BUG: Too Many Installed Airports Breaks the World Map

I’ve got 417 European airports split across 7 folders that I install with MS Addon Linker. The problem is this, when you get to a certain number of airports, airport selection in the world menu fails.

The first sign of trouble appears when you zoom into an airport, the label disappears and never returns, even if you zoom out. The airport icon is there and all parking spot icons are visible, but the label is gone. You cannot select the airport for departure nor can you select any of the parking spots. This effectively results in your not be able to launch a flight. The only fix is to reboot the sim and remove some airports.

One would think this is the result of a corrupted airport, but if I load only one of the 7 folders at a time, all of the airports work and the menu problem does not present itself. This tells me that the game engine itself cannot handle the number of airports installed in the sim.

MS would be good to get eyes on this one up front or when people get to the 300+ mark in purchased airports, they are not going to be able to use them unless they uninstall some of them.

If required, MS can contact me and I will send a link to the airport downloads they can test with. I seriously doubt they have the time to download and go through all of the manifest files and naming conventions I have to get the airports installed properly in the sim. Unless they load the sim up with a bunch of airports, they’ll never see the problem, which is why they haven’t seen the problem to date.

As far as I know, this MS add-on linker is not written by MS…

BTW: 417 third party airports…
I know several pilots ( both airline and GA) who didn’t fly to that many airports in their entire life. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

the problem also occurs with too many loaded paint jobs. As soon as you go over 1020 content in the community folder, you can no longer see the content in the Content Manager, only the loading sign appears.
Megapack Liveries are great but then they already have alone about 700 entries. Use MSFS AddonsLinker then you can disable aircraft paint jobs that you do not need at the moment. Maybe there will be a fix for the problem in the future, but I do not think so.

I do use addon linker. Doesn’t matter. 417 airports loaded results in failure of the GUI and not being able to use the platform for its intended use case.

That’s just Europe, I have well over 1,000 airports all told. Using addon linker will not resolve the problem. I use it explicitly.

Didn’t know if that many high quality airport mods existed.

Now you do.

1 Like

I hope you’ve raised this on Zendesk as well, especially since you’re not getting a lot of votes.

Waiting for a mod to close this thread because it is ‘3rd party’…

Clearly this is a bug in MSFS.

Notified the devs on this.

2 Likes

What is the load time of MSFS with 417-1000+ airports added?
15 minutes? more?

That seems pretty accurate. And it is why I use the add-on linker. If I fly in N. America, I deselect all other airports, scenery for other regions. Works great.

To me its a shame that any 3rd party airports need to be “installed”. The default airports that do exist look pretty good. I realize that don’t always “act” very well (ground traffic paths, gate/taxiway/runway names/numbers). Also, I can understand getting airports that are missing (for over a year now!), but the msfs team should be adding these, of the 37,000 that were advertised.

So what is the real bug? Could it be that there are at least 1,417+ airports that are so bad that they need a 3rd party to fix them or what? :thinking:

They’re investigating a scenery gateway for community mods to be accepted as part of the core sim so that should eventually mitigate this.

That’s cool. But what I’ve found in downloading so many mods since the sim was released is that add-on makers do not follow a rigid guideline for creation of their mods. Sometimes it is the title of the aircraft in the aircraft.cfg file for a skin. Sometimes, the title in the manifest.json is missing. It gets messy really fast. The end result will eventually be a mod that drops in that doesn’t behave as expected and the end user pulling their hair out trying to figure out which one is causing the issue. At the very least, the menu systems in the game will be negatively impacted with different thumbnail formats for aircraft in the liveries menus, total disaster in the content manager menu due to lack of following naming conventions by add-on makers, etc. Even though it is harder, I prefer to pull my own downloads an fix all the little issues that turn into big issues before I install them into the sim.

Sure, and I imagine the only way a gateway would work is if it’s curated.

unfortunately the MSFS standard airports are not great .
an example is LSZS i understand everyone who replaces the original airfields with others made by talented community members

MSFS Original

MSFS MOD from Sergio

They don’t…

70% is worthless. At least.

Surprising to see that sim even still starts up tbh. Half of them have to be pre-patch and causes issues anyway.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.