Shimmering/AA downgrade since SU5 (in-game, not menus/overlays)

CLAMP used to work and give a discernable difference, but not anymore.

Is this only an issue for systems with Nvidia Graphics or does it also affect AMD cards?
I am still convinced that it is an issue with the sim, but you never know.
I just watched some videos I recorded after the Sim came out and the image quality was beautiful. No shimmering and no bad AA. Back then I was still using my 5700XT though.

I just reached a point were I can’t enjoy it anymore. Not because the graphics are bad in that sense, but the mere existence of this issue distracts me constantly as I am automatically shifting my focus from flying, to inspecting all those weird AA problems. This of course makes the whole experience rather unpleasant. Especially since I know how it used to be. The game had one of the best AA I’ve ever seen.

Please, please fix it!

2 Likes

You know the weird thing for me is, that when I have the shimmering happen, if I change view modes on the display, I can find one that eliminates it and all is good again. And its not even always the same display setting that fixes it.

I also found that I could counter it using reshade as well
for now though since the server crash, Im trying to get my LOD back no matter what I set it to, its always the same like it was now hardcoded into the server.

Just tried this but unfortunately it didn’t help for me.

As described above, the only thing that consistently solves the shimmer+aliasing is tilting my head to the side by 30 degrees, but it is not a very practical solution :upside_down_face:

This is exactly it👍

Its supremely distracting and impossible to ignore unless you happen to be in a tree-less and autogen building-less area

3 Likes

Turning off AA Gamma changed nothing for me either

2 Likes

Interesting! What exactly do you mean by changing view modes? Sorry, I couldn‘t find anything on google.

I have a button on my TV controller, it has a selection for different picture options that can be configured. So say your running on Vivid, but now you getting the shimmer, so you cycle through the picture options, until you find one that works, Standard, Cinema, Games, are all the different modes + a few others, and they have different settings that can be adjusted. Most of the time you can find one that will eliminate the shimmers and make things look right again.

The trouble with this is, that is seems the time of day for me corresponds to which setting will eliminate the shimmers at that moment.

But I dont care about that so much any more because my LOD is screwed. Now I only have trees/bldgs to about 20 miles out then just what looks like someone painted the ground beyond that. When it first started happening after the big crash last week, the ground was painted a desert color which in cleveland ohio look really out of place, but it seems that now it has been painted a series of greens, and the terrible thing about it is, that as you fly you can see the rows of tree’s ahead of you, drawing in row after row.

Unless this is a feature for the next su, and its just not working properly because us lowly types dont have the new client to take advantage, Id have to say that the servers are getting more and more over burdened

I wonder if someone able to share their settings along Nvidia CP - MSFS and Windows who doesn’t suffer from AA issues ?

I tried many combinations of settings but still getting AA and shimmer issues. Shimmer is beyond my touch and I’am not taking this as serious as AA issues. However small but remarkable jaggies around cockpit displays and other features make me feel really annoyed. It wasn’t the case before SU5 AFAIK.

I suppose we’re a group of minority who experience such issues and I really feel sad not being able to enjoy the sim due to lack of visual quality.

Anyway to avoid this ? I guess we’re not going to have a fix for these in the upcoming SU6. I 'am looking for some help from non sufferers.

I have been running MSFS on Win10 (Latest build) with RTX 3080 Ti + AMD 5600 X
All drivers are up to date including BIOS. All Nvidia settings are on default and no overclock on any hardware. Display @ 4K 100 render (Viewsonic 32’)

Kind regards.

1 Like

No we are not a minority.
The difference is, that we recognized the problem as such. I actually went to my friends place yesterday to see if he has the same issues or not, because he claimed that his image looks fine.
Low and behold, he had the exact same jaggies, shimmers and AA problems like I do.
Only after showing him said issues he saw it for the first time.
In the end it all comes down if people are able to see it or not, but as far as I am concerned it is a problem everyone has.

3 Likes

You made it a bit clear for me because I was wondering why not people complaining over an important bug as much expected. I understand why by your statements. It looks like some of us have sharper eyes :slight_smile: It is sad that not having a real strong statement from devolopers about when will we have an fix about this.

Yes and I think it is also more apparent on certain setups. It is certainly much more apparent in VR, and even then I have seen someone with multiple headsets say that it is worse in some headsets (Quest 2, the most common headset and the one I have
) than others.

On top of that, maybe some people with lesser hardware are playing at lower resolution or reduced draw distances/densities at the middle/long range where the building shimmering is the worst.

So my guess is that everyone has it, but as above it is more noticeable on some modes/ hardware setups than others, and perhaps also some people notice it more than others.

1 Like

Are you talking about VR? I find it VERY hard to believe that somene using a high-res headset like the G2 would not immediately notice the autogen/tree shimmering.

If you mean on screen, yeah, that’s much easier not to see or to ignore. I don’t think I’d even care that much if I played in 2D (which I don’t), for me it’s primarily a VR problem. I have definitely heard from many who play in 2D and hate it too though.

2 Likes

THIS. I also went to my brothers house to check his PC and low and behold as well, same exact problem! We got the good eyes so to say to spot these issues.

This affects all computers currently.

I don’t have VR, so normal 2D settings.

as mentioned => default :wink:

1 Like

you reported images which are not nice and this have nothing to do with “eyes”. If you not ‘faked’ your images with zoom-levels 50000% ( which no normal eye can do ) , I assume all users in world would see what you have reported if there is a general issue :slight_smile: ( remeber: I speak about 2D )

I uploaded some images and at least your issue is not reproducable at my system
 I can not see your reported worst AA artifacts in a normal zoom level. I also checked Prepare3D , for which you reported the same, and there is also not such worst AA.

Thnaks for your posts.

Other than the external views can you share cockpit displays with WT G1000 Nxi at %50 zoom (as default) if possible. I always see some small size jaggies especially around COMM and NAV freq selection boxes (Active freq) on display. In addition similar jaggies appear around C152 comm-nav radios under spesific light conditions. You may try when time permits. Just want to make sure if you have or no as like me ? What a weird issue some of us having problems and some not.

Kind regards.

Hi , I already also mentioned former ( pictures ), that there are “since day one” around the navi’s AA artifacts are possible/noticable. But it’s nothing “new” and it’s nothing “new since SU5” ( what the topic here is ).

I thought the (newer part) of discussion was then about the AA issue which as example reported from PilotRaider ( not only for MSFS, also P3D , etc. ) or from Tweak112 ( with realy strange pictures ). For this I posted pictures that I can not reproduce it.
The other part of reported AA issues are the auto-gen buildings, but I not realy noticed issues here too.

Additional comes a kind of shimmering into the topic ( e.g. the grass picture, but where I would call it more ‘ghosting’ ). I mentioned , and show pictures, in which situations its happens related to the reported grass-scenery and that we know this from former releases. Intressting is, that we have a report that the newest nvidia driver cause this for other situations.

The only idea about AA issue which PilotRaider or Tweak112 depicted is , for me, the resolution ( full-hd vs. 4k ) or some manuall settings or realy a strange thing :wink: 
 ( and of course we have to differentiate 2D vs VR ).

I assume, because the topic has the BUG-LOGGED flag, the developers investigate the report and may be they realy find ( or allready know about ) a scenario where users are affected ( and I mean affected in a realy worst manner , otherwise I can not understand how hard the critism of some reports here is )

1 Like

It could be related to reflection AA. I see this issue more or less depending on the time of the day and the weather. Sometimes it is not really noticeable, and sometimes I have to quit the sim, because it is unbearable.
Yet, I never had this issue before. It is as prominent as ever since SU5 for me.