C172 G1000 wobbles when on autopilot at higher altitudes

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Unsure if the CFD is the issue here, but when flying at higher altitudes with the 172 the plane has a distinct wobble when on AP. Regardless of if you’re in GPS or HDG mode, the plane will have a wobble when flying straight. When turning off AP, the plane is rock stable again. Winds are 15 knots on the tail, but not gusting. I have tried to search for this issue in the forum and I’ve found it being mentioned in the feedback section for the CFD, but not as a separate bug report.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

https://youtu.be/S3xc4zY23bE

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

This flight went from WAZE to WANP. OAT +9C @ 12500ft. While flying in a straight direct line between the two airstrips, the plane wobbles on autopilot. Disabling autopilot will stop the wobble.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes

Yes, wobbles on AP regardless of HDG or NAV

Started out of KABQ westerly around 8000ft altituded

1 Like

YES

Must be CFD related. With steam gauges C172 there is no issue.

I should test this again but I believe I disabled CFD in the plane’s config files and the wobbling was still there, just a little less pronounced. It’s something to look into:

Here’s how to disable it (as far as I know):
In the plane’s flight_model.cfg file (BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL BEFORE EDIT).

[AERODYNAMICS]
CFD_EnableSimulation = 0
CFD_ReinjectBody = 0

Or, if you delete those CFD lines, you may be able to toggle it off/on in dev mode.

Reproduced with CFD disabled in flight_model.cfg. (information moved up to my initial post)

I was about to open a new topic but found yours. I can confirm the wobbling also at lower levels and regardless of live weather / a calm scenario.
The AP seems to be to sensitive and wobbles from time to time. After being stable for a few seconds it alternates with a period of severe wobbling. As I fly the C172 G1000 in real life I can tell the discrepancy.

2 Likes

Yes

There is additional information about this issue in the thread at https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/feedback-for-cfd-simulation-on-c172/508234
My issues with the wobbling had nothing to do with pilot inputs, as discussed in some areas of the identified thread. I had not put in any pilot inputs, as discussed there. So it appears to be not related to controller input.

1 Like

Does anyone here who confirmed the issue NOT have the WT G1000 NXi installed? (Technically the NXi is not supposed to affect the autopilot functions, but I have seen a case where it affected FLC mode.)

@HethrMasn
I’m running only the stock Garmin without any mods.
Regards

1 Like

Yes

The oscillations began while climbing with AP engaged in GPS and VS mode. Normal climb airspeed with live weather. Behavior continued after level off with GPS and ALT hold modes engaged on AP. When AP disengaged, oscillations stopped immediately and smooth flight continued. I also removed live weather to make calm winds but same oscillation behavior existed.

Unlisted video link here: https://youtu.be/xkzoZZdpR2c

Just to reiterate , I beleive the bug is related to very slow turns by the autopilot at altitude… turns become very slow when bank angle limiter is engaged, which is usually automatic above a certain altitude in most aircraft…

It could also be the soft body physics, if that is even enabled yet. I could see it causing the oscillation if it isn’t tuned properly.

This oscillating behavior is new to me on the C172 but I’ve experienced it in other aircraft even before SU9 with the IndiaFoxtrotEcho F35. That aircraft also has the oscillation as I’ve tested it last week in SU9, although it’s not as pronounced as it was previously or as bad as in the 172 video that I shared.