Camera Mode Intuitive Switching

The current camera mode switching mechanization and mapping is not intuitive primarily because the END key changes the “Showcase” view between “Drone” and “Fixed” preventing direct selection of the view not currently set as the “Showcase” view.

I would like to see the two “Showcase” views separated into their own “Drone” and “Fixed” camera modes with the ability to toggle back and forth with the same key from/to cockpit mode, but one way switch between each of the other three modes. I’ve depicted this below (pay particular attention to the colors of the one way switching). END key would always give you “External” or back to “Cockpit,” INSERT key would always give you “Drone” or back to “Cockpit,” and a TBD key would always give you “Fixed” or back to “Cockpit.”

I use the S to change between cockpit and external as in P3D and insert for the drone. Easy

Sure, it’s easy, but not intuitive. I presented what you’re saying above as well.

Why can’t I go direct to drone or external without having to switch my “showcase” view?

The current implementation also makes programming shortcut buttons impossible since it depends on knowing the current camera mode.

1 Like

Not sure if this was changed in one of the recent updates, but there are some “Toogle xyz camera/view” commands in 1.10.11.0 which seem to work out of any view state in always the same way (which I like for predictable key press results)

• Toggle Drone
  • Toggle Instrument View 1 … 10

Then there are three which are not a “toggle” as they will not return back to the previous view state if pressed again … which I really like, as this makes them even more predictable.

• Toggle Drone View
  • Toggle External View
  • Toggle Cockpit View … but this one produces the last view that was active in the cockpit, so the result is less predictable

I am still trying to understand the details of the state machine and view stack behavior.
Once I have a somewhat useful drawing of the state transitions I will post it here, maybe other would find that useful too.

How do you that? Could you explains?
thanks

Hello SageGlobe
I’m sorry for my late reply.
You have to go to controls and search for camera mod switches there you will see the switch to external and drone mode, like in first image attached

Then you can see what is selected as the control in the keyboard so you can use it or if you prefer you can change it. You first delete current value then you add yours, in my case I changed it to S.

If you don’t see the option then click ALL in the filter where it says assigned so the sim displays all camera options

Cheers
Carlos

As mentioned a few days ago I tried to draw a diagram with all the present camera/view switching commands and possibilities. So here is my present attempt:

I hope that it is useful to other people too.

3 Likes

@Hester40MT I know you closed this topic (View and cam management - #11) in an attempt to get folks to pick just one, but it seems to me that 3 of the topics you referenced want more direct and intuitive mapping to the different views (like this topic) and one wants an API for 3rd party integration of the same.

Could Asobo summarize WHAT they think we’re all after and then propose the HOW they think we would want it implemented for feedback?

I’m a Test Pilot who has participated in many cockpit working groups and evaluations. That’s essentially how those work as well.

In any case, thanks for trying to move these fixes forward!

1 Like