C172 (non G1000) autopilot - altitude only mode?

Is it possible to set the Cessna 172 autopilot to only control the altitude, but still being able to fully control the lateral movement of the plane manually? Let’s say I want the autopilot to maintain a certain altitude, but do the flight path navigation myself using the yoke.

I assume it’s not (it seems either Roll or Heading mode is always active), and I don’t even know if this is just a silly question and whether this makes any sense for autopilots in general, but I thought I’d ask in case I’m simply missing something.

Not a silly question, but that’s not possible IRL either.
Some autopilots have a feature called CWS (control wheel steering). By pushing a button on the yoke, you temporarily disengage the AP and maneuver as you wish. As soon as you let go of the button, the AP takes over again.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks for the insight!

This might help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Nfn0lUcpI

I use the HDG on the AP. On screen, that’s really difficult with a mouse once the plane starts banking. You can however, program your heading up / down commands to buttons on your keyboard or yoke / stick / throttle. In my case, I use the scroll wheel on my X56 thottle. It works beautifully.