[BUG LOGGED] Performance Decrease when Using Pop-Out Panels

Think this issue has always been there šŸ¤·šŸ» Iā€™ve tried running the ATC window on my separate screen and the same issue as you describe. My 2nd monitor is for stuff like Little Nav Map and Navigraph.

Maybe pop out windows are scheduled as ā€œbackground processesā€ compared to main FS window, causing them to slow the rendering process? That would explain it getting better when maximizing. Anyway itā€™s quite substantial (its not only the reported FPS, its the actual FPS).

Does anyone NOT get this issue? And in that case which settings are you running?

1 Like

I am trying to do but about to give up to be honest. Tried the demo but cannot get the display to extend to my ipad. have tried it with wired xdisplay (that works but canā€™t get sky elite on there. Followed the instructions used safari using http://myipadress:7667 which is supposed to work but surely does not! In fact, I donā€™t even have an option to buy it! Tried registering an account to 4flightsims which doesnā€™t even work. Entered a username, display name, email, set a password, did the bot testā€¦keeps telling me my username and password are incorrect. Shame, its seems like a good cost-effective way to have PFD/MFD external to the sim itself. Especially now since the last update because I really donā€™t like the new interface for the cockpit controls.

All in all, placing this in the too hard basket. Donā€™t really understand how other people have hassle free time with itā€¦maybe its just me?

same problem with hotfix 1.18.15.0ā€¦

Hats off to the performance improvements that came with SU5.

But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, can you fix the performance hit we take when undocking instruments?

This is simple enough to test and universal. Get into a flight. Undock the ATC window to move it to another screen. Itā€™s an instant performance drop. For me, itā€™s 15 fps, which negates the SU5 performance increase and puts me back right where I was with SU4.

This is an important feature for home cockpit users. Being able to undock PFD and MFD screens and other displays is critical to being able to use our cockpits.

You repeatedly claimed this is a ā€œsim for simmersā€. Then please throw us simmers a bone here and show us you mean it.

4 Likes

Oh yes, this is something I hate tooā€¦
I often have read that they hope that this issue belongs to the past after multi monitor support is realizedā€¦

Thing is, this isnā€™t a multi-monitor thing. You donā€™t need to have multiple monitors to pop out windows. Why provide the functionality of undocking instruments if it just murders performance? Does absolutely no one at Asobo ever test this?

3 Likes

I agree with youā€¦

Been dying for this to be resolved since launch. I keep hoping that since they launched the Xbox version finally that stuff like this will get attention now going forward.

Crazy part I just realized from someone in this thread is that if you pop out instruments, move that grouped single window to another monitor , hit alt+enter to max it - the frame rate hit fixes itself and it runs normally.
The problem with that is youā€™re stuck with the default arrangement of the instruments within the parent window which is a waste of space and when flying airliners is unusable once popping out 4 displays and you want to have some instruments resized
So the capability to pop out and run full frame rates is possible , but they need to address why it only works under that specific condition

1 Like

Doesnā€™t work for me.

1 Like

Alt enter doesnā€™t maximize it?
Or no frame difference?
I am running the sim on 3 monitors and the instruments on a fourth

There are two bugs with the popout frame rate. One just drops the frame rate by about 20% whenever a popout window is out (this canā€™t be fixed with the alt+enter trick) and the other is that the sim gets stuck on 10fps (which can be fixed)

If you are getting the 10fps bug click on the popout window and press alt+enter (sometimes you need to do it more than once) and the frame rate should return to normal.

1 Like

Tried this last night and had no difference. Still running at the same -15fps as if theyā€™re all undocked to separate windows on other screens. It works in the sense it maximized the screen to another monitor, but the performance loss is the same regardless.

I havenā€™t quite nailed it down yet, but I suspect running monitors with different resolutions and / or aspect ratios causes issues with popped out windows.

Interesting. I have a drastic return to normal performance when I alt+enter the whole popout collection on my fourth monitor. Iā€™ll have to mess with it some more because now Iā€™d love to figure out why.

I kept maximizing and restoring the window and the difference is staggering. It was in a default with two G1000 popouts within the ā€œframed popout window canvasā€ (for lack of better words). I havenā€™t tried it with any other third party or FBW stuff yet. Iā€™ll post back if I can figure anything.

(Running 3 1080p monitors in Nvidia surround off the GPU, the fourth is a standard 1920x1080 thatā€™s hooked up to my motherboard video output directly)

If Iā€™m flying without pop-outs, my GPU usage is at 90+%. The second I pop out a window, my GPU usage drops to below 70% and never goes above. CPU usage on my main thread also drops and then the whoel game becomes main thread limited and holds me at 25-35 fps. Alt+ Enter on the single popped out window as you described did nothing to change this, nor did my frame rate reflect any change.

1 Like

I run a 3440x1440 as my sim display. I have an old 1920 x 1200 monitor off to the side I run LNM, Navigraph, and my ATC window on, and a 4K monitor on the other side I use for other stuff (like browsing the web, watching videos, etc during long flights). Then I have 2 15.6" touch screens that I use to display my Air Manager panels. Thatā€™s where my glass cockpit screens get placed, be it G1000 or otherwise.

2 Likes

out of curiosity - how are you driving the monitors, all off a single GPU?
wondering if my different experience is that my instrument monitor is driven independently of the GPUā€¦

btw, great setup!

The 3 large monitors are all from the GPU. The 2 touch monitors are running via a dual monitor USB3 to HDMI dongle.

One of these:

Iā€™ll see how mine reacts when I maximize and report backā€¦hopefully in a few days I havenā€™t been able to play for a few weeks!