Can anyone help me with Pimax 8K X stutters please?

I have a Pimax 8K X and an Alienware Aurora R12 with an RTX 3080Ti 12 GB, Intel Core i9 11900F and 32 GB RAM. I am not a PC expert but I understand that this is quite a powerful combination for VR. Yet I am not impressed with the image quality and it is impossible to use wide field of view. Even when I set the MSFS Global Rendering Quality to Low, there is quite a bit of stuttering (especially when I do a stress test flying the Fenix A320 low over Manhattan) and the picture is not as stunning as it looks in some videos on Youtube. In fact, when I change the Global Rendering Quality from High to Low or vice versa, it doesn’t really seem to change FPS (at around 22) nor the stuttering. What am I missing?

I have read all the recommendations in forums and YouTube that I could find. I have OpenXR, PimaxXR and Open Composite installed. I have disabled Hyperthreading. Windows energy settings are on high performance. In the Pimax Tool, my settings are Normal field of view, Native, 90 Hz, Render Quality 1.0, Parallel Projections disabled. In the OpenXR Settings, I use Upscaling CAS 80%, Foveated Rendering OFF and everything else that can be turned off is turned off. In MSFS, I use TAA antialiasing, Render Scaling 100, Reprojection Mode on Depth, and Global Rendering Quality on Medium. I have the latest version of all drivers and tools. My CPU and GPU are running close to 100%. I don’t know if this matters but I use glasses to see far and I am close to the point where I need some glasses for reading as well.

You have an RTX card and have TAA enabled within MSFS. Those cards are DLSS capable which should show in the VR and PC section of MSFS. Use that instead would be my recommendation. DLSS is Deep Learning Super Sampling which should help way more than TAA for that card.

Also, I’m really not sure, but I try to stay on the same page with OpenXR settings. I didn’t want to use TAA in MSFS and CAS in OpenXR or some conflicting settings, and since I use DLSS I leave those settings off in Open XR, because there is no DLSS setting in OpenXR.

I have found within VR that some aircraft will fly well over certain well populated cities and other well populated cities they will not.

I have also well studied 3 of my pay ware aircraft that simply will not produce good framerates in VR, but my other 11 will. So those 3 stay hangered. It may have to do with the super HD textures used or something, not sure. I wish they would produce lower HD texture for VR flights.

Anyway my recommendations below are based on getting it ironed out myself:

In the Nvidia settings on your taskbar, turn everything in the 3d settings to default. (Top right)
Also lock your framerates there too.
I have mine locked at 30, and they drop a little here and there. I used to run wide open and got stutters, lags, and tears.
What I believed was happening is my GPU was maxed out running 77 FPS and then got to an area that was even more intense and couldn’t keep up with a maxed out FPS. But 30 changed all that for me.

Use DLSS in VR . Below that tab is a Quality, Balanced, performance or Super performance tab. If your framerates are better, choose which you need the most. Once I got it ironed out and had 30 FPS consistently, I turned my setting to Quality, and could absolutely see a difference.

Test different aircraft over Manhattan. Use one area to test over and over and different planes. One FPS friendly aircraft is the NX Cub.
It is simply frame rate friendly in VR even on my last, lesser performance video card.

Also, your screen resolution will affect clarity, check that also, but be aware higher setting affect FPS.

Anyway, yes that PC should run well, so hopefully my recommendations will help.

thanks very much, Shiloh1961! But when I enable DLSS, the image gets very blurry. I have tried out your other suggestions without no success unfortunately.

I am starting to wonder whether the problem has something to do with the fact that my PC is an Alienware. I have read some negative comments about using Alienware desktops for VR. Or perhaps it has to do with the electric wiring in my game room where I live (Brazil), that perhaps can’t handle the 800W that my PC consumes. But would it be possible that CPU and GPU usage are at 100% in this case?

I’m not sure, but I am running a RTX 3070ti on a 550W Power supply without issues.

You can bring up the task manager during a flight and check CPU, memory and GPU usage.

