Shimmering/AA downgrade since SU5 (in-game, not menus/overlays)

I got your point. I don’t blame you or all the mods as well but that is why I stated as DETAILED. Some major bugs have accumulated more than months in pocket without proper news. Various bugs have been tagged as logged but no progress so far over most of them. Lucky ones get one step fwd and somehow two steps backwards. I think seeing people getting nervous shouldnt surprise Asobo these days around. I keep saying this over and over. They should revise their work pattern and focus entirely bug fixing and adding most wanted missing features. Anyway. Lets hope to hear some news regarding to AA and shimmer issue especially on 4K soon even I don’t expect so.

6 Likes

These have nothing to do with the AA bug reported in this topic. I won’t explain the details here but believe me these are something else and known in the XP11 rendering engine.

3 Likes

Hi @PilotRaider7169,
Keep focused on MSFS on this forum. Use images from MSFS.

Thank you.

2 Likes

And the clouds downgrade, and the textures downgrade, and the lighting downgrade.

4 Likes

the shimmering is more and more present in the sim than before, what’s happening ? yesterday i had few shimmering , but today i have a lot on trees, buildings, clouds, everywhere …

1 Like

Yeah its terrible. It depends a lot on the time of day, light, and types of buildings and trees i think. Some tree types definitely shimmer worse than others.

I might have noticed a strange effect, on my system at least… In my last flight it seemed the shimmer/aliasing on buildings and even menus was quite improved if I tilted my head 45 degrees to the side :rofl: Is it possible the sim is rendering fractionally wrong aspect ratio or something like that ?

It may have been a psychological illusion, and I would normally thoroughly test such a bizarre claim before posting it… but unfortunately I had to leave the house! Quest 2 max resolution via virtual desktop

I concur and observe the same, but to me this is expected and normal: you’re giving the rendering engine 1.41x (√2) times more pixel coverage when drawing thin lines at 45º (compared to 0º or 90ª).

I’m also finding the VR rendering sharper since SU5 (but can’t remember if only since a SU5 hot fix or not) and I’m starting to wonder whether the bug couldn’t just be the game doesn’t deactivate the FXAA pass when using TAA, effectively running 2 AA passes of some sort, which would show the same artifacts which are typical to the FXAA algorithm even when using TAA.

1 Like

The easiest way would be a short answer of the devolopers😀

But Asobo just keep silent… :shushing_face:

6 Likes

I flew for the first time in a while (in VR, as usual), and the shimmering was just as distracting as ever. It doesn’t look like a big deal in videos, but in VR it just screams at me. It’s like villages generate solar surface level heat and are seen through heat-distorted air. As CptLucky8 says, it almost looks like there’s some FXAA in their TAA.

I really hope TAA gets fixed. It was obviously altered in SU5 (I still don’t think it’s linked to Windows - plus I don’t care what other games are doing, and I feel like it is detrimental for us to frame it as a more general issue if we want Asobo to seriously look into it. The issue is clear as day in MSFS, appeared in SU5, that should be more than enough). That said, I still can’t get over the “could not reproduce” dev update from a couple of weeks ago. I wonder what has been happening since. They are implementing controller support in VR. Surely while testing this the shimmering was visible, right? Right??

Otherwise I know the feeling of betrayal but please, let’s not harrass people… I think the number of votes, and the thread continuing is proof enough there is interest in this bug.

6 Likes

To me the amount thin lines (eg overlay menus, thin objects like antennas) clean up under slight rotation is extreme - I sometimes have huge (several orders of magnitude larger than pixel size) gaps in these thin lines where they completely disappear, but are then perfectly rendered in their entirety under some rotation. I haven’t seen this in other games but have had it since launch on MSFS (and then worse since SU5, making it apparent on buildings as well).

However I have no knowledge of these technologies so of course defer to your expertise :slight_smile: Thanks once again for your continued attempts to illuminate these technical topics for the benefit of the community and hopefully the developers.

Agreed with the above and the rest of your post. I am lucky that the shimmer bug does not bother me to the extent of not playing the sim, like it does for others (and like the SU5 pop in did for me) but I really hope this and the other VR bugs get proper attention very soon. When it works properly VR is jaw dropping in this sim and it really feels it would only require a very small incremental amount of developer time to make this a killer app for the whole technology. The hard work (streaming every building on the planet and an amazing weather system!) is already done !

1 Like

If I am not mistaken, the same issue can be seen on the stock G1000 PFD. The artificial Terrain on the display shows exactly the same shimmering like the “real” in-sim counterpart.

Edit: Watch in Fullscreen for a better image

3 Likes

Cool!! Does it keep shimmering in active pause as well?

its nothing new " since SU5 " in your video…

Wow, nice. If that’s not sufficient evidence then I don’t know what is…

normal behavior since day one and if you aware of the amount of pixels which can be shown in these little area, its like normal that we see AA artifacts.

I went and checked other videos on youtube of people using the G1000 and it doesn’t look as bad as the above example. I don’t think it should even look that bad even if it’s a screen.

Edit: Watch around 4:22 when he banks around bodies of water, no shimmering:

Yes the lighting downgrade is the worst bit for me, but nobody seems to be talking about it. The sim used to have an incredible lighting system that gave a clarity and depth to the scenery that I’ve never seen before. The sim looked ‘real’ and whenever I played MSFS, I’d always say ‘wow’ to myself. Now it just looks flat, cartoonish and worse than what I can achieve by modding x-plane.

2 Likes

To clarify, are you suggesting that all of the AA shimmering posted on this forum is “normal behavior since day one” or just the shimmering in the Garmin?

Cuz I agree that some AA artifacting is normal. But there’s normal and then there’s the “new normal” post SU5.

3 Likes

I agree with Dyceware, 4X MSAA in the past gave a very good result whereas now it’s a completely different scenario. 4x MSAA in tandem with Transparency AA would knock out just about 90% of the jaggies. Of course, now we use TAA but even that’s obviously not the same quality. Some jaggies are expected like in fencing lines for example but let’s not get carried away here and say it’s okay to have this new normal on just about everything now.