Bush Flying in Papua New Guinea

@RegentFalke4131, beautiful! Thanks for the messaging the other day. Happy and safe holidays to you and yours. Cheers.

Anyone have flight plans (to/from) from the Missionary pilot youtube channel?

@greazr, I do like his channel, but he is a bit of a bugger by requiring you to pay into his Patreon to get flight plans! Cheers.

@greazr, forgot to mention that you will find every available freeware for PNG here (don’t think there is any payware). The freeware covers many of his airstrips. Cheers.

2 Likes

Hi FrankPilot, I jumped the border and am now in PNG. Looks not so wild as the Jaya, but with beaucoup airfields.

Guess I will change here from Porter & Savage to Twinotter and the DC-3:

For starters created a PLN that combines the strips of your video “10 most dangerous PNG landings” in a meaningful fashion - good to get a feeling for the country.
PAP_NG_10_dangerous.PLN (4.6 KB)

Thanks Wantok etal. to create freeware and suppress spikes, didn’t see any!

2 Likes

@RegentFalke4131, great stuff, good on you. Cheers.

@RegentFalke4131 Have just come across this thread. Thanks for posting the flight plans, I will look forward to trying them out.

Whilst we are waiting for the AH DC3 have you and @FrankPilot1530 tried flying the JU52 in PNG? Three were operated out of Goroka by Gibbes Sepik Airlines in the 1950s and Jankees has produced a livery for one of them - available here. More info about them is here.

I have just posted some shots from a recent flight at What did you do in MFS today? - #6543 by PipsPriller

3 Likes

@PipsPriller , thanks, will check all of that out. Don’t want to miss a single thing to do with PNG! Cheers.

No problem, it’s also one of my favourite places to fly - maybe see you down there sometime!

1 Like

thx Pips, had no idea about post war Ju ops there, guessed it was all C-47s.
more on Gibbes in PNG - with the Porters of its day:
Flying Magazine - Google Books
my next PLN will be a Ju one

FrankPilot you are blessed to live close to PNG - ever flown here IRL?

1 Like

Hi @RegentFalke4131, only as a passenger half a dozen times from Australia to Port Moresby and Lae in the 1970s. I was a young airport engineer helping to build Nadzab airport outside Lae. It was a gift from Australia to the then newly independent PNG. We built it from an old WW2 strip. We flew between Port Moresby and Lae in a Fokker F27 - climbing for quite a while, level for just a few minutes, and then down again, over the Owen Stanley Ranges. Was amazing and beautiful. Never forget it. Cheers.

2 Likes

@RegentFalke4131 thanks for the link to the article and looking forward to the flight plan. I hadn’t picked picked up that Gibbes started out with Austers. Makes me even keener to see Dave Garwood bring his Auster across to MSFS. Would also be good to see a Norseman to complete the set…

Will have to revisit Tapini - was a staple in P3D as the centrepiece of Orbx’s PNG addon (I wonder if that will eventually come across as well, along with their mesh?).

1 Like

This is a late 1950s flight of the Gibbes Sepik Airways Ju-52 in the far east of PNG - with a hairdresser-turned-pilot at the controls:

You start at sea level near Goodenough Bay and go inland, passing Mts Simpson and Suckling (12000ft, see pic).
PAP_NG_EE.PLN (4.3 KB)

Its pretty decent, 8 airstrips total (shortest 1666ft, highest 4400ft, just be easy on the brakes while landing), that is unless you unleash a difficult PNG weather theme and load up 3600kg of cargo…

3 Likes

@RegentFalke4131, what a great find! Read it twice already. Need to read it again and then do the flight. Maybe a video. Much appreciated my friend. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks, a great story and another reason for getting an Auster in MSFS! Will also be trying the flight plan out.

Goood Mornin Frank (and all),

hope you will like this, more halcyon days in Papua:

So we will use his Fokker(s) in the Stanley/Kokoda Area:

PAP_NG_E.PLN (6.4 KB)

16 strips in the mountains, some from the .to and kinda too tough for the FVII (performs a headstand easily when braking) - but try…

Plus we swerve over Mt. Victoria for a coast-to-coast-look (13.400ft):

More on them flying gold-diggers - and the widespread Dutch use of the Fokkers in Papua:
https://aeropedia.com.au/content/fokker-f-vii/

Heard that the F VII gets an update soon - and hopefully some liveries: interesting stuff (ups, Swissair in Africa?):

2 Likes

Now that we have a free-payware-quality Catalina …

… we can recreate PNG history as PBYs were used a lot there postwar:

https://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/civil-catalina-1/Civilcatalinas.html
https://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/civil-catalina-2/civilcatalinas2.html

Endless opportunities to reach villages & places that had no airstrips at the time - so waterland on each WP (except two maybe :wink:):
PAP_NG_Catalina.PLN (6.0 KB)

(sure enough you might also take a Goose or modern-day floater)

A challenging water-only PLN in Dutch Irian-Jaya will follow - with a 1920s Netherlands N.A.S. Dornier Wal…

4 Likes

Hi,

Is it possible to attach your flight plans to the Catalina documentation in order to provide interesting discovery proposals to users?
Thanks for your answer .

Hi Frank, as the topic creater - do you know why it was moved away from “world discovery” proper?

1 Like

Don’t know my friend. Maybe they consider this is more about content creation than world discovery? Cheers.