[BUG LOGGED] Wind turbines always point North

Do the wind turbines, generating electricity, turn into the current wind direction?

yes they do in real but not in the msfs2020 yet

Thatā€™s interesting because IRL there are few better cues for a pilot to look at to observe that prevailing winds which is important of course in both navigation and determination of into wind landing runaway should a windsock not be readily visible.

I Zendesked this issue months ago. Not fixed yet.

Kills the immersion imho

Turbines arenā€™t to scale which also makes them look ridiculous when you have giant turbines on top of each other with the potential for colliding blades. Seems like itā€™d be a really easy fix too.

2 Likes

+1 for this.

Especially for Heli operations this would be interesting

I totally agree.

This really needs to be brought up to the DEV team as a bug, thatā€™s why Iā€™m resurrecting this old thread.

The wind turbines is FS2020 react to wind speed but they always point north. Immersion spoiler IMO.

Itā€™s also a very useful tool IRL and in the sim, while flying VFR, to gauge wind direction by observing the wind turbines in the vicinity.

I canā€™t see this being difficult for ASOBO to get it right on a future update.

Agreed. Would be awesome to see them actually move with the wind direction. Also a random animation offset shouldnā€™t be too hard to implement, so that the rotors donā€™t turn perfectly in sync all the time.

1 Like

Just poking this one back up ā€¦ would be great to have this fixed given the lack of most other reliable cues for surface-level wind direction.

2 Likes

New to the SIM, and flying a lot around Scotland and Northern UK Iā€™ve noticed the turbine issues, which do break immersion.

1. all propellers turn in synchronisation, same speed, same turn offset.

2. shadows on some on the ground facing the wrong direction from the sun - not sure if theyā€™re shadows from the moon (it was 7.40am in March) or shadows left from the original satellite imagery on the terrain.

3. some turbines seem to be double or triple stacked, thinking of one bunch in particular in Cumbria.

I realise this is ā€˜just a simā€™, but given they are such huge objects in the environment, they are visually rather important.

3 Likes

There is an add-on here Default Wind Turbine replacement Ā» Microsoft Flight Simulator that I use. It down-sizes them a bit, the blade animations isnt synchronised so they are more random when grouped up and they turn to face the wind. You will wait forever for Asobo to sort them out, this sort of thing doesnt register as important in their minds.

1 Like

Saw that Addon also. But at least here in the north of germany the Asobo height of the turbines is quite fitting

Well I guess it comes down to what each of us sees as a priority. There are three significant features for these turbines, height realism, the unrealistic synchronisation issue with blades and the ability to point towards the wind. The Asobo version fails on two of the these three features, the addon fails in just one of them, height, in Germany at least. I dont really notice the height when I am flying to be honest, I certainly notice the sync issue and position relative to the wind though so for me the add on makes more sense.

Fellas, the above was an issue on the day one release of MSFS2020.
I would like to know if it was fixed ?

I purchased a third party add-on which includes wind turbines and it seems they point to the North still.

After more than 2 yearsā€¦ I would have thought this would have been fixed.

Am I missing something in the settings orā€¦ ?

Even if itā€™s too hard to fix properly, why do they point North?

Here in the UK the wind mostly comes from the SW, so that should be the default orientation for wind turbines .

I have used this since it released. Better than MSFS default imho.