[BUG LOGGED] Shimmering/AA downgrade since SU5 (in-game, not menus/overlays)

Well this can’t be good, they can’t seem to replicate the AA issue on their end or are unable to see it perhaps?

AA in the menu has been “Started” however but this is for VR… I wonder if that’s fixed, will it fix the in-game AA automatically? At least that confirms there is definitely something wrong here…

The team asks for more details, perhaps send in your screenshots of bad AA?

1 Like

Asobo cannot reproduce the AA downgrade since simupdate 5? I can not believe it. I have no more hope for the sim…

4 Likes

How do we send them screenshots? @CptLucky8 has great through the lens footage here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/through-the-lens-footage-of-the-aa-shimmering-in-su5/

2 Likes

That’s the best example I’ve seen yet!

I had sent feedback through feedback hub as well but Microsoft engineers are being hard to work with…

I titled one feedback as “AA Not Working in Games” and I was told to provide more detail.
So I created another thread and named it “AntiAliasing bug in Windows - Please look into this MIcrosoft” and I was given the official response that I provided too many/multiple problems… Like seriously!?

Like come on guys… it doesn’t take a genius to figure out what the problem is here…it’s simple!

Fix the Anti-Aliasing… Check all dependencies that cause this feature to work… it’s not that hard!

1 Like

My best recommendation would be to post here and also on “Feedback Hub”.

Follow these steps at the link below:

https://aka.ms/fullscreenoptimizationsfeedback

“Our goal is to create the best possible gaming experience”… Fix the AA then… :angry:

Edit: Anyone want to start a signed petition online?

1 Like

I was spending already 20 minutes providing my feedback for the latest snapshot, and not just on this topic, but I canceled my post and won’t post anything more. There are too many things in the snapshot which are not logical too me, and I’ll only illustrate a few:

I prefer stopping there for now.

*Even if Alex Vlachos ex SteamVR R&D lead now WMR R&D lead has a new trick coming up for WMR soon, and he is brilliant with this tech definitely, what about SteamVR and Occulus users?

2 Likes

Is this only related to the VR AA or also the 2D AA?
I really can’t understand why they are not able to see it.
Just hop in a plane, fly around and look outside the window.
My only guess is, that Asobo doesn’t see the shimmering as an AA related issue but rather as a independent problem. Maybe we should clarify that the shimmering in the distance is the problem.

1 Like

This is unbelievable and outrageous!!
After waiting for weeks after the release of SU5 without proper communication, repeated delays of development updates and countless posts in the forums incl. screenshots and videos, we now receive an update snapshot stating that the most severe problem in the sim since the last update is „unable to reproduce“ and therefore just being ignored? I invite you to come over to my house and I will gladly „reproduce“ the issue for you!
Instead, the solution that you are now going with is „ignore and move on“ ?! This is completely insulting to everyone who is facing this issue and basically tells us that you believe the fourth biggest issue in VR for the community just doesn’t exist.
I built a 2,500€ PC and bought a 600€ VR Headset just to play Microsoft Flight Simulator, and you „break“ it with SU5 and them just tell us that the major issues you create don’t exist?!
And what doesn’t exist doesn’t need to be fixed right? Well it does exist and a hell of a lot of people don’t fly anymore because of it.

I have been eagerly awaiting the updated feedback snapshot for 3 weeks now, and today I search the latest blog post only for an update to this single issue and what do I find… „unable to reproduce“…. Release „N/A“.

Fix the sim!

10 Likes

Yup, I am just as outraged as you are about this… it’s basically broken the immersion factor out of our hobby!

Ever since the pandemic started, there probably hasn’t been enough QA Testers working on these issues now.

I for one am not happy one bit about the Xbox merger with the PC ecosystem.

If my PC that I’ve spent thousands of dollars on just to use this $120 piece of software has been downgraded to match a $500 console. I have one; received a faulty product, and two; my PC has been turned into a console! Basically a brick now since I don’t even really use it.

Everyone knows legal issues can arise when you publish faulty products… and especially if the sole intent here is to simply make money and not put heart into it. This is where you clearly end up at.

“Fix the sim!”

3 Likes

After spending quite a big amount of money over RTX 3080 TI in the aim of having a fluid 4K experience with MSFS, devoloprers come up with they are not able to fix 4K / AA and shimmering problems because they are not able to reproduce problems regarding these. In the aim of XBOX optimisation you messed up PC side and still persisting to keep this way. Community is going crazy on some topics/bugs/lack of features but there is no real responds except the devolopment updates which is only for relaxing people slightly. Please keep ignoring some aspects of the community and see what happens next. Gamers and gamer related features, improvements and DLC’s may bring money in short term but simmers will be your solid future if you want to stay long term ahead. Please think this again. I undertand the commercial points and accept the issues at some level but isn’t it enough after a year ? Focus on sim core and fix the shimmer which was not an issue before SU5. Do you think are we lying ? After all those SS’s and videos can you easily escape stating unable to produce the problem ? Do we seem a bit stupid from other side ?

