree and varies according to the conditions that caused it. The most common causes are thermals (columns of turbulent air) which affect an en-route aircraft in a transitory manner and ground affect turbulence which is quite different. Ground effect turbulence happens as wind is stirred up as it flows over rising and falling groud. Obviously the stronger the wind and the more variable the topography the stronger the turbulence and it reduces with hight. GA pilots are usually not masochists and fly higher where the air is smoother to further their occupants comfort and minimise stress on the aeroplane.The effects on different aircraft (gliders, light aircraft, heavy aircraft) are infinitely variable as is the atmosphere. I am not sure whether a computer program can realistically reflect wind and turbulence effects, but this I do know. In my real world flying days high winds and rough air could be, and have been deadly, for others thankfully. I was trained to assess the conditions and judge when the conditions were flyable or whether it was wiser to stay on the ground. Flying is not a game, a reckless decision can kill you. I fly a computer now and I fly a Sim for fun, so personally, I make sure the weather conditions are good on the Sim too.
Anecdotes :-
“There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots. There are not many old, bold pilots”
" In a contest between an aeroplane and the ground…the ground has never come second "
by an Old Pilot

5 Likes