Not sure what your problem is, but I will keep looking for a solution.
One thing I did do that seems to have gotten rid of the last of my plagues was lower my screen refresh rate from 144 to 120. Seems weird, but that made my flight smooth after that.
I was seeing white flashes like others have reported, so after lowering my refresh rate, the flashes went away. Those white flashes might have been a blank frame or something but lowering it did help.

Hi,

Are your glasses just for distance vision? If not then you should get a prescription just for distance vision…MSFS2020 with Pimax 8KX is set up for distance when wearing the headset…I have seen a few videos describing this…I changed to distance vision only on a set of glasses I wear and it made a big difference to the clarity of the image. Also, make sure your IPD (the little dial on the lower right side of the headset is correct for your eye spacing…there are a few videos that show how to set this up…search IPD PIMAX 8KX to find them. Then use the image offset settings in the Pimax software to tune the image if your eyes are not parallel to the projected image (one eye higher than the other). After getting this all set up and your glasses sorted out you should have a better picture in the headset…worked for me. I don’t think your image issues are due to any hardware or MSFS2020 issues just getting Pimax tuned to your specific needs. One thing to be aware of, is that wearing glasses in the headset can lead to scratches on the glass lenses and on the Pimax lenses…too close together and they will rub. No fix for this yet…so be careful and use the 15mm comfort gasket for Pimax 8KX. Also, after a few months the gasket will become thinner (crushed) and needs to be replaced to keep the spacing. Pimax needs an 18mm gasket but they are not keen on making one. I asked. Hope this helps.

I have a RTX 3080 I9 32 gig ram and My Pimax 8k is in the box. I cant get it to work decent where as my Oculus 2 No OPEN XR. I just plug it in and I get 70 FPS no issues. Pimax has a lot of work to do to get the 12k working , The 8K isn’t even working yet ,i am a bit worried I wasted $1000.00 On Museum piece.

1 Like

That’s really slow. With an RTX Titan (in VR on the level of the 3080ti) I had an average of 34-40FPS in similar settings without rear projection. If you don’t mind the increasing edge blurring with FFR, turn it on. Then you have at least 50% of the picture in full TAA sharpness. That should bring 5-8FPS.

If nothing helps, use Small FOV. The FOV is still 30% above the Quest, Aero, G2 etc.

But something else has to slow it down. Unfortunately, I don’t know the Fenix A320 and I don’t know how hungry it gnaws at your CPU.

Here’s an update from my side… I have discovered that most of my Traffic settings in MSFS (like boats, fauna…) were rather high, which I understand consumes a lot of CPU, and I turned them all down to zero (I could have thought of that sooner, I admit!) and there was a huge FPS increase on my monitor, but unfortunately no change in VR: it’s still around 20. This is what astonishes me that no matter what setting I reduce or increase or change, FPS in VR are constant at 20. And I have made sure that there is no FPS throttling in any of my settings.

About reducing the Hz of the VR headset, I have tried that (the Pimax 8K Plus offers 90Hz, 75 Hz and 60Hz) and I have reduced it to 60Hz and while it had no impact on FPS, there seem to be less stutters, so I am quite happy with that.

I have now chosen “aggressive” in the FFR option in Pimax Tool, which I understand to be the strongest version, but haven’t noticed any change. I have turned it off in the OpenXR Toolkit setting as it seems to me that using two different FFR solutions may be an overkill or possibly even interfere with each other and make it worse. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Alas, this is a general question I am having: if there is a certain technology available in more than one setting, is it better to use just one or both? For instance, as I just mentioned, there is FFR in my Pimax Tool and also in OpenXR Toolkit. Or there is V-sync in the Nvidia settings but also in MSFS (for the monitor only).

Thanks about the advise about glasses, I will check this out!

Last but not least, let me record here also that I have tried other planes in MSFS to see whether the problem may be related to the Fenix A320 I usually like to fly, but no change there as well.

