Cable or Wi-Fi Pico 4 or Quest 2?

After recent purchase of a Pico 4 for a few weeks now. I am still very impressed by its performance and visuals in FSVR. I still have my Quest 2 so I have compared. As standalone headsets the Pico 4 and Quest 2 are almost the same, the Pico does have a wider FOV, but not that noticeable, the edge to edge view is a bit clearer. The real difference is in FSVR. For some reason the Quest 2 performance in FS is poor. Poor FPS struggles at 18 to 22. Pico 30 to 35 FPS (Open XR Toolkit overlay). The Virtual Desktop overlay shows a much higher frame rate. Quest 2 image in FSVR is dull, not very sharp, sometimes shaking and jerking, looking washed out. The Pico 4 image is sharp, bright , the colours are vibrant, hardly any stutters, and is smooth. All settings are same for both headsets. It has been recommended to use USB link cable, but I just can not notice any difference using cable or wi-fi. One plus using cable link, is the Pico is always charged. Obviously, I see no need to keep both VR headsets, so the Quest 2 will go. Since the Pico 4, I play FS in VR most of time. Before, I rarely played FS in VR. Screenshot taken with Pico 4, over London UK.

3 Likes

Hm that´s interesting, so the PICO4 has more performance than the Quest2?
But why?

Using the headset wireless is way more comfortable, plus it has a better and more crisp and clear picture without any tearing and distortions when panning the camera fast.
The only negative aspect of using Airlink is that the PC must be plugged in with ethernet cable to the router because using all devices wireless while using airlink simply has too much interference.

I can honestly say that I am so happy with my VR setup now that I am using the Pico 4, rather than Quest 2. I use Virtual Desktop with a dedicated router and am finally able to stop tweaking settings and just enjoy the simulation!

2 Likes

Just a question…I am also concidering to buy a Pico…do you still use your joystick in combination with the Pico or what is the perfect setup for the pico…?

I always fly with the Turtle Beach Flightstick, or the Velocity One, along with keyboard and mouse.

1 Like

hi what GPU are you using with your pico as ive being told you need nvidia 4090 to get any good frame rate my setup is a 5800x3d 32gb ram and a 3080 i get about 40fps with my quest 2 but find the colours do look washed out i mainly use usb link cable as router is in another room but ive seen them ethernet to usb cables available for use with the pico 4