Kind regards.

6 Likes

Keep the simmers happy and the future of the sim is secured.

I personally don’t care about the landmarks or eye candy extras of the sim such as WU’s…

What I care about is being able to fly properly and simulate the aircraft first and foremost… We are beginning to reach Microsoft Flight airspace now… Do you really want to go through that fiasco again Microsoft and lose trust within the sim community?

You’ve already released the simulator to Xbox, the damage is done now, not like you can cancel it now. In terms of optimization you will now have to work to separate the Xbox simulator graphics from the PC’s graphics in some form or another to resolve this AA issue.

It really ticked me off when Microsoft had NVIDIA release DCH drivers for Windows simply to satisfy their store Apps compatibility but ruining how other applications worked and gaming quality…

It’s a fiasco I tell ya!

6 Likes

@Jummivana

We all don’t know if it’s actually the broken antialiasing. We are not developers.

But the fact is that there has been so much more shimmering since Simupdate 5. This can be seen especially in the buildings in the distance and in VR. I don’t have to send screenshots etc. for it. Start the Sim, fly a lap in VR and especially look at the buildings in the distance. The buildings shimmer like hell since Simupdate 5. Before the update, it was much, much better. The shimmer is also present in 2d, but it is more noticeable in VR.

Whether the shimmer is due to the poorer antialiasing is just a guess of mine. It could possibly also be due to reflections or the like. A short feedback from the developers would be very good here.

We are simply concerned with removing the shimmer. Please fix the shimmer bug. And you must have noticed the shimmer.

6 Likes

We’re not devolopers or experienced engineers in software area. All we do is to state if there is any visual problems. So I don’t understand why we need to prove in detail if there is something unusual by visuals. As you mentioned they just need to run the sim on high resolution with full render scale and see there is a visual degradation by shimmer or whatever the name is. This issue is quite clear to exist on most of the systems and we need to hear better plans how to resolve it rather than ignoring the problem. If all those visual issues we have been experiencing is related with DX12 then please announce this clearly and state all those will gone after DX12 impl. or if no then find particular ways to fix each visual issue. Clouds - AA Shimmer - Shadows - Reflections and similar ones. All these are major things which kills immersion significantly. They are well below average and sometimes become unacceptable. I don’t understand how we end up in such state ? Major bugs are being delayed over and over ? A year. A full year and we still have same bugs even some of them being tagged as fixed by release notes ? Why ? How ? There might be some gamers quite happy about the visuals we have but if you are plalning long terms let me inform you that real simmers not happy by lack of major features and repetitve ignored fixes. I don’t care the Top Gun or similar DLC’s, I care sim core and major features first. Before the world updates why don’t we have better clouds or realistic night lighting ?

Kind regards.

2 Likes

@Jummivana

Here is a post from Captain Lucky that clearly shows the problem of the shimmer in a video.

Asobo watch the videos in the link and you will see the shimmer at the buildings clearly. You cannot say that the Shimmer error is not reproducible.

And please give up a short feedback that this issue (Shimmer bug since Simupdate 5) will be fixed in the future.

5 Likes

I think we should provide a precise scenario for them to look at, with all variables (weather, lighting etc) the same, as then they should definitely see it (and if they don’t, I am keen to understand the config of their testing system!)

One that we have discussed before is the Rio A320 landing challenge. For me the shimmering is immediately apparent on the buildings to the left immediately when the challenge starts. This is not curable for me with any settings changes. I have Quest 2 but others have the same with different headsets.

2 Likes

Well said. The shimmering is the worst bug in SU5 for VR players, at least many of them. Some don’t seem to see it? It blows my mind…

3 Likes

I would say that the shimmer is actually much worse on my system. If someone provides me with simple instructions on how to record a video of the VR source, I can try and post it.

EDIT: Looks like it’s pretty simple directly via WMR, I will give it a try.
EDIT2: Tried it with the regular WMR capture function and the shimmer simply isn’t visible in the video. Surely this means that the problem is occuring to the signal somewhere along the way of it getting processed for, and put into, the HMD?

Good idea. I’ve never done this challenge but will take a look at it when I have time. Bascially, I get really bad shimmer in basically any autogen building area that is not in my immediate vicinity. It looks soo ugly and yes, it’s immersion killer #1.

It’s not just that the distant buildings are shimmering. Even the cockpit, text boxes, the wing edges etc. It is evident that anti-aliasing must not be working properly as every straight edge is jagged when tilted.

Also, at the exact same time, the issue appeared in menus and overlay windows, so this must be somehow connected. Asobo have acknowledged this issue and say it will be fixed, so we can only hope that this also solves the problem in general.

1 Like

I honestly think it may only be apparent with certain hardware / driver configures if some people are really not seeing it.

There should be no need to set a specific environment for the simmering / non-existent AA to be seen. I see it on the runway as soon as my flight starts, and in VR the second I put on my VR headset. Runway markings, wing edges, cockpit edges, lines on the PFD and ND etc. It’s very prominent.

1 Like