Thank you guys!

use only OpenXR Toolkit FFR! not from pitool. Toolkit has more options and smoother results.

and …

WRT wearing glasses and causing scratching, consider installing a thin film lens proctector - very inexpensive ($8USD) from KlearKare.com - measure the diameter of your lenses and trim them down with scissors,

I am glad lowering HZ worked in your headset, but I was talking about your PC monitor. When I lowered my PC monitor to 120 HZ, all my problems went away. No more stuttering, and the PC holds a solid 30 FPS locked, and rarely dips any with full ultimate settings and all sliders at default as well, and no weather settings or city affect the frame rates either.

I know in an Oculus Quest 2 the default HZ is 72 and they advise against going higher, so I suppose the same performance Issue will relate to a PC monitor. Faster is not always better it seems.

Thanks Shiloh1961, because I tried out your advice, lowered my monitor down to 60 Hz, same as the VR headset, and while the FPS remain unchanged at 20 FPS, the image all of a sudden looks much sharper (as I would expect from a Pimax 8K X) and there is only a minimal stuttering now that I can live with. There is however some sort of flickering now, especially in the displays in the cockpit.

As I have a ultra-widescreen monitor that may demand more GPU power, I tried to disconnect it from the PC while using VR, but it had no impact on FPS.

But as I said before, nothing that I do or change seems to have an impact on FPS. Whether Global Rendering is Ultra or Low, I get the same 20 FPS, the only thing that changes are the stutters which are a bit more in Ultra. I have activated the FPS “meter” in OpenXR Toolkit, and it says “GPU bound”, suggesting that I am not meeting my modest FPS target of 25 due to GPU limitation. However when I look at the FPS “meter” of MSFS Developer Mode, it says the problem is the mainthread, which I understand to be the CPU. Oh lord, why does it have to be so complicated?

YW. Glad something else worked.
Try turning Vsynch off if it is on and also do you have the latest Nvidia driver? Those are the only things I can think of atm.
The flickering might be from the HZ being too low. Try taking it up a notch if you haven’t already.

One other thing. What is the screen resolution of your widescreen? If it is on Max settings, bring it down one level and check frame rates. That will certainly affect framerates if too high. If that works, bring the monitor HZ back up some.

I’m not entirely sure how DLSS works but if you are on max, and lower it a notch, then DLSS might lower it a level or two and upscale it to those new settings. Worth a try anyway.

So just for the record, in the hope it may help someone else, I finally was able to get 40 FPS with only very minor stutters, but it was an odyssey. I put my PC on a table to open it and see whether there was dust inside hampering its thermal performance, and then I realized that there was still a bit of plastic over one of the ventilation entries that I had not removed when unboxing the PC for whatever reason. “Plastic, really, Matthias?” I can hear you say. Yes, really, what a shame!

Then I discovered that it is possible to alter the fan curve in the Alienware Command Center (software) that came with my Alienware PC and I increased ventilation very much, to the point where the noise is almost bothering me even with all the noise in the cockpit, but hey, I do everything for higher FPS! I was eager to test it in MSFS, but to my great disappointment, nothing had changed, FPS were still only around 20 and CPU was at 100% utilization while GPU at around 80%.

Then, doing more research on the internet, I discovered a great book “PC Master Race: a beginners guide to PC gaming” by Raúl Jiménez with many great tips to improve PC performance, among them a somewhat mysterious and hidden Power Plan in Windows called “Ultimate Performance” which can be enabled by typing in a long, cryptic code in Command Prompt. It then appears as an option in the Windows settings where to choose a Power Plan, but for whatever reason, I have to select it again each time I restart the PC.

I also implemented all the advice that can be found in the link below:

I had already seen this link before and implemented perhaps 80% of its recommendations, but some of the tips seemed to be too much down in the “machine room” of the system, and I was weary to implement them, but now I have implemented everything except: I still had hardware accelerated GPU scheduling (HAGS) enabled, as I understood it transfers part of the CPU’s workload to the GPU and that seemed to be a good thing to me if you are CPU-limited.

