Low FPS when flying through Clouds

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.

Tested it without any add-ons and the fps remains low

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

`Brief description of the issue:’

Flying in clear skies with FPS up to 70, but with 1 single cloud appearing or even a large thunderstorm it can drop the FPS down to 5-15

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Fly with clouds or in live weather mode

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz ; 32GB Ram

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?

Microsoft Store

Strange, is it reproducible every time even after restart?
What does the FPS display (developer mode) show in that situation? Please post a screenshot.

Which settings (especially cloud quality) are you using? Which graphics card? Are your graphics drivers up to date?

For me clouds cost maybe 5fps and I’m running them on ultra.

I have seen an FPS drop when encountering high level clouds at cruise, sometimes just wisps of a cloud but my FPS almost halves from 60ish down to low 30’s to high 20’s when i look at the cloud…if i rotate my view away from the clouds it gets better. Definitely weather related as I switched to clear weather and the FPS recovers.

I’m running Ultra clouds, live weather, 3080, everything up to date…

3 Likes

Same problem here…

1 Like

Cloud ultra setting is very demanding.

Try to lower it to High or Medium setting if you got performance issue.

The clouds weren’t this graphic demanding before sim update 5, I was able to run clouds on high without any fps loss. Since that update the graphics demand has increased for clouds causing my FPS to drop to half

2 Likes

Here’s a severe example of this bug for anyone needing an example:

Only got about 20 FPS during this although the clip doesn’t show it that well, unless you put the video on full-screen.

2 Likes

Possibly related to the animation in the cloud tops. If you slew in close to a large cumulus cloud you can see the animation of it burning off and reforming (as they do). But since SU5 this animation happens very quickly, and looks about 10 times faster than normal for me. I also started getting the grainy clouds at the same time also probably related.

1 Like

Still remains after SU6 unfortunately.

2 Likes

Yes.This is a high altitude volumetric fog, which is unfortunately an FPS killer when we’re flying inside it.

I usually get this weird fog when cruising at FL350-FL370

I hope Asobo notice this bug report.

2 Likes

Exactly that.

1 Like

Yes agreed

When the high lvl fog is gendrated my laptop GPU fan goes crazy …. Without …. No issues

1 Like

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no
Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

no

Brief description of the issue:

whenever I fly in fog, or clouds of any kind, I suffer a significant drop in fps which is very annoying and contributes to some CTDs I experience

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

i will provide a video soon

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

anywhere where there are clouds

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

several times in the last month

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

just fly through cloud, usually thinner clouds at about FL100-FL300

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

rtx3060ti, i9k series (12 gen), 16gb ram

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

i will provide this soon

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

This topic kinda seems dead but hopefully I can bring some life to it because I have seriously started noticing this lately and it has caused a couple of ctds for me and is also just generally inconvenient

1 Like