Shimmering/AA downgrade since SU5 (in-game, not menus/overlays)

My GPU is not overclocked either. Everything is set to default as well. I don’t OC because of the artifacts.

1 Like

But I do have pre-SU5 videos clearly showing the nature of the shimmering, and I believe Asobo must know what are the type of optimisations they are doing with their rendering engine which is the root cause of this.

Here is to help…
[BUG/FEATURE] TAA is transforming road traffic into ghosts (self-cancelling moving pixels) - #3 by CptLucky8

Look closely at the trees in the 1st video in full screen (don’t look the cars):

No AA:

Then with TAA:

To me this looks quite obvious:

It seems they’re using the principles of PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) to trade spatial into temporal, that is displaying alpha blended pixels as opaque pixels instead, in selecting which to display per frame using a jittering pattern over multiple frame (hence the repeating cycle I’ve mentioned). This is not supposed to be visible when compensated with the TAAU accumulating pixels over time. However even pre-SU5, on the trees in these videos, you can see some jittering still with TAA. Now with SU5 they’ve changed the TAAU accumulation spread (and maybe thresholds) per Lionel’s video, and this most likely to me is the reason from the look of it, but just from the look of it of course and I can be 100% wrong as well.

7 Likes

One thing that I think this user-end testing shows is that what the eye perceives as shimmer/jaggies/artifacts etc. can be produced by multiple things. It’s kind of a straw-that-broke-the-camels-back scenario: whatever happened between SU4 and SU5 broke the back for several of us-- But maybe the specific “straw” was different for each.

For me, on my relatively low-end rig, something happened with the update that caused shimmer-like artifacts when overclocking my GPU (or that were exacerbated when OCing). So by turning off the overclock, the overall cohesion of the image returns to something that looks “normal.” That’s because while SU5 took some shortcuts with fidelity, it gives much better FPS and that also helps my immersion (esp in VR). Today was the first time since SU5 I actually got to enjoy a flight and get that “wow” feeling.

But I do very much still have issues with aliasing: there are definitely more jaggies in the cockpit and in menus than in SU4 2D and VR. There is still vibration/shimmering on tightly packed, high contrast horizontal lines (e.g., runway stripes viewed on the perpendicular). There is still some shimmering on distant objects like rivers and some buildings. And finally, as per CptLucky’s post, the trees look like they’re at a rave or something. [And this is not even talking about all the other issues, which I feel are OT for this thread].

So I think it’s important for us to keep posting our straws as they come, so to speak. Never know what might help.

1 Like

To me it is way more shimmering on buildings, trees etc. outside, but also inside cockpit, especially on EFIS displays.
It looked ok before SU5…

3 Likes

Hi guys, I was able to take some footage directly from my headset. The resolution does not seem to match exactly 1*1 but is close to what I perceive through the lens if you put the resolution to 4k in youtube.

In order to make exact reproduction as easy as possible I used a flight training scenario (the landing challenges such as Dusseldorf and Rio have much more obvious shimmering but in those I am unable to use active pause to hold aircraft stationary). The shimmering in this location is not as severe as shown in other videos above but it may have some value when compared to footage captured by camera phone as there should be zero additional movement introduced by moving the capture camera or lens effects - therefore the slight twinkling/shimmering of the buildings is purely coming from the rendering. Headset is stationary on the floor. Note there is no twinkling/shimmering at all on other parts of the image such as the aircraft, sky, hills etc.

Reproduction: Flight training - Take off and landing - Downwind - Use active pause to hold plane stationary

1 Like

I believe you are 100% right there are different types of shimmering. However there is the type which is expected due to the physical nature of computer graphics and there is the other type which only appeared since SU5 and which I personally find perfectly illustrated in its effects (my video at Santiago Chile) and in its root cause (my video with the cars).

For example:

These are most likely and specifically for a totally different reason than the shimmering I’ve posted videos about. Here is:

And this is another type of visible consequence of the effects of the sample theorem, in a form which is known as Moiré pattern

2 Likes

1 month to wait … until they fix this issue

1 Like

Don’t get your hopes up, not gonna lie I expect it to be like this for years to come lol

It would be greatly appreciated if we can get a fix asap to resume our hobby. With the pandemic going on, flying is stress relief (when it works) for many of us.

2 Likes

For devolopers:

You can clearly see what we’re talking about on this stream at 4K and 2D.

Exactly same issues happening on our displays (Default settings on Nvida and Win side + All ultra w/4K@100 MSFS + RTX 3080 ti)

Look for the far distance buildings and surfaces of the plane, you may see the shimmer and jaggies (or whatever the technical term you name it)

** This streamer have set render scale to 80 but on my system I have set 100 and have the same visuals. Please don’t assume it’s related to reduced render scaling.

By the way his videos are cool to follow major news regarding the sim so I suggest to have a look on his effort and channel.

1 Like

I see this only in the Display of the Reverb G2 in VR, not in the non-VR Mode. See the Video, it was captured with WMR recording. I see the same in the Display, Buildings in medium range are shimmering. It is much more visible in the Display, than on this video because of the Pixel size.

6 Likes

Clearly visible here. It can’t stop blinking, like: reflection, no reflection, reflection, no reflection, as if a spot light is moving around a big circle causing the reflection to appear and disappear more or less because of the change of its incidence angle.

2 Likes

Video taken using my iPhone filming through the lens of my Reverb G2.
Apologies for the slight blur, its hard to align the phone in the perfect sweet spot.
The dark vertical bands are also caused by the iPhone filming through the G2 lens.

And here is another one showing a scene on the ground, with taxiway and runway markings directly in front of the aircraft. Same scene both in VR and in 2D. Shimmering on taxiway and runway markings clearly visible!

VR (filming through HMD):

2D (VR completely switched off, filming directly from the flat panel monitor)

For clarification:
RTX 3080 FE
Reverb G2 (WMR & OXR)
All settings were unchanged from pre-SU5, where this issue did not exist, = perfect picture.
I tried resetting settings, Nvidia CP default, OXR50, OXR100, OXR150.
Render-Scale 100, all settings Ultra, etc. The issue persists regardless of settings.

5 Likes

In case you guys have something to add…

Really good examples, especially the first one of the autogen buildings! That’s what annoys me the most.

Replying to @CptOveurOver

@CptOveurOver It makes more sense to have this discussion here.

I don’t disagree with you. But many have the issue and have documented it.
Hardware and Software (incl. drivers) was completely untouched and the issue appeared with the release of a SU5 hot fix. It’s interesting you do not have the issue though! Did you check out the videos above? As you can imagine, seeing this ruins the experience completely.

Replying to @gordongreig

You have a G2 and do not experience the issues seen in the videos above?
What graphics card are you using?

No so that I notice. I suspect much depends on what settinsg you have in game/in OXR and WMR. I have an RTX 3080. I see it in the menus - very bad a noticeable, but if it is in the sim, then it’s no-where near my top 50 issues.

Interesting. The issue is extremely noticeable to me and may others in this post (as seen in the videos).
I have changed settings more than ever before without effect. (never had to change settings before SU5).

3 Likes

Small correction: the issue did not appear with the SU5 hotfix, but with SU5 itself