The result was great: all of a sudden, FPS were 30 with TAA (antialiasing in MSFS) and with DLSS even above 40 (but again with a blurry image). But, as so often with my MSFS troubleshooting, I solved one problem only to gain a new one: now there was a weird latency and shaking whenever I moved my head with the VR headset (in TAA, not in DLSS). I noticed that when the mouse cursor was outside the MSFS window on my monitor, it would stop, and the moment I put the mouse back in again (to use it in the cockpit) the latency would start again. I said enough for today, let’s try it again tomorrow, as that often does wonders.

So today, before starting MSFS, I disabled HAGS, and Game Mode was already disabled, started MSFS in VR, and hallelujah, I have FPS between 35-41 with TAA (and only 4 more with DLSS), a smooth image with very minor stuttering (I have put the Global Rendering Quality on Low to get an even smoother image), and no weird latency when I move my head. And that is flying low over Manhattan with some clouds and in the Fenix A320, which I consider THE stress test for a PC. Furthermore, when I change the Global Rendering Quality now, I notice a change in FPS, whereas before, it was stuck at 20 FPS no matter what I changed.

With all the changes I made in the last 48 hours, I don’t know whether there was one single thing that had a major impact, and if so, I suspect it is this Ultimate Performance setting. I will continue testing. Next step is to uninstall or remove all mods, be it freeware from outside MSFS or payware from the marketplace, to see whether this relieves my screaming CPU.

3 Likes

Hi,
I am having really good results with my 8kx when using DirectX 12. My fps vary between 40 and 55 depending on weather.
I am using the Nvidia 528.24 driver with my RTX 3090.
Below are my settings

Hi Super275327! How do you select DirectX 12 in the VR mode? I don’t see it in my VR settings nor in your screenshots above. It only appears in the monitor settings.

HAGS should be On for your 4090 if you want to try DLSS 3.
Game mode keeps your pc from running updates and such in the background while you are playing.
You switch to DX12 in 2D settings. It carries over to VR.
At your resolution, you don’t need any Texture Supersampling. Set that to off.

Here are my settings for the following system specs…it still has a almost non-existent hesitation when looking left and right in VR and the lettering on some instruments is slightly blurry…but readable.
Here are the specs

CPU Intel i9-13900KF overclocked to 5.5ghz
RAM 5600mhz Ripjaws 64GB but no XMP selected (running at 4800mhz)
Motherboard ASUS Z790-P (PCI express GPU is running verion 4.0, motherboard is 5.0 capable…so I am not getting the most from the GPU with this board)
NVME 2.0 Samsung 980 EVO for FS2020 drive F:
WD Black SN750 SE 1TB for system drive C:
GPU Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6X (no OC)
PIMAX 8KX with 6M optical cable (Dport 1.4 and USB 3.1)

Here are the software addons I run for MSFS2020
ISLC…look this up on internet and I have found it might add 1-2 FPS not much but can be helping.
FSLTL…there is a video review where the user says they turn off aircraft traffic in MSFS2020 and get 5-10 FPS using FSLTL…I have not noticed this but use it anyway.

Also I use Seafront Simulations addon for Ships and Leisure boats…flawed, but makes the world seem more alive.

I mainly fly the Carenado C-337H out of KTIW with scattered clouds or VFR day…live weather during this time of year is too low of a ceiling for VFR flight usually.

HAGS is on and game mode is on…Nvidia Inspector changes made for Resizable Bar…look up videos on how to set it up. Nvidia Gforce Experience turned off/not installed. Nvidia current driver 528.24

Also, I wear glasses (tri-focals, I am 63 years old) saw a video that described MSFS2020 visual focus was set for far vision (your prescription) so they recommended having a pair of cheap glasses with just your distance vision for use in the headset.

With these settings I get between 35-50 FPS in the Seattle area (KSEA)

Here are the settings for PIMAX 8KX, ISLC, MSFS2020 PC, VR, DATA and TRAFFIC (pics)

Hope all this helps you get your setup as good as it can be.

2 Likes

Hi @Olavi20 ,

I selected DirectX 12 in PC mode and restarted MSFS.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I feel I’m in a similar boat, considering opening a ticket with them since they seem to have great customer service, it just doesn’t make sense!

1 Like